• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

England's First Food Library to Open

liuzhou

This is a great idea. I think. A food library is to open in Northampton, England on January 25th - Chinese New Year's Day and Burn's Night.

We have collected over 300 books to date, on subjects such as food growing, foraging, eating health, food sustainability, history, the curious, adventurous and creative, plus over 150 books of recipes from all over the world (see our book index online).

As well as a home for the book collection, The Food Library space is a working kitchen and garden; a lab, where we take books off shelves and use them as reference to create products, meals and events.

I know there are people here who have more than 450 food related books at home, but it's a start! The book index online is a rabbit hole.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

This is a great idea. I think. A food library is to open in Northampton, England on January 25th - Chinese New Year's Day and Burn's Night.

I know there are people here who have more than 450 food related books at home, but it's a start! The book index online is a rabbit hole.

What exactly do you mean by a 'rabbit hole', please. 

And are you planning to join?  Is anyone here planning to join in on this venture?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

51 minutes ago, Darienne said:

What exactly do you mean by a 'rabbit hole', please. 

And are you planning to join?  Is anyone here planning to join in on this venture?

A rabbit hole is where you follow one internet link then find three more which each lead to nine more all equally followable, etc, etc. Then you suddenly wake up and find you've burned your dinner!

I'm about 6,000 miles from Northampton, so I won't be joining immediately, but  I applaud the venture.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

A rabbit hole is where you follow one internet link then find three more which each lead to nine more all equally followable, etc, etc. Then you suddenly wake up and find you've burned your dinner!

I understand what a rabbit hole is but I could not get any of the links to take me anywhere even though I was prepared to follow. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I understand what a rabbit hole is but I could not get any of the links to take me anywhere even though I was prepared to follow. 

Well, what I meant was that it lists a lot of books that sound interesting and then I went searching for them..

I wasn't being specific to this site when I responded to @Darienne's question. Just to the rabbit hole concept in general.

41 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Well, what I meant was that it lists a lot of books that sound interesting and then I went searching for them..

I wasn't being specific to this site when I responded to @Darienne's question. Just to the rabbit hole concept in general.

OK that makes sense now.  I jumped to the conclusion that you were able to go down the rabbit hole from the link you posted but I found much of that site still under construction and none of the books were live links. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog