• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No! No! No! Stop it! The bad ideas topic!

liuzhou

11 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Unfortunately I can't get Kool-Aid in Costa Rica. Anyone interested in making some and reporting on the results?

Make Cool-Aid, Not Kool-Aid
  • 4-6 HERBAL TEA BAGS (pick a robustly flavored fruit variety)
  • About 4 cups boiling WATER, plus more cold water.
  • 2 tablespoons raw APPLE CIDER VINEGAR.
  • NuNaturals LIQUID STEVIA CONCENTRATE or other sweetener to taste.
Instructions
  • In a large pitcher or measuring cup, steep the teabags in hot water for 5-10 minutes.
  • Add the honey and stir until dissolved, then add the lemon juice.
  • Put the ice in the pitcher and pour the warm tea concentrate over the top. Taste and add more water if desired.
  • Add fresh fruit for extra flavor and zing.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

I think this belongs in the "Food Funnies" thread. Gag-worthy (in both senses of the word) for sure!

I did toy with the idea of Food Funnies, but in the end decided it was only funny because it was such a bad idea.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This may not be a bad idea as such, but it is a crazy one.

Japanese scientists with nothing better to do have invented electric chopsticks which they say can enhance perceived umami without adding sodium.

Yeah,  I can see all the billions of chopstick users in Asia and elsewhere rushing out to get them! Not.

The whole sorry tale is here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

This may not be a bad idea as such, but it is a crazy one.

Japanese scientists with nothing better to do have invented electric chopsticks which they say can enhance perceived umami without adding sodium.

Yeah,  I can see all the billions of chopstick users in Asia and elsewhere rushing out to get them! Not.

The whole sorry tale is here.

I like the lick-able TV screen!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ummm....

FSnv9PFWAAIHwNr.thumb.jpeg.c710ae4141207e30c6bfaed7a717abd4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Only if it's turkey gravy. Doesn't say. Says that it is restaurant inspired. What restaurant? Joe's greasy spoon!

I see it most often credited to Mason Hereford, chef at Turkey and the Wolf* in New Orleans, as in this BA article, but my sandwich mentor, Max Halley, also includes it in his cookbook (Ultimate Christmas Leftovers Sandwich)and in recipes he’s shared online like this modification with both gravy mayo and Bloody Mary ketchup or this braised beef sandwich. 
I’m not lining up to buy a Hellmans version but in the right hands, I think it’s a genius condiment!

*Hereford's cookbook(eG-friendly Amazon.com link) will be out next month but I don’t see a gravy mayo recipe listed 😉

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Why ('havtorn' is sea buckthorn)?

IMG_5965.jpeg

The miso feels like a pointless, try-hard ingredient here, but the sea buckthorn is what strikes me as the note that would make this a one-bite-then-bin item. It is extremely acidic and fruity (I love it on its own), and there's no other ingredient in this combination that would make it play nicely with everything else; I'd expect it to almost stab the palate. I want to say I wouldn't try this if you paid me, but I'm probably going to get one, and encourage my boyfriend (who is more adventurous than I am about food) to take one for the team (do not get me started on whether or not this truly qualifies a croissant ¬¬).

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 1 month later...