• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

tomishungry

tomishungry

On 1/15/2020 at 3:34 AM, liuzhou said:

There are books, but I've only ever seen them in Chinese, but these are not aimed at home cooks. It's very much a restaurant and temple tradition.

By the way, not all Buddhists are vegetarian. The Dalai Lama isn't.

Interesting. My personal experience (admittedly limited) has been wholly vegetarian dishes at Chinese temples, with a lot of interesting tofu and soybean product based dishes that I've never seen anywhere else. Those dishes in particular stick in my memory and palate.

As for non veg Buddhists, well the middle path has lots of room. But if you look at some the purported "Buddhist Cuisine" recipes on the web, they're just plain nasty. I'm having a hard time believing the equivalent of ham and cheese roll ups are good eats in any cuisine.

tomishungry

tomishungry

There are books, but I've only ever seen them in Chinese, but these are not aimed at home cooks. It's very much a restaurant and temple tradition.

Interesting. My personal experience (admittedly limited) has been wholly vegetarian dishes at Chinese temples, with a lot of interesting tofu and soybean product based dishes that I've never seen anywhere else. Those dishes in particular stick in my memory and palate.

As for non veg Buddhists, well the middle path has lots of room. But if you look at some the purported "Buddhist Cuisine" recipes, they're just plain nasty. I'm having a hard time believing the equivalent of ham and cheese roll ups are good eats in any cuisine.

tomishungry

tomishungry

tomishungry

tomishungry

Interesting. My personal experience (admittedly limited) has been wholly vegetarian dishes at Chinese temples, with a lot of interesting tofu and soybean based based dishes that I've never seen anywhere else. Those dishes in particular stick in my memory and palate.