• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liziqi (李子柒)

liuzhou

I know a few people here know her already, but for those that don't, she is simply the best creator of Chinese food and rural life videos. It's not what you will find in your local Bamboo Hut! It's what Chinese people eat!

Here is her latest, posted today. This is what all my neighbours are doing right now in preparation for Spring Festival (Chinese New Year to the Lantern Festival 15 days later), although few are doing it as elegantly as she does!

Everything she posts is worth watching if you have any interest in food.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I'm not certain what any of it was, with a few exceptions, but it was fascinating. What's the organ meat -- liver? -- stuffed with -- egg yolks? -- and smoked? That was pretty interesting. Been a long time since I've seen sausage stuffed in pig intestines; when she first pulled them and cleaned them, all I could think was chitterlings.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Now that I have been glued to these videos for the past hour I need to get up and start making a linner that at this point seems utterly pathetic: stir fry chicken with choi sum, cabbage and Chinese chives. Where is this filmed? Totally amazing. Every leaf, every bowl, every cut. Thank you @liuzhou I love her desperately.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Have you seen the one on corn!! 😎

I love the corn chips she made along with the corn pudding drowned in chilies and oil.

Those both looked good.  I didn't realize chips & guacamole, tamales, and polenta were Chinese food!

9 hours ago, cdh said:

What was going on with the red packet at the butcher... the refusal and reluctant acceptance?

AS @pastrygirlsays, money is usually  given in a red envelope. The refusal and reluctant acceptance is a ritual. To just accept immediately is considered rude as it makes the recipient look greedy.

9 hours ago, kayb said:

What's the organ meat -- liver? -- stuffed with -- egg yolks? -- and smoked?

Yes. Yes. The egg yolks have been salted. Yes.

11 hours ago, dcarch said:

The impressive thing about her is that, it appears that she actually has the skills in all those things she was doing.

She has a huge international following.

dcarch

and an even huger following on Chinese social media.

8 million on YouTube. 20 million on Weibo.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

With the Chinese New Year coming up on January 25th, I thought it appropriate to post this Liziqi episode of her preparations last year. Again, this is what my neighbours are all getting ready for. he local supermarket has even changed its plastic bags from the usual white to lucky red for the celebrations!

20191229_140101.thumb.jpg.3e455ed7aee38b35b748827805a13ee5.jpg

Usual Bag

20191229_140016.thumb.jpg.9a67381572ec0012580aff7463af8857.jpg

Unusual Bag

• Like 6

Thanks again for these, @liuzhou. I'm limiting myself to watching what you post. I'd be in danger of camping before the computer for hours at a time otherwise. What a lovely New Year's dinner.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 hours ago, kayb said:

Thanks again for these, @liuzhou. I'm limiting myself to watching what you post. I'd be in danger of camping before the computer for hours at a time otherwise. What a lovely New Year's dinner.

That was New Year's Eve dinner. New Year Day dinner yet to come!

Edited by liuzhou (log)

@liuzhou My dishes sit unwashed in the sink and DH is grumbling for dinner....   Thank you for the mini vacation, I only tore myself away in protest because I could hear the divorce papers being drawn up  >.<.   Need to find a better time to binge watch, This is an amazing set of vids, Thank you so much!

• Like 1

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Another beautiful new one - The Life of Garlic.

@liuzhou you can't source scallions like those shown at the beginning?  Or were not those scallions?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

38 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@liuzhou you can't source scallions like those shown at the beginning?  Or were not those scallions?

I thnk what you are seeing as scallions are garlic shoots / scapes. Left to grow a bit more they turn all curly. Almost every food store or market here has both straight and curly.

But yes, I got confused too when I first saw them some 25 years ago!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1