• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No! No! No! Stop it! The bad ideas topic!

liuzhou

32 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I wasn't familiar with the brand and it took a while before I got to the very bottom of the label and saw what it really is!

Sounds better than the Heinz version!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 4 weeks later...

According to the commercial I just saw, Burger King now offers chicken nuggets in... dill pickle flavor?

I cannot envision a combination of intoxicants that would make this alluring to me.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

According to the commercial I just saw, Burger King now offers chicken nuggets in... dill pickle flavor?

I cannot envision a combination of intoxicants that would make this alluring to me.

Since fried dill pickles are a thing I could imagine a flavoring agent in the chicken nugget batter that mimics. Just look at all the "different" chip flavors we discuss.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 8:31 PM, chromedome said:

Now that I think of it, all of the various fried chicken sandwiches have pickle slices on them and there is even a rumor out there that Chick-fil-A brines their chicken in a brine that includes pickle juice.  So...

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, paul o' vendange said:

This was my hell as a kid.  

Not gonna lie, I quite liked the ones filled with fruit. The savory ones skeeved me out, though. I just couldn't grasp why embalming chicken and vegetables and (the kicker) canned peas in lime Jello sounded like a good idea to anyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Not gonna lie, I quite liked the ones filled with fruit. The savory ones skeeved me out, though. I just couldn't grasp why embalming chicken and vegetables and (the kicker) canned peas in lime Jello sounded like a good idea to anyone.

I learned a lot from my mom.  Veggies and jello, and onion-apple pie, were not among them. 🤢

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

On 11/27/2021 at 8:31 PM, chromedome said:

You have to try harder.

This place opened in 2019, right down the block.  It's the "snack shop" from the iconic Pickle Guys.

pickles.thumb.jpeg.a951431a036d89cc6d8a8d7d316dd1c2.jpeg

https://ny.eater.com/2019/6/25/18744243/diller-pickle-bar-open-lower-east-side-nyc

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

You have to try harder.

This place opened in 2019, right don the block.  It's the "snack shop" from the iconic Pickle Guys.

https://ny.eater.com/2019/6/25/18744243/diller-pickle-bar-open-lower-east-side-nyc

I'm sure I would like their pickles. I'm also sure I would not fry them.

Nothing to do with "pickle-flavored" chicken nuggets, either way.

With respect to my friends' mostly lovely Boxing Day lunch, I couldn't think of another place to post the Asparagus Rollups they served. Basically you take a slice of wholemeal bread, trim off the crusts and squash it flat with a rolling pin. Then butter it place a spear of canned asparagus on and roll it up into something resembling a vegetable pig in a blanket. Serve chilled. From the conversation at the table it appears that it was a nostalgia thing for people who grew up in small town Australia in the 1950s and 1960s.

Asparagus rolls

A quick internet search shows some people rolling several spears together, using mayonnaise instead of butter, adding a few spices, or getting really fancy and rolling with a slice of prosciutto. And the dish dates back to the 1920s. Any other Aussies partake of these?

• Haha 5
  • Sad 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

15 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Any other Aussies partake of these?

I'm not an Aussie but I was served something similar to this in the 1960s at a Tupperware party in Reno. They were rolled up in white bread with asparagus, yellow mustard, and chopped dill pickle. I didn't partake because I 'remembered' in time that I was allergic to asparagus. The refreshments at her next party were beer and cupcakes. I haven't been to a Tupperware party since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

At any such affair here in southern NB, you'll be served sandwiches of cream cheese and chopped maraschino cherries. They may be served as conventional sandwiches with the crusts cut off (quartered diagonally) or rolled up as pinwheels, if the hosts are feeling fancy.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, haresfur said:

With respect to my friends' mostly lovely Boxing Day lunch, I couldn't think of another place to post the Asparagus Rollups they served. Basically you take a slice of wholemeal bread, trim off the crusts and squash it flat with a rolling pin. Then butter it place a spear of canned asparagus on and roll it up into something resembling a vegetable pig in a blanket. Serve chilled. From the conversation at the table it appears that it was a nostalgia thing for people who grew up in small town Australia in the 1950s and 1960s.

Asparagus rolls

A quick internet search shows some people rolling several spears together, using mayonnaise instead of butter, adding a few spices, or getting really fancy and rolling with a slice of prosciutto. And the dish dates back to the 1920s. Any other Aussies partake of these?

Yup - ours were made with cream cheese buttering the squished bread - had to be canned asparagus. I could probably still do some serious damage to some! Canadian here. 

And in response to @chromedome - maraschino cherries or manzanilla olives or gerkins could make up the middle. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yup - ours were made with cream cheese buttering the squished bread - had to be canned asparagus. I could probably still do some serious damage to some! Canadian here. 

And in response to @chromedome - maraschino cherries or manzanilla olives or gerkins could make up the middle. 

I'd eat that now, cream cheese and canned asparagus rolls.  Somewhere in my genetic memory I'm sure I've had this at a relation's house at some get together.

The olives and gherkins would work for me too.  Skip the maraschinos, never been a fan of those.

EDIT:  I swear I've had them here in the SW within that last couple decades, except using a flour tortilla instead of bread.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

You have to try harder.

This place opened in 2019, right down the block.  It's the "snack shop" from the iconic Pickle Guys.

The Mid-South area is a haven of fried pickles. Most bars will serve them as snacks, and several fast-food places serve them as sides or appetizers. I am a fan of the fried thin slices; some places fry the spears, but the ratio of pickle to breading is off, to me.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 hours ago, weinoo said:

You have to try harder.

i'd go here in a heartbeat.   I remember "Gus's Pickles" some years back.

I recently read in a "Rising Chef" cookbook a recipe for dill pickle panzanella salad to be served with a tarted up fried chicken.   Works for me!

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

19 hours ago, kayb said:

The Mid-South area is a haven of fried pickles. Most bars will serve them as snacks, and several fast-food places serve them as sides or appetizers. I am a fan of the fried thin slices; some places fry the spears, but the ratio of pickle to breading is off, to me.

I agree completely.  I do the little kosher dills and slice them lengthwise to go with Mr. Kim's BBQ:

pickles.thumb.jpg.71550f073aa4474af3e5f208d8d310bc.jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

On 12/28/2021 at 1:09 AM, haresfur said:

Asparagus rolls

Yep, I’ve had em, and I actually like them. Thanks for reminding me :)

• Like 1

One of the best starters I ever had was in a one-M star restaurant in London many years ago. It was three spears of asparagus wrapped in filo / phylo pastry and baked/roasted.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

One of the best starters I ever had was in a one-M star restaurant in London many years ago. It was three spears of asparagus wrapped in filo / phylo pastrty and baked/roasted.

I can believe it. It’s just a far cry from slimy canned asparagus wrapped in squidgy white bread!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm in Canada and the asparagus roll-up were a staple at my mother's bridge parties in the 60's. I'm quite certain it was white bread spread with creams cheese. Cream cheese and maraschino cherry pinwheel sandwiches also made a frequent appearance at said parties. My mom would always make extra of those because to us kids, they were five-star food. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

It’s just a far cry from slimy canned asparagus wrapped in squidgy white bread!  

Indeed! I've never eaten canned asparagus of any sort, nor am I ever likely to do so.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I can believe it. It’s just a far cry from slimy canned asparagus wrapped in squidgy white bread!  

Last night's dinner was asparagus.  I once was served canned asparagus.  I threw up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

via Twitter

JUST IN TIME for Lunar New Year, Pizza Hut in Taiwan has started to offer a "Buddha Jumps Over the Wall" (佛跳牆) pizza. The monstrosity comes complete with abalone, scallops, sea cucumbers, garlic short-ribs, fish skin, quail eggs, taro, dried bamboo shoots, and cabbage.

FIRjWOOaQAAcDhG.thumb.jpg.4ae20dda68b4f0db5e54aae49b4e663d.jpg

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2