• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb Chop Za'atar

Soul_Venom

I am working on a dish but have hit a wall of inexperience. I have some za'atar, the real stuff made with hyysop and not some thyme substitute. My first attempt mixed the za'atar with panko. I salted and peppered the lamb then coated it in the panko mix and fried it. Based on the results I decided to drop the panko entirely. I also resolved to salt more heavily on my next attempt than I did the first time. What I am concerned about is the pepper. I don't feel that black pepper conveys the right flavor to pair with za'atar rubbed lamb. I would appreciate input from someone else with more experience with different varieties of pepper.

I don’t think you need any pepper. If you want a little heat you might try making a paste with some harissa and the za’atar. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I agree with Heidi and Anna. Aleppo (style) pepper would work. A touch of harissa would do. I think black pepper would overwhem the other flavors, and I don't think I've ever had it with za'atar. Maybe, just maybe, a touch of white pepper...but that seems to go in a more Greek direction than za'atar would suggest.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown