• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/146245-vegetarian-and-vegan-cuisine-in-china/

30 minutes ago, tomishungry said:

My personal experience (admittedly limited) has been wholly vegetarian dishes at Chinese temples, with a lot of interesting tofu and soybean product based dishes that I've never seen anywhere else.

That is certainly true in most of China, but not everywhere. Tibet and Tibetan regions in Qinghai and Sichuan for example, have little vegetation!

Most Chinese Buddhist vegetarian food tries to replicate non-vegetarian dishes. See the first couple of posts in this topic.

Where are you from in China, if I may ask?

liuzhou

liuzhou

22 minutes ago, tomishungry said:

My personal experience (admittedly limited) has been wholly vegetarian dishes at Chinese temples, with a lot of interesting tofu and soybean product based dishes that I've never seen anywhere else.

That is certainly true in most of China, but not everywhere. Tibet and Tibetan regions in Qinghai and Sichuan for example, have little vegetation!

Most Chinese Buddhist vegetarian food tries to replicate non-vegetarian dishes.

liuzhou

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, tomishungry said: