• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Nutmeg nubbins

Specifically, what to do with the little bits of nutmeg after you've grated most of it. There's a point when I don't want to risk the skin on my fingers and I just grab a new piece, but now I have a collection of little pointy bits of perfectly good nutmeg. Any ideas? Maybe embed them in sugar the way you'd do with a truffle in rice?

Nancy

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

If you have a spice / coffee grinder then you can grind the pieces, keep the nutmeg powder in an airtight container / small jar / whatever, then pick up what you need each time. Beware the powder looses aroma with time.

If you use nutmeg in baked goods, then you can grind a small nutmeg piece with some sugar or flour.

Teo

Teo

Tuck them in the powdered sugar sprinkler along with the vanilla bean leftovers. My childhood regular. 

IMG_1180.JPG

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this