• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soup Base , Stock and Gravy Base

rotuts

Ive never done the bag/ice technique 

gelatin is in solution , and water soluble 

I doubt , but have not done your experiment myself , that

there was significant gelatin on the ice bag or ice bowl

there might have been some , but the concentration of gelatin in the stock

( the solution ) would not have changed.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

Mystery time:

I had 3 chickens in my freezer, and since I'm stuck at home I figured might as well bust out the stockpot. In they went, covered with water, for a very long simmer (about 6-7 hours). Tasting along the way, it was super chickeny and rich. I made about 7-8 quarts, so after straining the solids out I decided to reduce it down to about 5 quarts for easier storage, in a standard sized pot. I then cooled it down in that smaller pot first by putting a ziplock full of ice and water in, and then by floating a stainless steel bowl on top with ice in it, until the liquid was cool enough to put in the fridge. Both the ziplock and the stainless bowl had quite a lot of fat solidify on them, which was then discarded/washed off.

This morning, I checked the chilled stock, expecting it to be very solid and gelatinous and it wasn't! Is it possible that some of the "fat" solidified onto the bag or bowl was actually gelatin? And does gelatin rise to the top, able to be skimmed off? If anything, the reduced stock tastes LESS gelatinous than the unreduced stock did when tasted before straining. What's going on?

Weird. I suppose t hat some gelatin could have exited with the bag/ bowl.  The fat would've been only at the top of the bowl and would've been more or less white in color. Gelatin would've been the color of the stock

Were the bones exposed directly to the cooking liquid?  I suppose that, if buried in meat,  the gelatin couldn't leach out as bone collagen was denatured

Edited by gfweb (log)

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Weird. I suppose t hat some gelatin could have exited with the bag/ bowl.  The fat would've been only at the top of the bowl and would've been more or less white in color. Gelatin would've been the color of the stock

Were the bones exposed directly to the cooking liquid?  I suppose that, if buried in meat,  the gelatin couldn't leach out as bone collagen was denatured

So, some of the bones were. My method is:

Parboil whole chicken (or chicken parts, but yesterday was 3 whole chickens), dump the water out, rinse the chickens, clean the pot. Return to pot and fill with cold water to cover. Bring to boil then turn off for an hour, covered - remove poached chicken breasts and return the rest of the chicken to the pot, then add aromatics, and let simmer for several more hours. 

So I guess the the bones of everything except the breast were mostly still surrounded by meat, but does it make that much difference?

@Hassouni 

Ill suggest this 

as it has worked for me , many times.

if you have , or should get and InstantPot

please consider this method

as its beyond easy 

6 qt or 8 qt   at an an attractive price 

do no dismiss this Cooking Instrument 

for stock ,  its worth an an attractive price 

you simply  do Stock 1  , then chill , use that base for Stock 2 etc

you put the Pot in cold tap water , and might refresh that cold tap water 

to get the stock to a temp you might put in your refrigerator 

then skim off the fat later , to discard or _#%#^%(#%_^%^

its so easy , and push button simple

this has be revise on the iPot thread 

give up those hours 

and do something more interesting 

this is not joke  but please review and consider.

of course , if you are looking at a bazillion gallons of stock

for the first  Pass

'

you will need Less than a Bazillion iPots 

easy peasey 

On 3/25/2020 at 11:09 AM, Shelby said:

Dove into the box last night to make a sauce for roasted goose.  I chose the Classic French Demi Glace.  The inside of the package had a good sounding recipe so I followed it.

Soften some onion in butter.  Add sliced mushrooms.  Cook until done.  Remove from pan.  Add some red wine and bring to boil.  Whisk in Demi Glace and a bit of cream.  Add onions and mushrooms back in.  Salt and pepper to taste.  OH was it good.  Had a lot of depth and flavor.  

IMG_7606.JPG.9d7532b6a61ecc3a7e8de314c41c2297.JPG

Years ago, a friend of mine gifted me the Veal stock one of these since earlier I had complained that it was so time consuming and expensive to make veal stock on one's own...  I quite enjoyed it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hassouni said:

So I guess the the bones of everything except the breast were mostly still surrounded by meat, but does it make that much difference?

I think it might if it was a lot of meat.

15 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I think it might if it was a lot of meat.

They were chickens quite on the small side but I’ll keep that in mind

@rotuts we have an instant pot at the bar and it’s great. I just don’t have space at home right now 

• Like 1