• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Selmi Machine - Dark Chocolate Tempering Issues

eglies

Hello everyone! 

Im in need of your expertise! Ive been having troubles with my machine, or maybe not even my machine. 

Ive attached an image (hopefully its clear) to show you a mould that has different tempering problems. I dont understand how one mould can have several different tempering issues. 

Ive also been advised to have my machine between 30C-31C, however all ive known is to use dark chocolate between 31-32C. Ive done tests from 30C-32C and none have the outcome that is expected, that shiny chocolate. 

Please share your knowledge :) I really need it!! 

Thank you!!! 

IMG_7731.jpg

@keychris at the moment my workshop is cool. I work in temperatures around 21C. Isnt that ok? 
But i have realised that outside is colder than inside and i dont know if this has to do with the levels of humidity in the room at the moment. 

Edited by eglies (log)

6 hours ago, eglies said:

@keychris at the moment my workshop is cool. I work in temperatures around 21C. Isnt that ok? 
But i have realised that outside is colder than inside and i dont know if this has to do with the levels of humidity in the room at the moment. 

how high is the humidity?  21 is on the warm side, add high humidity and that can cause trouble. If you can get the room a few degrees cooler and below 50% humidity that might help. 

I prefer 18-19C. 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Eglies tell me more how do you temper! 

Humidity has no relation with your issue, as humidity will take effect in relation to your ganache later on!

I saw the picture and I believe you over seed the chocolate. tell me more on how you seed and I believe I ll guide you on what went wrong.

Merci.

Francois

Chocolate & Pastry Instructor

Chocolate Author

www.cocoachocolateganache.com