• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl food 2020

heidih

The best parts of the chicken wings are all the little crispy bits and skin...adding any liquid to that totally defeats the purpose!

I like to make a thin mayo/dill/garlic sauce and a hot sauce and double dip!  :)

• Like 3

On 1/29/2020 at 4:20 PM, Shelby said:

I bought 4 at the grocery store on Monday.  They were hard as rocks.  They are now a bit softer...I'm hoping they don't go bad bad so they make it until Sunday.  Such  delicate balance between hard and rotten lol.

Hard avocados here too. While all the stores have them at very low prices, they'll never soften enough to make my guacamole.  That's ok, I've got some other recipes I'm planning to make.

19 hours ago, heidih said:

Dill - interesting  fresh or dried - would not have thought of that But but but - we had rain so the young wild fennel, abounds - oh the possibilities.  https://www.growforagecookferment.com/foraging-for-wild-fennel/

I have a dill patch in the garden that I freeze large batches of - it freezes fantastically and is far superior to the dried stuff!  So in winter, that's what I use for the sauce!

Re: the avocados - little trick I have learned to hasten the ripening process is to put them into a paper bag and seal it up well.  Check daily, as soon as you can push your thumb into the top of the avocado, put it in the fridge!  It will last in the fridge for over a week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I have a dill patch in the garden that I freeze large batches of - it freezes fantastically and is far superior to the dried stuff!  So in winter, that's what I use for the sauce!

Re: the avocados - little trick I have learned to hasten the ripening process is to put them into a paper bag and seal it up well.  Check daily, as soon as you can push your thumb into the top of the avocado, put it in the fridge!  It will last in the fridge for over a week.

This avocado truc is amazing and so counterintuitive!  Thanks much!

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Doing a taco bar this year. Making carnitas and a bean/squash veg option, with all the usual things that go with it - pineapple salsa, guacamole, cheese, etc. Also making sweet & spicy wings, skordalia (hubby's request - weird, I know), brie baked wonton, and rice krispies treats.

I hope the avocados ripen in time.

No horse in this race again, but nominally rooting for San Francisco, because of the whole west coast thing....

• Like 4

For Superbowl I'm doing one easy recipe and one a little more difficult. This is an easy and quick recipe for fries using the unique spice Za'atar and a chermoula dipping sauce.  I usually make homemade fries, but after creating and testing this recipe, these are just as delicious and so easy to make.

Za'atar-Spiced Fries with Creamy Chermoula Dipping Sauce-

Zatar-Spiced Fries.JPG

Zatar-Spiced Fries-

1 lb. bag of frozen extra-crispy shoestring fries

cooking spray

2 tsp. Zatar spice

salt and pepper to taste

Creamy Chermoula Dipping Sauce-

1/2 tsp. ground coriander

1/2 tsp. ground cumin

1/2 tsp. dried red chile flakes

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tsp. grated lemon zest

1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano

1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary

3/4 cup Avocado oil mayonnaise

2 tsp. Zatar spice

salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Creamy Chermoula Dipping Sauce-

In a bowl combine the coriander, cumin, dried red chile, garlic, mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, rosemary and Zatar spice and stir to blend.  Keep the sauce covered and refrigerated while you make the fries.

Zatar-Spiced Fries

Spray the fries with cooking spray then prepare the fries according to package instructions. When the fries are done cooking, spray again with cooking spray and sprinkle with the Zatar spice and season with salt and pepper.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

This week I've been testing a new recipe and it's really delicious.  The pretzel rolls aren't great, so I've got to keep working on those, but for Super Bowl I'll just buy good bakery rolls.  I need to work on getting the outside of the pretzel roll a little more crisp and hard.  The texture is nice and chewy and they have good flavor. A friend from Pennsylvannia sent me a requested recipe for Beef on Weck.  The Weck Rolls that is.  Out West most folks haven't heard of that type of bread/roll, so I'll give it a go.

The beef is fabulous.  A few years back I got interested in this technique for using eye of round for roast beef.  It was a bit hard for me to think of using that cut for roast beef because in our family roast beef was always a rib roast.  And eye of round is hard to find in the supermarkets up here, but there is a large discount store that always has it.  Last week it was only $5 a lb which is a bargain.  You basically blast it in a hot oven and take it out when it registers rare.  It will continue to cook for a while up to medium rare.  I actually only cook it to 115 degrees and let it sit to room temperature.  It usually ends up at 125, which is the rare factor I like.  The dressing is just mayonnaise, horseradish and Dijon mustard.  I usually just like it like that, but added Swiss cheese for the photo.

It will be a big hit at a small Super Bowl party for people to build their own sandwiches.  I say small party because people love this sandwich and it would take a lot of roast beef to serve a crowd.

Caraway Roast Beef on Bavarian Pretzel Rolls.JPG

For the roast beef-

2 lb. Eye of Round roast or sirloin roast, chuck eye tender roast

salt and black pepper

2 tsp. caraway seeds

1 tbsp. olive oil

4 slices Swiss cheese

4 Bavarian pretzel rolls or brioche buns

For the mayonnaise sauce-

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 tbsp. Dijon mustard

1 tbso. horseradish sauce

2 tsp. caraway seeds

Instructions

Roast the beef-

Heat the oven to 450. Place a rack over a baking sheet. Season the roast all over with salt, pepper and the caraway seeds.

Heat the olive oil in a saute pan and sear the beef until it's browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Place the roast on a rack over a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. When the meat registers 115 on a digital thermometer, take it out of the oven. As the beef rests it will continue to cook to 125 for perfect rare to medium-rare. Cover the roast with cling film and let it chill overnight in the fridge.

Make the mayonnaise sauce and serve the sandwiches-

In a small mixing bowl add the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, horseradish sauce and caraway seeds and stir to combine.

Heat the broiler. Thinly slice the roast beef. Spoon some of the mayonnaise sauce on the bottom of a bun. Pile some of the roast beef on top of the bottom bun.

Add sliced Swiss cheese on top of the roast beef and run under the broiler for just a few seconds to melt the cheese. Add the top bun and serve with chips and dill pickles.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Someone upthread mentioned Rice Krispy treats -- as I have a box I bought to do them for Christmas treats, along with marshmallows, and used neither,  that sounds like a plan.

I am making citrus chicken from the NYT tomorrow, because I have chicken thighs thawed and need to use them. Wonder what sort of dip I could concoct with leftover chicken, cream cheese, & etc.? Have a gracious plenty of chips.

Discovered a bottle of champagne left over from New Year's reposing in the auxiliary fridge. There may be mimosas.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

Those Rice Krispy things often take people down the best path of nostalgia - have at it! Just please do not do the food color thing.  

All I have ever done for RK treats to fancy 'em up is add colored sugar sprinkles for Christmas.

Well, and there was the time I squished them out thin on a cookie sheet, cut them out with a star cutter, and sprinkled with graham cracker crumbs to make starfish for a grandkid's birthday party. That was pretty much a disaster. I'll not do that again.

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, David Ross said:

For the mayonnaise sauce-

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 tbsp. Dijon mustard

1 tbso. horseradish sauce

2 tsp. caraway seeds

My late wife's family used to do a Christmas get together. We always brought a roast beef of some sort (sometimes sirloin, sometimes tenderloin). We always made a green goddess dressing. Both were a big hit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dans said:

My late wife's family used to do a Christmas get together. We always brought a roast beef of some sort (sometimes sirloin, sometimes tenderloin). We always made a green goddess dressing. Both were a big hit.

I think we need a Green Goddess topic. I have Melissa Clark's recipe open on the counter. Sounds so good I would be dippin all day. 

• Like 1

I changed my mind and am cooking for the game now.  Still not hosting a party though.  Since it will just be my husband and myself I am only making two things: America's Test Kitchen skillet pizza, and the Buttermilk and Bourbon recipe for "literally the best fried chicken wings in the history of chicken" (that's the recipe name, I don't actually know if they are the best since I am making them for the first time) with Archie Moore's buffalo sauce on the side for dipping.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

(that's the recipe name, I don't actually know if they are the best since I am making them for the first time) 

But you will surely be reporting back? Please. Must admit the sauce was new to me and I had to look it up. Don’t know if it’s available around here and I’m not sure that I like that kind of sauce enough to worry.  But I’m always happy to learn something new. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, heidih said:

I think we need a Green Goddess topic. I have Melissa Clark's recipe open on the counter. Sounds so good I would be dippin all day. 

I've loved Green Goddess for years.  Mother used to buy it when it first came out in supermarkets, but then it seemed to disappear for some years.  I was happy when the original came back, but then I discovered a wonderful recipe for Green Goddess.  The fresh dressing is so delicious, mainly I think because you use tarragon vinegar and fresh tarragon.

It would probably be a delicious dip for chips and such for Super Bowl, and now I'm craving it as a dip for crispy chicken wings. This is a photo from about 8 months ago when I served Green Goddess with grilled chicken. Looking at the recipe now I'm not sure why I added bleu cheese but I remember it was delicious.

Grilled Chicken with Green Goddess Dressing.JPG

For the Green Goddess Dressing-

5 cloves garlic, crushed

3 tbsp. chopped chives

2 tbsp. fresh tarragon

1/2 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley

1/2 cup chopped green onions

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise

1/2 cup sour cream

1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1 tbsp. anchovy paste

2 tbsp. tarragon wine vinegar (substitute apple cide vinegar)

salt and black pepper

Put the garlic, chives, tarragon, parsley and green onions in a mini-food processor and pulse the herbs to a fine mince. Spoon the herb mixture into a large bowl.

Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, anchovy paste and tarragon wine vinegar to the herbs and whisk to combine into a creamy dressing. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. Place in a container and cover and refrigerate while you grill the chicken.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

On 1/29/2020 at 5:26 PM, heidih said:

I am not a football fan (though from a major football school - OJ, AD, Haden....) ) My long out of country sister was freaking at the giant bags of tortilla chips being featured.  I had to remind her that it was the run up to SuperBowl  The internet is flooded with game day ideas for  food. So what is on your menus?

Chicharrones, of course. ¬¬

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My minion/Oompa Loompa (daughter) requested cheeseburger sliders. That wasn't even on the edge of the radar for ideas I was having but having made no real plans still, I decided to go with it. So sliders in the style of White Castles are being joined by sausage po boy sliders using a batch of Cajun chaurice sausage I mixed up today. Burger sliders will be beef, onions, cheese (yes, the processed stuff) and mustard on some (purchased) nice soft slider-sized rolls. The chaurice will be joined by an aioli made from mayo, garlic and cayenne hot sauce along with lettuce and tomato on the same rolls as the burgers. Pickles on the side for both. I briefly considered some form of chicken slider as well but punted that one right away. Probably will do some form of fries or potato wedges to go with the sliders because the kid will eat that as well. Unless I decide to do a dessert, which is doubtful, that's the entire menu. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.