• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl food 2020

heidih

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I sent my 3rd year med student nephew this link to the first MD to play. On the food end a kitchen novice friend keeps texting me with hostess anxiety: "should the sour cream based dip be cold or room temp?, how small do I chop the onions for chili topping, what the heck is a cooling rack for the cookies?" Almost funny - poor girl. Just give em beer, onion dip, and chips.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/super-bowl-2020-chiefs-laurent-duvernay-tardif-first-ever-medical-doctor-to-play-in-the-big-game/

Thanks for that link. That's pretty doggoned impressive.

49 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I was also the watch the game girl.....it's hard, too, 'cause you can't leave during commercials to have girl time in the kitchen lol.  That has all changed now that I'm older.  The tv is IN the kitchen 😁

Good move!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I read this in one of our newspapers.  He is a fellow Canadian.

Yup.

Over the last couple of decades Quebec has become a serious football hotbed. Mostly we see those players in the CFL, but a few have made it south of the border.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

No, that would be with meatballs. Another great one, but not on the menu today.

Also had it with some bourbon back in the day with the mini hot dogs......

Course the woman was from Ohio by way of North Carolina

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Congrats Chiefs. No matter what team you're a fan of, if you're a fan of the game, you have to recognize that Mahomes is something special. 

On another note, we had the cheeseburger sliders and some oven potato wedges at game time with plans to do the Cajun chaurice sliders at halftime. Neither of us was hungry enough to eat more by halftime so I have 2 lbs of fresh-made chaurice to find a use for. Probably will just toss it in the freezer for now.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I made a batch of buffalo wings in the Ninja Foodi during half time. They came out pretty good. Crisp and still juicy and no real cleanup. I'm starting to like that thing.

So I missed most of the halftime show. 

Edited by chileheadmike
Can't spell. (log)
  • Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I have been on the phone with various reps since 7am PST. I ask where they are located and what they ate yesterday. They track with most of what was posted here. For a big country there is food unity ;) 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Confession: in 72 years I have never watched a football game from start to finish. And no matter how many times my husband explains the basics, it goes right through me like a bullet hitting no organs. For spectator sports I am dedicated to baseball, tennis and ice skating. Football just makes no sense to me and I am at a loss to understand how so many people are so fanatic and energized by it. To me football players might as well be WWI soldiers fumbling around in a fog of mustard gas. The coverage of those partisan football bar events makes me happy to be anywhere else.

In the past we have traditionally gone to popular movies during the stupor bowl, but this year we were home. I watched more ads than total game time. But we did have special food. I made the Roast Chinese Pork on Garlic Bread sandwich recently featured by the NYT. The history of this sandwich is quite amazing, a mash up of Italian and Chinese, and for some reason a big hit in the Catskills in days of yore. Or maybe still, I have no idea. Growing up in NY I never heard of it; you went to a deli (no pork to be had) or out for Chinese (lots of pork.)  There was a chunk of pork belly in the freezer, so I used that. A really good sandwich, accompanied by a slaw mashup: sort of Asian, sort of pickleback, for a worthy side. Coleman's mustard was used to make a facsimile of the stuff that comes in a little packet, and, as suggested, apricot jam and vinegar was combined to make a pretend duck sauce, It worked.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 5

So, here are the wings.  I actually don't eat chicken wings, so cannot provide any personal commentary, but my husband said they were very good. In fact, he ate them all haha.  He did say that his #1 style of chicken wing remains the non-breaded version, but that these were the best breaded ones he has had.

1253454544_chickenwings2.thumb.jpg.d229982587a56a677d75c15f47838d10.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

these were the best breaded ones he has had.

They do look good. Thanks for reporting back.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Interesting - so many cocktail weenies!  And what's up with the Irish Stew in Iowa?  

Buffalo Chicken Dip was the most Googled recipe from California and I had to Google to find out what it was - a dip FOR chicken or a dip made with chicken?  It's the latter, in case you were wondering.

And while that was the top recipe for the whole state, Tortilla Pinwheels were on top in Los Angeles and 7-Layer Dip in San Francisco.  Must be a lot of it going on in San Diego!

Edited to add that I made guacamole and margaritas, both from the recipes in Nopalito.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

I have never, ever seen Irish stew on any menu nor eaten it at anyone's house.  I think the pollster was nearing a deadline and just drew something out of a hat.  I would like to see the numbers behind that one. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Beef sliders for KS?  Weird.  Very weird lol. 

I started putzing around the kitchen at 1 when the SB pregame show started.  Normally wouldn't watch that early unless it was my Broncos, but did it for Ronnie and the Chiefs.  What a game!  I bet Kansas City was full of celebrating people last night :)  My step daughter lives close to there and was telling us that if they win, she gets the day off work and she and her boyfriend are going to the parade!  I saw on twitter that they are closing all the schools.  How cool!

Anyway, on to the food:

Cherry pie 'cause it's red lol and I've been wanting it.

thumbnail_IMG_7373.jpg.45700780674c69e5ba84433c3b007596.jpg

7 layer dip and chips

thumbnail_IMG_7378.jpg.fcb7ea966c0251f15bb620d838805409.jpg

guacamole also to dip in (yay my avocados were perfect--thanks to the tip to put them in the fridge)

thumbnail_IMG_7375.jpg.528e82272024c3b53a134e3aa5b61efe.jpg

The required deviled eggs

thumbnail_IMG_7374.jpg.46540fdfc3d0e0faf48b55bbe3e2662d.jpg

Made some duck and goose wraps--bacon and jalapeño and did them on the Phillips grill inside.  

Also on there were roasted potatoes and jalapeño brats to dip in the cheese fondue that I forgot to take a picture of.

thumbnail_IMG_7379.jpg.82e97afcfb3a447258d62117bb9be035.jpg

Oh and bread and shrimp to dip also

thumbnail_IMG_7380.jpg.e58b07e33ca2da3a0a2ee62440c8254f.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7377.jpg.2804e1c318de2efb32191ff467cdcd93.jpg

Ronnie wanted me to fry some mushrooms and onion rings, but I felt like this was enough food and I wanted to concentrate on the game lol.  

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, kayb said:

SF's defense is something special, and contained Mahomes for three quarters. That wasn't enough. I agree, he's something special.

KC has so much speed on offense. It's like chasing toddler grandkids around...you can keep it up for a while, but eventually you're just gassed.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 hours ago, TdeV said:

@liamsaunt, those look delicious! Could you provide a recipe please?

marinade:

2 cups buttermilk

1/2 cup hot sauce (I used cholula)

1.5 tsp. cajun seasoning

dredge:

2 cups masa harina

2 cups flour

1.5 tsp. lemon pepper

1 tbsp. garlic powder

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. Creole seasoning

1 tsp. pepper

1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

1/2 tsp oregano

pinch cayenne

You won't need the full amount of dredge, but this keeps for a month.

1. place wings in casserole dish, cover with oil, and bake at 300 for one hour.  Remove wings from oil and place in marinade for a minimum of 4 hours and up to overnight (I strained the oil and saved it to fry the wings the next day)

2. remove wings from marinade, and dredge in dry mix.

3. fry at 350 degrees until done.  The recipe said it would take 10-12 minutes but mine were small and ready a little faster than that. Season with salt.

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1