• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

harvested meat

heidih

I just prepped lamb shanks and the tag identifies it as "born raised harvested" in the USA. Is this a new term for slaughtered or processed?  One of the tags said BRN RAISE   - I thought the lamb was raised in a barn until I saw the full phrase on another part of the package. If this is common it has clearly passed me by till now. 

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

14 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Maybe it means not “harvested” but “Harvard student” ... 

don't think sheep are known for their brilliance - maybe a legacy admission  ;)

16 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Maybe it means not “harvested” but “Harvard student” ... 

harvested:  sanitized version of slaughtered.

The sheep is just as dead but we’re all supposed to feel better about it. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

don't think sheep are known for their brilliance - maybe a legacy admission  ;)

I think the labels “vegetarian fed diet” and “no preservatives” support my theory ...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I think the labels “vegetarian fed diet” and “no preservatives” support my theory ...

I did not attend Harvard hence I was slow to catch on. 

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

BRN, RAISD, HRVSTD

I like it, it saves 5 whole letters and reminds me of Wheel of Fortune:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I'll let you in on a secret if you promise not to tell a soul....We live about 25 miles from a John Deere factory and there are always rumors coming from the plant about new equipment.  A sheep harvester is the latest.  You've heard of the expression "like a sheep to slaughter"  I'm sure.  Well JD has trained farmers in the art of sheep whispering.  The best ones are able to train their sheep to line up in perfect order.  Next the top secret, experimental sheep harvester goes down the line plucking up the sheep and rolling them into large bales that resemble hay, only with more fluff.

The bales of sheep are loaded on to semis and taken to the nearest  processing plant.  At this point it is out of JD's hands but I do know the packing plant employees that count the sheep bales as they come off the semi have a terrible time staying awake to do their jobsl   

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

@IowaDee stand up comedy your next gig? I worked with a shepherd. I know how goofy they are. Oh marsh grass!  Oops I am stuck and can not get out...again!  The very reason the guys stay with them 24/7. 

• Haha 1

I think the abbreviations are silly stupid—they save very little space.

BRN,RAISD,HRVSTD in USA

Born,Raised,Harvested in USA

They may be meaningless, or at least confusing, to ESL/EFL folks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I think the abbreviations are silly stupid—they save very little space.

BRN,RAISD,HRVSTD in USA

Born,Raised,Harvested in USA

They may be meaningless, or at least confusing, to ESL/EFL folks.

I agree, but I do notice that a lot of members (not you DDF) here abbreviate things which they know, but many others may not. It drives me crazy!  What's the hurry? Just type the damned full name or are you too lazy?

I will make an exception for EVOO.

Tonight I'm having DTC with BR and FM for dinner. Washed down with CAOTLB.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Tonight I'm having DTC with BR and FM for dinner. Washed down with CAOTLB.  "  Now if you said  Washed it down with a DRC "  I would have known what your talking about.   :)

Its good to have Morels