• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

tomishungry

tomishungry

On 1/15/2020 at 1:03 AM, heidih said:

Curious why Chinese. Many of the temples that do the communal meals are from other places. Also it is generally as noted a communal experience and something one would learn hands on when assisting. .

Because I'm chinese and I liked the food :)

More seriously, I've been examining vegetarian diets more carefully for the ethical and ecological implications. On the side of good eats, I've been decidely unimpressed by western mass market vegetarian thoughts - bean burgers, impossible burgers made from beets, chicken shapes made of out of seitan and bad stereotypical bean/rice/tofu/sprouts. The chinese vegetarian dishes don't try to imitate meat, they're just tasty and satisfying on their own. Even if they're named mock duck or chicken, it's pretty obvious they've got nothing to do with the real animal. It's different food that tastes good, not some insane chemical filled patty imitating a slab of meat.

tomishungry

tomishungry

On 1/15/2020 at 1:03 AM, heidih said:

Curious why Chinese. Many of the temples that do the communal meals are from other places. Also it is generally as noted a communal experience and something one would learn hands on when assisting. .

Because I'm chinese and I liked the food :)