• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Revelling in Rimini

Kerry Beal

@Anna N, do consider applying a few drops of that precious artisanal balsamic vinegar to a small scoop of the very best vanilla ice cream.  Even more excellent if some perfect strawberries can be involved.  But only the very best!  

I brought a bottle of that extra vecchio stuff back from Italy and am still hoarding a bit of it.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Anna N, do consider applying a few drops of that precious artisanal balsamic vinegar to a small scoop of the very best vanilla ice cream.  Even more excellent if some perfect strawberries can be involved.  But only the very best!  

I brought a bottle of that extra vecchio stuff back from Italy and am still hoarding a bit of it.  

Well strawberries will certainly have to wait until our local ones come in which is many months away. But perhaps I will try for the very best vanilla ice cream if only I knew what that was!  I could  count on my fingers and perhaps my toes how many times I have had ice cream as an adult. I have had the odd cone when I’ve been with Kerry when we go up north but otherwise ice cream never appears in my life. But I could change that for a chance to try it with this vinegar.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Well strawberries will certainly have to wait until our local ones come in which is many months away. But perhaps I will try for the very best vanilla ice cream if only I knew what that was!  I could  count on my fingers and perhaps my toes how many times I have had ice cream as an adult. I have had the odd cone when I’ve been with Kerry when we go up north but otherwise ice cream never appears in my life. But I could change that for a chance to try it with this vinegar.

Definitely save some for the summer and some good strawberries.  Personally, I like the balsamic with strawberries and either just slightly sweetened whipped cream or some whiped creme fraiche...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Anna N said:

We shall ask @Alleguede to make you some!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

https://www.clickandgrow.com/products/grow-wild-strawberry-indoors

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I failed Indoor Gardening 101.  As for outdoor gardening ... gardeners who see me approaching throw up instant electric fences. 

• Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Grab yourself (or have your secret connection acquire) a piece of 8 week aged Rib-Eye from Cumbrae's - ask for closest to the deckle, if possible.

Slice a few pieces of that deckle off (this is the secretly preferred cut of most butchers - the outer extra fatty/tender ring of the Rib-Eye) and drizzle.

Perhaps a tiny bit of sea salt.

Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

Oh dear, oh my.  Wild strawberries.  This makes me stop in my tracks.  I used to risk poison ivy to get to those wild strawberries in their short season.   So tempted..............

They grow in our yard at home, and are an excellent reason to be sloppy with the lawn mower.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

40 minutes ago, Smithy said:

They grow in our yard at home, and are an excellent reason to be sloppy with the lawn mower.

While I was still allowed to have plants on my balcony I grew little alpine strawberries.  Here the wild strawberries are Indian strawberries.  Not Native American strawberries but escaped ornamental strawberries from India.  Very pretty plants and fruit.  One guidebook said not poisonous but you'd die of disappointment if you ate one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou