• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl food 2020

heidih

47 minutes ago, David Ross said:

I've loved Green Goddess for years.  Mother used to buy it when it first came out in supermarkets, but then it seemed to disappear for some years.  I was happy when the original came back, but then I discovered a wonderful recipe for Green Goddess.  The fresh dressing is so delicious, mainly I think because you use tarragon vinegar and fresh tarragon.

It would probably be a delicious dip for chips and such for Super Bowl, and now I'm craving it as a dip for crispy chicken wings. This is a photo from about 8 months ago when I served Green Goddess with grilled chicken. Looking at the recipe now I'm not sure why I added bleu cheese but I remember it was delicious.

Grilled Chicken with Green Goddess Dressing.JPG

For the Green Goddess Dressing-

5 cloves garlic, crushed

3 tbsp. chopped chives

2 tbsp. fresh tarragon

1/2 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley

1/2 cup chopped green onions

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise

1/2 cup sour cream

1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1 tbsp. anchovy paste

2 tbsp. tarragon wine vinegar (substitute apple cide vinegar)

salt and black pepper

Put the garlic, chives, tarragon, parsley and green onions in a mini-food processor and pulse the herbs to a fine mince. Spoon the herb mixture into a large bowl.

Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, anchovy paste and tarragon wine vinegar to the herbs and whisk to combine into a creamy dressing. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. Place in a container and cover and refrigerate while you grill the chicken.

Never knew there was bottled GG. In my day. It was always made fresh.    But I guess, as husband is wont to say, "but then the big boys got their hands on it ..."

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

MC's recipe  for GGD is 

1/4 cup creme fraiche, 2T mayo, 2 anchovy fillets, 2 garlic cloves, 1 T each chive, parsley, basil, 2 t lemon juice, 1/4 t black pepper. Quite good. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

I changed my mind and am cooking for the game now.  Still not hosting a party though.  Since it will just be my husband and myself I am only making two things: America's Test Kitchen skillet pizza, and the Buttermilk and Bourbon recipe for "literally the best fried chicken wings in the history of chicken" (that's the recipe name, I don't actually know if they are the best since I am making them for the first time) with Archie Moore's buffalo sauce on the side for dipping.  

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

But you will surely be reporting back? Please. Must admit the sauce was new to me and I had to look it up. Don’t know if it’s available around here and I’m not sure that I like that kind of sauce enough to worry.  But I’m always happy to learn something new. 

As Anna said: please report back! I have the Buttermilk and Bourbon cookbook and it's chock-full of recipes I want to try. The fried chicken recipe is on my must-try list for when it gets warm enough for me to fry outside. FWIW I think the buttermilk ranch dressing from that book is excellent. I've been able to resist the Momofuku Ranch Dressing frenzy because I'm so satisfied with the Buttermilk and Bourbon version.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

15 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Never knew there was bottled GG. In my day. It was always made fresh.    But I guess, as husband is wont to say, "but then the big boys got their hands on it ..."

Until this thread, I'd only ever seen/heard of it as a short-lived Kraft bottled dressing back in the 70s.

I guess I'd just assumed it was a period piece, like the green appliances.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

16 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

My Mother bought the Wish-Bone Green Goddess when it came out.  I've seen it in plastic bottles with the Kraft label at Walmart, and some supermarkets in our area have Green Goddess in the refrigerated produce section.  It's still of course always best made fresh at home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Ross said:

My Mother bought the Wish-Bone Green Goddess when it came out.  I've seen it in plastic bottles with the Kraft label at Walmart, and some supermarkets in our area have Green Goddess in the refrigerated produce section.  It's still of course always best made fresh at home.

The ingredient listing for the current Kraft Green Goddess does not include anchovies.  I'm pretty sure the old stuff from the '70's did.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

23 hours ago, Anna N said:

But you will surely be reporting back? Please. Must admit the sauce was new to me and I had to look it up. Don’t know if it’s available around here and I’m not sure that I like that kind of sauce enough to worry.  But I’m always happy to learn something new. 

14 hours ago, Smithy said:

As Anna said: please report back! I have the Buttermilk and Bourbon cookbook and it's chock-full of recipes I want to try. The fried chicken recipe is on my must-try list for when it gets warm enough for me to fry outside. FWIW I think the buttermilk ranch dressing from that book is excellent. I've been able to resist the Momofuku Ranch Dressing frenzy because I'm so satisfied with the Buttermilk and Bourbon version.

I will report back and post a picture here later.  That's good to know about the ranch dressing recipe.  I have leftover buttermilk from the chicken marinade, so will whip up a batch to try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The ingredient listing for the current Kraft Green Goddess does not include anchovies.  I'm pretty sure the old stuff from the '70's did.

I think you're right.  And I know anchovies, at least my Mother, were used in a lot of dishes back then.

I have a friend in Arizona who only deep fries for SuperBowl. She has one f those electric countertop fryers and fries wings, taquitos, potato. coconut shrimp. (to serve w/ a loading bar). Then she does not feel wasteful pitching the used oil. Back out to storage till the next February. 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2020 at 12:50 PM, robirdstx said:

Just going to be the two of us, so will probably just do some snacky things. Maybes: Guacamole, salsa and chips. Pumpernickel, carrots and dill dip. Little Smokies in KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. Toasted Ravioli with Marinara sauce.

Final Menu: Dill Dip with Pumpernickel and Carrots; Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Tortilla Chips; Little Smokies in a mix of KC Masterpiece BBQ and Soy Vay Hoisin Garlic Sauces

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Final Menu: Dill Dip with Pumpernickel and Carrots; Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Tortilla Chips; Little Smokies in a mix of KC Masterpiece BBQ and Soy Vay Hoisin Garlic Sauces

Classic!  Little Smokies in the crock pot soaking up the sauce?  Dill dip + pumpernickel appeals.

here kid what ive learnd

over the years :

the Game of your choice

is On the Field

your choice

consider

turning  the sound  off

Ive done this for a long time

its the play 0n the field

not te Hype from the both

just saying

they it.  takes a bit of time to get used to this

but good over all if you enjoy the game

not s0 much the hype

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

h

turning  the sound  off

Ive done this for a long time

its the play 0n the field

not te Hype from the both

When I lived within range of the radio broadcast, I always turned the teevee sound down and piped the radio feed through the surround sound. The local guys were as biased as me. Doesn't seem to work as well streaming over the internet. 

• Like 3

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

On 1/30/2020 at 11:49 AM, chileheadmike said:

My wife decided she was going to understand football. She sat down with me for about 20 minutes during a game earlier this season. She wanted to know what a down was, what 1 and 10 meant.  What's a touchown, extra point and why do they kick the ball. I explain it all and she kind of, sort of gets it.

A yearly event here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Having written sports, among all kinds of other things, at small newspapers for 20 years, I'm fairly conversant with football. And if it's a game I'm interested in and we're, say, at someone's house in a group, I'm typically watching the game with the guys instead of in the kitchen with the women (ain't nothing that'll sex-segregate like a ballgame watch party). I'm generally looked at askance, if it's people who don't know me, and feel like I need to make a reasoned observation or two to establish my "creds."

If it's a game I'm not interested in, I'm in the kitchen with the women. And the food and the liquor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I sent my 3rd year med student nephew this link to the first MD to play. On the food end a kitchen novice friend keeps texting me with hostess anxiety: "should the sour cream based dip be cold or room temp?, how small do I chop the onions for chili topping, what the heck is a cooling rack for the cookies?" Almost funny - poor girl. Just give em beer, onion dip, and chips.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/super-bowl-2020-chiefs-laurent-duvernay-tardif-first-ever-medical-doctor-to-play-in-the-big-game/

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, heidih said:

I sent my 3rd year med student nephew this link to the first MD to play. On the food end a kitchen novice friend keeps texting me with hostess anxiety: "should the sour cream based dip be cold or room temp?, how small do I chop the onions for chili topping, what the heck is a cooling rack for the cookies?" Almost funny - poor girl. Just give em beer, onion dip, and chips.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/super-bowl-2020-chiefs-laurent-duvernay-tardif-first-ever-medical-doctor-to-play-in-the-big-game/

I read this in one of our newspapers.  He is a fellow Canadian.

2 hours ago, robirdstx said:

WHAT!?!   

Not BBQ sauce and grape jelly?🙄

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Having written sports, among all kinds of other things, at small newspapers for 20 years, I'm fairly conversant with football. And if it's a game I'm interested in and we're, say, at someone's house in a group, I'm typically watching the game with the guys instead of in the kitchen with the women (ain't nothing that'll sex-segregate like a ballgame watch party). I'm generally looked at askance, if it's people who don't know me, and feel like I need to make a reasoned observation or two to establish my "creds."

If it's a game I'm not interested in, I'm in the kitchen with the women. And the food and the liquor.

I was also the watch the game girl.....it's hard, too, 'cause you can't leave during commercials to have girl time in the kitchen lol.  That has all changed now that I'm older.  The tv is IN the kitchen 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

The tv is IN the kitchen 😁

You show them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog