• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No! No! No! Stop it! The bad ideas topic!

liuzhou

Hot-cross pizza buns seem an odd notion, but I guess I can't throw stones. Supermarkets up here haven't hit on that one yet, but they've started making hot-cross buns for every holiday, not just Easter.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

in th Food Movie thread 

there is aa fine movie documenting a 3 star French resteurant

that has had  start for possibly 50 years

in the words , a long time

they have heir own house champaign (s)

one vision has Sichuan pepper  added to the bottle.

and the restaurant has its own large garden and they grow

their own SP's  it was said theyngrwo well there in their location.

that version is quite popular their.

love to try a bottle.  or anything else from that restaurant.

maybe , or maybe not , their brains dish.

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Actually, I'm not sure if this is a bad idea or a stroke of genius. A new fashion is erupting in southern China. 

冰淇淋 (bīng qí lín) means 'ice cream' with the first character meaning 'ice'.

Now they're substituting  (là) instead of   (bīng) and selling 辣淇淋 (là qí lín), hot (ice) cream.

It's your regular soft whip ice cream garnished not with sprinkles but Sichuan style chili oil.

Screenshot_20240327_020652_com.tencent.mm_edit_4570488841489.thumb.jpg.b711f42e4f4aef626da295c3b5c985d7.jpg

Screenshot_20240327_020654_com.tencent.mm_edit_4547676529514.thumb.jpg.a9493a656e401c366911f10cad0ddfdf.jpg

I'd try it.

Not quite the same thing, but a few years back, Kenji wrote a recipe for Sichuan Chile Crisp Sundae With Peanut Streusel in the NYT. I made it and thought it was pretty good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, liuzhou said:

. . . It's your regular soft whip ice cream garnished not with sprinkles but Sichuan style chili oil.

I'd try it.

If only there was someone in southern China (*ahem) who could take one for the team and report back . . . :laugh:

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not quite the same thing, but a few years back, Kenji wrote a recipe for Sichuan Chile Crisp Sundae With Peanut Streusel in the NYT. I made it and thought it was pretty good. 

You're a woman of catholic tastes. Mostly I'm not fond of chile in chocolate, brownies or cookies. The exception for me would be pan forte, the sweetish concoction of fruit and nuts and cocoa with a hint of pepper. But just a hint. Peanuts and chile, by all means. Ice cream sundae with both, well, I might not even taste it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

You're a woman of catholic tastes. Mostly I'm not fond of chile in chocolate, brownies or cookies. The exception for me would be pan forte, the sweetish concoction of fruit and nuts and cocoa with a hint of pepper. But just a hint. Peanuts and chile, by all means. Ice cream sundae with both, well, I might not even taste it.

Long before the chili and chocolate combo became popular, I found a cut-out gingerbread cookie recipe that had a good amount of ground black pepper in it. This was long before the internet and apparently I didn't write down the recipe but now I always add finely ground black pepper to my gingerbread cookies. Makes the ginger more gingery if you will,

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

On 3/26/2024 at 10:16 PM, liuzhou said:

Actually, I'm not sure if this is a bad idea or a stroke of genius. A new fashion is erupting in southern China. 

冰淇淋 (bīng qí lín) means 'ice cream' with the first character meaning 'ice'.

Now they're substituting  (là) instead of   (bīng) and selling 辣淇淋 (là qí lín), hot (ice) cream.

It's your regular soft whip ice cream garnished not with sprinkles but Sichuan style chili oil.

Screenshot_20240327_020652_com.tencent.mm_edit_4570488841489.thumb.jpg.b711f42e4f4aef626da295c3b5c985d7.jpg

Screenshot_20240327_020654_com.tencent.mm_edit_4547676529514.thumb.jpg.a9493a656e401c366911f10cad0ddfdf.jpg

I'd try it.

I’d try it, too! I’m hoping you do…