• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks 2020

weinoo

4 hours ago, heidih said:

Just pulled trigger on South by Sean Brock after listening to his interviews on Serious Eats  https://www.amazon.com/South-Essential-Recipes-New-Explorations/dp/1579657168

Oddly, I just bought the dead tree edition after finding it at 50 percent off at the local Barnes and Noble. I've paged through but mostly to look at some of the titles of recipes.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 minutes ago, kayb said:

Oddly, I just bought the dead tree edition after finding it at 50 percent off at the local Barnes and Noble. I've paged through but mostly to look at some of the titles of recipes.

Thoughts? It sounded like a book with narrative which is my preference. 

15 hours ago, heidih said:

Thoughts? It sounded like a book with narrative which is my preference. 

Just returned my copy to the library.  I didn't copy any recipes out so it was a reading cookbook for me not a cooking cookbook.  You will be happy as there is quite a bit of narrative.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Read through probably half of it this morning. I like it, and it was worth the price. No really earthshaking recipes, and I wish he wasn't so brand-centric (Is Anson Mills rice THAT much different from Riceland?). Lot of emphasis on ramps, so I'm glad I learned the cocktail onion + scallion greens sub for that. I particularly liked the preserving and fermenting sections. Several in there I'll be trying this spring/summer.

Yes, lots of narrative. And great photographs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My lovely sister got me these for my birthday. Dishoom is a kind of deep reverie on Bombay life and history through cafe and restaurant food. Rick Stein's book is a more straightforward travel cookbook. His recipes work solidly, but it's his passion and humour that keep me coming back for more.

IMG_20200119_233843.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Here's one I picked up on eBay...

1191297478_SASBook.thumb.JPG.7a0eedb104b7f5a2340f6f7cca86d1b5.JPG

Fun to read and grab some ideas from. 

Remember, travel used to be fancy!

Fantastic

I've just finished reading Nancy Singleton Hachisu's Food Artisans of Japan.  This is an odd book for a couple reasons:  for one the price keeps going down on amazon.  I bought at $8.34.  It is now $6.63.  It had been $35.00.

For another the recipes from chefs and artisans appear uncurated.  Thus the four hour turnips cooked sous vide at an unknown temperature.  And the rice rinsed three hours under running water.

Still, interesting at the asking price.  Her book was cheap but the bottle of four year Yamaroku shoyu she convinced me to buy was not.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 3:56 PM, Kerala said:

My lovely sister got me these for my birthday. Dishoom is a kind of deep reverie on Bombay life and history through cafe and restaurant food. Rick Stein's book is a more straightforward travel cookbook. His recipes work solidly, but it's his passion and humour that keep me coming back for more.

IMG_20200119_233843.jpg

Just saw a great(Zoom) author interview with the Author / Owner of Dishoom with Evan Kleiman put on by 'Now Serving' the Cookbook store in Los Angeles. Knew nothing about the restaurants going in but wow -now I am pretty excited to pick up this book. The food and restaurant sound very interesting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Duke's Mayonnaise Cookbook...

A couple of recipes were featured in Parade Magazine this past weekend.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 hours ago, suzilightning said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Duke's Mayonnaise Cookbook...

A couple of recipes were featured in Parade Magazine this past weekend.

Until this post, I didn't know about The Duke's Mayonnaise Cookbook! It looks like fun. A cookbook with a forward by Nathalie Dupree is off to a good start. 

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

Found this link in my TASTE email...from a forum/web site about cookbooks (StainedPageNews.com)...

"Introducing the Cookbooks of Fall 2020!"

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My copy of Vivian Howard’s new book, “This will make it taste good” arrived yesterday! On first glance a very different cookbook than “Deep Run Roots”. Looking forward to trying out some of her recipes and “master” condiments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, curls said:

My copy of Vivian Howard’s new book, “This will make it taste good” arrived yesterday! On first glance a very different cookbook than “Deep Run Roots”. Looking forward to trying out some of her recipes and “master” condiments.

I got my copy yesterday, too.  I really love the concept.  I ordered a jar of the Red Weapons from her site a while back and am looking forward to making up a batch of my own now. 

• Like 2

I think I’ll start with her Little Green Dress recipes. The green sauce looks like something you can easily have on hand year round. Looking forward to making the tomato based items next year (unless I can still find some good quality tomatoes).

• Like 2