• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry Bundt cake

DannyA

Every time I make Bundt cake it’s dry. Different recipes, different methods etc. If I have it from a grocery store it’s so moist and almost oily- and I don’t know how to recreate that! Do you have any trips on making it super moist? 

Using oil is helpful, but I don't like using it due to it's (lack of) flavor. In some cakes, where the flavor will work I use olive oil.

Another few ideas:

Adding acidity, in the form of citrus juice, or as I tend to do sour cream.

Not overtaking (the number one cause of dry cakes that I see).

Soaking with thin sugar syrup after baking (you can usually reduce some sugar from the cake itself and use it for the syrup).

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Have you checked your oven's temperature with a thermometer, and/or started checking the doneness of your cake a good 5–10 minutes before what the recipe says? It's possible that you're overbaking your cake and drying it out.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2