• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London cocktail bar suggestions?

Craig E

I’m back in London for a bit and thinking my cocktail bar target list is outdated. Anybody have suggestions for top places to go nowadays? Not into gimmicky showmanship, overpriced hotel bars that are only about posh ambiance, nor overcrowded hipster scenes. So far I’ve been to Oriole, and Trailer Happiness and whatever Mr. Lyan’s latest thing is called are on the agenda. In past trips I’ve liked Satan’s Whiskers, Blind Pig, and White Lyan. What shouldn’t I miss?

Lucky you!

Coupette

Three Sheets

Trailer Happiness, as mentioned (let me know in a PM when you're planning to go)

The Punch Room (get the milk punch)

Cocktail Trading Co

Happiness Forgets

Callooh Callay

The Gibson

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Swift is good, drinks-wise, but for whatever reason it didn't jump out at me like some of the others. Did you get the milk punch at Punch Room? I could take a bath in that 

12 hours ago, Hassouni said:

Swift is good, drinks-wise, but for whatever reason it didn't jump out at me like some of the others. Did you get the milk punch at Punch Room? I could take a bath in that 

Yes, my colleague did so I got to taste it. Pretty delish!

For best drinks of the trip: 

"Le Pain Killer" at Murder Inc., which was described as "Havana Club 7, OJ [though I'm sure they goosed it with lime], walnut croissant marsala." Garnished with a tiny piece of toast (le pain--get it?) which was goofy, but the walnut flavor in this was great. 

I liked the Beetle Boulevardier at Lyaness: "Patron Reposado, Martini bitter, purple pineapple, white & pink radicchio, cochineal." I do find the vagueness of their menu irritating though. 

Both of my drinks at Swift: Sicilian Avenue ("Monkey Shoulder scotch, toasted barley, Mr Black coffee amaro, bitters") and the yummy, dessert-y Praline Flip ("Swift spiced rum blend, Guinness, hazelnut orgeat, egg"). 

Edited to add: Oh, and at Oriole, the Haarlem Ampersand (“Bols oak aged genever Courvoisier VSOP speculoos wine orange pekoe Salerno hopped Peychaud’s”). Guess the nutty and sweet thing was floating my boat this trip. 

Edited by Craig E (log)