• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
weinoo

Cookbooks 2020

4 hours ago, heidih said:

Just pulled trigger on South by Sean Brock after listening to his interviews on Serious Eats  https://www.amazon.com/South-Essential-Recipes-New-Explorations/dp/1579657168

Oddly, I just bought the dead tree edition after finding it at 50 percent off at the local Barnes and Noble. I've paged through but mostly to look at some of the titles of recipes.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 minutes ago, kayb said:

Oddly, I just bought the dead tree edition after finding it at 50 percent off at the local Barnes and Noble. I've paged through but mostly to look at some of the titles of recipes.

Thoughts? It sounded like a book with narrative which is my preference. 

15 hours ago, heidih said:

Thoughts? It sounded like a book with narrative which is my preference. 

Just returned my copy to the library.  I didn't copy any recipes out so it was a reading cookbook for me not a cooking cookbook.  You will be happy as there is quite a bit of narrative.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Read through probably half of it this morning. I like it, and it was worth the price. No really earthshaking recipes, and I wish he wasn't so brand-centric (Is Anson Mills rice THAT much different from Riceland?). Lot of emphasis on ramps, so I'm glad I learned the cocktail onion + scallion greens sub for that. I particularly liked the preserving and fermenting sections. Several in there I'll be trying this spring/summer.

Yes, lots of narrative. And great photographs.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My lovely sister got me these for my birthday. Dishoom is a kind of deep reverie on Bombay life and history through cafe and restaurant food. Rick Stein's book is a more straightforward travel cookbook. His recipes work solidly, but it's his passion and humour that keep me coming back for more.

IMG_20200119_233843.jpg

• Like 5

Sign in to follow this