• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No! No! No! Stop it! The bad ideas topic!

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That name intrigues me. Is he jumping over the wall to get to it or away from it?

The original dish from Fujian province was basically a soup built in sharks' fin. It was so deliciously aromatic that vegetarian Buddhist monks jumped over the wall of their compound to get at it.

Well, that 's the legend anyway. Today, it has all but disappeared due to increased official awareness of the evil of shark fin consumption.

The pizza hut dish is just bovine excrement for a dreadful mess of ingredients selected by a committee of committees with no knowledge of basic flavours, culture or  basic sanity.

1 hour ago, kayb said:

No corn???

Well, keep quiet! They probably missed it out accidentally.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The pizza hut dish is just bovine excrement for a dreadful mess of ingredients selected by a committee of committees with no knowledge of basic flavours, culture or  basic sanity.

It doesn't really seem to have a pizza crust but if they are trying for pizza 'pie', well, that might look like pie crust.

What I really want to know is are you going to take one for the team and try it?

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Haha 1

Certainly not. I have a strong aversion to food designed by "stylists", advertising "consultants" and accountants rather than people who know food. When Pizza Hut actually cook their pizzas in house rather than have them made hundreds of miles away then freeze them to be defrosted and heated up in the local outlets, maybe I'll reconsider.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

58 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I have a strong aversion to food designed by "stylists", advertising "consultants" and accountants rather than people who know food

The only thing worse is trying to work in restaurant kitchens designed by these people.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

13 hours ago, liuzhou said:

via Twitter

FIRjWOOaQAAcDhG.thumb.jpg.4ae20dda68b4f0db5e54aae49b4e663d.jpg

I, um, want to eat this.  Though the abalone has to be tough as boot leather and the scallops good for handball.

Yet still I want to eat it.

Help.

• Haha 4

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

3 hours ago, paul o' vendange said:

I, um, want to eat this.  Though the abalone has to be tough as boot leather and the scallops good for handball.

Yet still I want to eat it.

Help.

I'm with you.  If you gave me that written description without telling me it was Pizza Hut, I'd be all in.  By putting frozen, raw shrimp on pizza at the right time, I've gotten them perfectly cooked and I'm sure it could be done with the other seafood, too, though it would be a trick to get everything right.  The accompanying photo doesn't look quite so appealing, but I'd still try it. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm with you.  If you gave me that written description without telling me it was Pizza Hut, I'd be all in.  By putting frozen, raw shrimp on pizza at the right time, I've gotten them perfectly cooked and I'm sure it could be done with the other seafood, too, though it would be a trick to get everything right.  The accompanying photo doesn't look quite so appealing, but I'd still try it. 

Wish I could add a "delicious laughter" at the same time.  😁

• Haha 2

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

On 1/5/2022 at 8:18 PM, liuzhou said:

via Twitter

FIRjWOOaQAAcDhG.thumb.jpg.4ae20dda68b4f0db5e54aae49b4e663d.jpg

I think the bad idea is that it comes from pizza hut. Looks like it would be pretty good on a better crust.

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Strange craving tonight.  I wanted "ants on a log". We are clean out of raisins though (we usually are) so I used slices of dried fig instead.  It's tasty!  But the presentation definitely says something other than ants is sitting on that "log"!

IMG_20220112_174253042.jpg

• Haha 8

28 minutes ago, donk79 said:

Strange craving tonight.  I wanted "ants on a log". We are clean out of raisins though (we usually are) so I used slices of dried fig instead.  It's tasty!  But the presentation definitely says something other than ants is sitting on that "log"!

IMG_20220112_174253042.jpg

Really smart substitute and I'd for sure eat that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I also used to like it with cheese whiz and bits of pimento.

Celery with Cheez Whiz was my childhood indulgence. As an adult I scratch that itch with Boursin or something of that sort on the celery (or a sharp blue, or...well, you get the picture). Oddly, though raisins and peanut butter are two things I like very much, "ants on a log" never did it for me. Perhaps it's one of those things you need to encounter during childhood? (I didn't)

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

@chromedome if you like celery with blue cheese you will love Gabrielle Hamilton's Celery Toast, which includes a layer of cambozola. Gabriella is super fussy about her ingredients, but I am guessing there are other blues that can be subbed. 

It would probably be good, but I don't know that it would scratch that same itch. Celery has that juicy crunch, like apples, and that's what I'm craving when I eat it.

I do occasionally buy a smidge of cambozola when I see it on sale, though, so I'll undoubtedly try the recipe if I can find it online.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 12/29/2021 at 4:25 PM, liuzhou said:

One of the best starters I ever had was in a one-M star restaurant in London many years ago. It was three spears of asparagus wrapped in filo / phylo pastry and baked/roasted.

As an appetizer for my daughters' birthday dinner, I made aparagus (fresh not canned) wrapped in prosciutto then wrapped in phyllo and brushed with butter and sprinkled with parmesean before baking. A bit fiddly but I was astonished at how many were consumed.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Ok, I admit it...I judge:

IMG_7924.thumb.JPG.147edf9972199b415f67d016d0f56150.JPG

Today around lunchtime I was joking with husband (after the usual “What do you want? I dunno, what do you feel like?….”). I said “It’d be easier if we ate like Max (cat in avatar). Then you posted the above. 😂 apparently it is possible!

Here’s Max’s food.

39C1AA00-651D-4B86-83FF-8BB72942830B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__talk__images__2--248263-koolickle-finished-604fe882dc0c47eaaf05b8426130ce7a.jpg.e3f1aa66717478c8b5608293abda9352.jpg

I thought when I heard about koolickles that somebody was putting me on but they are for real.

Interesting, but I wonder what they taste like.

Anyone willing to try this?  I just might have to.

• Thanks 1