• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl food 2020

heidih

I am not a football fan (though from a major football school - OJ, AD, Haden....) ) My long out of country sister was freaking at the giant bags of tortilla chips being featured.  I had to remind her that it was the run up to SuperBowl  The internet is flooded with game day ideas for  food. So what is on your menus?

• Like 1

Plan to watch the Puppy Bowl and ask my hubby "Whose a good girl?"  Might make some puppy chow😆  I haven't willingly watched a football game since I was in high school and never mind how long ago that was!  Come on baseball season....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Our menu is pretty much the same every year - Havana Moon chili from epicurious.com (minus the almonds, sub golden raisins for dark and extra olives), some variation of chicken wings, nachos, bleu cheese dip and crudites, and the Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies from Maida Heatter's Book of Great American Desserts and The Ultimate Carmelitas from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Christmas Cookie book.

I'm only in it for the commercials, to be honest.  I don't talk during the game because I ask too many questions and can't figure out what is going on, on the field. I'm much more into the Puppy Bowl!

• Like 3

I haven't given it a lot of thought; usually it's just me. I'll probably just make myself up a spread of cheese, olives, pickles, charcuterie, that kind of thing. And maybe brownies or coconut macaroons.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Yes I only watch the bits online that make me conversant next day. But I do think it is a great window into middle America snack food traditions.  Kinda intersects with the jalapeno poppers recently discussed 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Finally, this year, at least I care about who is playing....in a negative way lol.  I love football.   I am a die hard Broncos fan so the Chiefs are my arch enemy.  Ronnie, although if it was my Broncos playing it would be different because he's kind of a fair weather fan lol, is a Chiefs fan.  At least this year I have a strong root against team :) Booooo Chiefs!  And Ronnie has a strong root for team---yay Chiefs lol.

I've saved some duck tenders (like chicken tenders) to wrap with jalapeño and bacon.  Going to make a fondue and dip various things.....brats, bread cubes and what ever else I can figure out.  Ronnie wants deviled eggs so they will make an appearance. This is already enough for us, but I'm sure I'll do more.  I am craving 7 layer mex. dip and chips.  As I said, there will be more.  Tomorrow I will think harder on it.

• Like 6

Thanks Shelby - is that just for you 2? I love that the "holiday" drives avocado prices down )  My friend used to do a big big party and aside from all the dippy chippy cheesy stuff ( well beer lubed) the winner seemed to be very well seasoned giant bowl of potato salad to be had with grilled hot dogs. Funny sweets never  seemed to be around. You guys?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

Thanks Shelby - is that just for you 2? I love that the "holiday" drives avocado prices down )  My friend used to do a big big party and aside from all the dippy chippy cheesy stuff ( well beer lubed) the winner seemed to be very well seasoned giant bowl of potato salad to be had with grilled hot dogs. Funny sweets never  seemed to be around. You guys?

Yeah, just the two of us.  Yes, it's over kill, but hell.  How often does a team that one of us likes make it this far?  It's a good excuse to eat.  Plus, I have a dang icky periodontist appt. coming up in Feb.  So, why not splurge ;) 

We are not big sweet eaters at all.  So, nah, we'd rather have our calories be savory.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

I love that the "holiday" drives avocado prices down

I bought 4 at the grocery store on Monday.  They were hard as rocks.  They are now a bit softer...I'm hoping they don't go bad bad so they make it until Sunday.  Such  delicate balance between hard and rotten lol.

17 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I bought 4 at the grocery store on Monday.  They were hard as rocks.  They are now a bit softer...I'm hoping they don't go bad bad so they make it until Sunday.  Such  delicate balance between hard and rotten lol.

Put them in the fridge when they hit perfect ripeness, they will hold for several days, I have kept them a week that way.

I am torn, we usually make a big sheet pan of nachos and have ice cream, but I have blood being drawn Monday so I have to keep it healthy...maybe some guac with rice cakes😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I'm a Saints fan... they didn't make it. I'm not particularly a Baltimore fan but I was sure they were going... they didn't make it. I could cheer for the Titans, as a diehard Bama fan of more years than I'm gonna put a number to, I'm a Derrick Henry fan... they didn't make it. So I'm gonna have to pull for the Chiefs. Not because I'm a fan but I can get behind pulling for Mahomes. He was exciting to watch through his college career and he's carried that same excitement onto the big stage. My game menu is usually written in stone by this point... it currently sits at zero other than a few jotted down maybes. I really have no idea right now what I'll end up doing but I need to get it figured out soon.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I am not cooking football food or hosting anyone this year.  I don't really like football, so my husband and I have an agreement that I only host and cook when his team (the Patriots) are in it.  Which means I have been hosting a lot lately, and frankly I won't miss the craziness.  If football comes in to the equation at all on Sunday I guess we will root in a lackluster way for the 49ers since Jimmy Garopollo used to play for the Patriots.  After the Patriots were out for the year, I was sort of hoping ex Patriot Mike Vrabel would pull off a win as coach of the Titans and that did not work, so by typing this I have likely consigned the 49ers to a loss haha.  

• Like 1

I am planning the menu based on the team cities... 

Kansas: ribs, bbq

San Francisco: sour dough bread (Whole Foods bakery makes a good one) & chocolate cookies with ghiradelli chocolate chips

Obviously there are a few menu holes to fill in... I might go off theme for a salad, vegetables, sides, etc.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm a Saints fan

Default after my beloved Broncos, ME TOO.  My wonderful step dad is Cajun through and through and loves his Saints.....or 'Aints when they do poorly :( . 

• Haha 1

I forgot to mention old reliable. In the crockpot - refried beans, Velveeta, and some crushed tomato product like Rotel. Spooned onto warmed tortillas or dipped with corn chips (kinds actually like the dipper Fritos) Nothing like the morning after spooning it up onto a tortilla, nuking for a sec, and walking onto your 3 foot square 2nd story porch and watching the waves break --oh so long ago  Oh and the only reason you are up so early is cuz the dang pigeons in the big tree outside your window started cooing at dawn!. The ones who crashed on the floor or couches ya just try not to trip over. I suppose if I'd made a pot of coffee they might have awakened...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Plan to watch the Puppy Bowl and ask my hubby "Whose a good girl?"  Might make some puppy chow😆  I haven't willingly watched a football game since I was in high school and never mind how long ago that was!  Come on baseball season....

Two weeks to pitchers and catchers … 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

If I can remember , guac.

Ill look for two avocados  etc

haven't made that in a long time

TJ's sampled

http://freezermealfrenzy.com/2018/12/trader-joes-coconut-shrimp-review/

I don't care for coconut shavings , a texture thing   I like coconut flavor though

these were pretty good.  with some Sweet/Hot Chili sauce

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/most-popular-trader-joes-item-america/022519

• Like 1

I'm a lifelong Chiefs fan. I grew up in Kansas just outside of Kansas City. I remember watching the last time the Chiefs were in the SB with my dad. It's been a lot of disappointment since then. Hate the Broncos, I like Shelby a little less now (nah, how could anyone?)

No one here seems very interested in a SB party. It's late on a Sunday night and no one wants to go out. My wife hates all sports. It will just be me in my man room with the TV and surround. Kinda sad.  

I would love to do a brisket on the smoker, but with just my wife and I here, it would take a month to eat it all. I'll probably do some ribs and mac n cheese and collard greens. Depends on what I find in the stores.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Only on eG is ribs, mac n' cheese and collards a little bit of feast!  I am there in spirit. My law firm supervising attorney was a basketball guy (played college) and his dad was an NFL referee. I was clueless and just nodded my head and smiled, 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, heidih said:

Only on eG is ribs, mac n' cheese and collards a little bit of feast!  I am there in spirit. My law firm supervising attorney was a basketball guy (played college) and his dad was an NFL referee. I was clueless and just nodded my head and smiled, 

My wife decided she was going to understand football. She sat down with me for about 20 minutes during a game earlier this season. She wanted to know what a down was, what 1 and 10 meant.  What's a touchown, extra point and why do they kick the ball. I explain it all and she kind of, sort of gets it.

A couple weeks later we were talking to friends. She exclaims proudly that she knows everything about football. 

I don't think she's watched play since.  She's got it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Though I no longer have time to avidly watch football, I am a old school 9'ers fan from back in the Joe Montana/Steve Yong days....

So we will be watching - a rough menu indicates chicken wings (dry, with sauces to dip....who likes mushy wings!?), buffalo chicken dip, cheese nachos, and veggies to help balance things (sorta...)

• Like 3