• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a new microwave - ideas?

ElsieD

Our microwave oven appears to have died between zapping the veg and the rice.  It tripped the breaker the other day and tonight quit altogether. It is a 24" built in over the wall oven one and a new one would go into the same space.  I am not interested in one with a convection oven as I already have a convection wall oven, a CSOand the Breville Smart oven Air.  I also don't want one with a pull down door as I am not very tall and it would be too much of a stretch putting stuff in there and taking it out.  Any suggestions?

When my GE’s magnetron died a few years ago I looked around locally for a replacement but didn’t find one to my liking.

Since I liked the one I had and The settings on it are very convenient, I opted to have it repaired.  Not a cheap fix but I’m very satisfied with it.  I use it every day.

In fact, I used it just moments ago to heat the milk for my Tom & Jerry (it’s cold here).

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, lindag said:

what is that?

Supposedly it makes heating more even in the microwaves that have it. My new/current one (4-5 months) is a Panasonic w. inverter.

Just FYI, one of the most common things that goes on microwaves is a simple fuse. Costs a couple of bucks to buy a replacement, the tricky part is getting into the unit (easy on a standalone,  less trivial on a built-in).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

34 minutes ago, lindag said:

what is that?

Problem with regular microwaves, they can't cook with low power. Always at 100% power. They cycle full power on and off to give you low power cooking.

Inverter system actually lowers the power level to give you continuous low power cooking. This can make food microwaved more evenly.

dcarch

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think it depends on your use and need. Our 5 year old Bosch crapped out - start and shuts off. Pain to get at (above oven in built cabinet)and not gonna pay repair person to futz. We got a $60 one we use several times a day to heat things up and sometimes to cook vegetables and small things.  Just fine. Tucked it in a corner. 

• Like 2

I'll chime in for a Panasonic as well. My original Panasonic microwave went from 1986 to roughly 2010. I did a fuse change somewhere around 2000 for under a buck, and it served faithfully until the day I retired it. It was still working, but I'd noticed cook and defrost times had gotten ridiculously long. My best guess is I'd actually worn out the magnetron with my usage. Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet put a lot of extra hours on the microwave, as did my experiments with accelerating dough rises with bursts of microwave heating.

My new Panasonic microwave has been almost as reliable as the first one. The door latch is a little sticky, otherwise everything's working fine. Let's see if I can hit 25 years of usage this time.

• Like 3

Thanks, everyone.  We didn't realize the problem could be as simple as a fuse.  I have a call in to our appliance salesman and am waiting for him to call back.  We have been buying appliances from him for 30 plus years and trust him implicity so I'll see what he has to say.  We are not "handy" people so we would need to have someone come into fix it, if it is fixable.  That could cost enough such that it makes more sense to buy a new one.  The one  that died is a GE Profile and is 16 years old so the repair may not be worth it on that basis alone.  It came with the condo.

Previous to this, I had Panasonic microwave-convection ovens with the inverter technology.  I really, really liked them.  

We just installed a Whirlpool that I am happy with. It's only a couple of months old so I can't comment on longevity. Seems to do a good job and has one feature I really like. The beeper indicating that the cycle is done shuts off as soon as you open the door.

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

6 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

We just installed a Whirlpool that I am happy with. It's only a couple of months old so I can't comment on longevity. Seems to do a good job and has one feature I really like. The beeper indicating that the cycle is done shuts off as soon as you open the door.

That, to me, is a "killer feature." I don't know anyone else who cares, but I'm the guy who lunges for the "cancel" button before the last few seconds tick off. My hearing is none of the best, but that piercing beep grates on my nerves.

I've had a couple of microwaves in the past that cut the chirp when the door opened, and it was my favorite thing about them.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 minutes ago, chromedome said:

That, to me, is a "killer feature." I don't know anyone else who cares, but I'm the guy who lunges for the "cancel" button before the last few seconds tick off. My hearing is none of the best, but that piercing beep grates on my nerves.

I've had a couple of microwaves in the past that cut the chirp when the door opened, and it was my favorite thing about them.

That is one of the features in my GE that helped make the decision to repair rather than replace it when the magnetron died.

it allows the user to permanently turn off the beep!  The sound of the unit stopping is enough of an alert, the noise isn’t really needed. 

• Like 1

Yup, being able to turn on the beeper and also the turntable were huge selling point when we bought our G.E.  Have had to replace the light bulb but, other than that, it has been a real trooper.  My first microwave was an Amana Radar Range.  Those huge shiny things that weigh as much as a small elephant.  I'd bet money that there are still some of them working away out there.  Kind of like the DC 3s of microwaves.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it is just a "how we always build it". I don't care about right or left as much as where swings into (kinda like a fridge that you can make left or right so it does not hit a cabinet or the stove/oven - but not a MW option logistically. . . Hey break your dominant arm enough times  - ya become ambidextrous :)

• Haha 1

John took the microwave to the repair shop in case it is something as simple as a fuse.  We never thought of getting it looked at, until @chromedome mentioned the fuse.  We'll know early next week what the diagnosis is.  In our looking around ar new ones I was surprised by all the complaints against Panasonic, both for the quality of their product and their poor customer service.  I have always been happy with them.

• Like 2