• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Bentley

Bentley

I have been working on some soft caramels inspired by Kriss Harvey (who was inspired by Jacques Genin and Henri Leroux).  He talks on his instagram about caramelizing all the ingredients other than butter (sugar, glucose, cream, salt and vanilla) together to get the right flavor and chewiness. I haven't been able to find a single recipe that does it this way.  Every caramel recipe I can find calls for caramelizing the sugar first then deglazing with warm cream.  So I've been experimenting on my own (I've gone through a LOT of sugar, butter and cream) with less than satisfactory results. I've been putting all the ingredients in a saucepan, other than the butter and cooking to the desired temperature while stirring, then removing from the heat and adding the butter than pouring into a frame.  I've been sticking with basic salted caramels.  I haven't wanted to try to do fruit caramels until I get the basics down.  I did read through an earlier thread on Genin caramels with a recipe by member Schneich - it looks like he caramelizes the sugar and then adds the cream.  Kriss Harvey also does not appear to be using sorbitolm, lethicin or sodium bicarbonate.

Has anyone made caramels the Kriss Harvey way?  I'd love to get some guidance or tips.  

Bentley

Bentley

I have been working on some soft caramels inspired by Kriss Harvey (who was inspired by Jacques Genin and Henri Leroux).  He talks on his instagram about caramelizing all the ingredients other than butter (sugar, glucose, cream, salt and vanilla) together to get the right flavor and chewiness. I haven't been able to find a single recipe that does it this way.  Every caramel recipe I can find calls for caramelizing the sugar first then deglazing with warm cream.  So I've been experimenting on my own (I've gone through a LOT of sugar, butter and cream) with less than satisfactory results. I've been putting all the ingredients in a saucepan, other than the butter and cooking to the desired temperature while stirring, then removing from the heat and adding the butter than pouring into a frame.  I've been sticking with basic salted caramels.  I haven't wanted to try to do fruit caramels until I get the basics down.

Has anyone made caramels the Kriss Harvey way?  I'd love to get some guidance or tips.