• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No! No! No! Stop it! The bad ideas topic!

liuzhou

45 minutes ago, kayb said:

I am almost certain one of these is worthy of the "second-worst food thing I've ever seen."

The worst was my late mother-in-law's salmon mousse. Canned salmon, gelatine, cream cheese. In a fish shaped mold. Slivered almonds for scales, and half a pitted olive for an eye. That nasty thing has made appearances in several of my worst night terrors.

I don't remember ever making it so can't comment on the recipe, but I do remember some rather palatable salmon mousse from that era    I also  remember those fish molds but not ever their product unmolded intact in front of guests, so have no idea if they had green or brown eyes, or eyes at all.

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

16 hours ago, kayb said:

The worst was my late mother-in-law's salmon mousse. Canned salmon, gelatine, cream cheese. In a fish shaped mold. Slivered almonds for scales, and half a pitted olive for an eye. That nasty thing has made appearances in several of my worst night terrors.

I have an almost identical recipe of my mom's, but with shrimp.  I haven't had it in at least 10 years, but I remember loving it.  I must sheepishly admit that, made with fresh salmon, I'd probably love your MIL's version, too.  I used to love canned salmon, but find it unpleasantly funky lately.  

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 11:55 AM, Kim Shook said:

I have an almost identical recipe of my mom's, but with shrimp.  I haven't had it in at least 10 years, but I remember loving it.  I must sheepishly admit that, made with fresh salmon, I'd probably love your MIL's version, too.  I used to love canned salmon, but find it unpleasantly funky lately.  

Oh, I remember this one well. It was the absolute height of sophistication at any fancy party or wedding party in the 70s and 80s in the south.  Mama made it so often on catering jobs that she could do it blindfolded, only her version had no celery, but finely minced green bell peppers. I haven’t had it in probably 30 years, but I loved it and looked forward to it every time.  I think it’s time to pull this one out of the hat again and make it this holiday season ( although I will be the only one of us that eats it…mama doesn’t care for shrimp, and Kathy and Olivia only like shrimp that is hot…oh well, more for me!)

As for the canned salmon, I’ve always had a fondness for it as well. Love a salmon patty, and once salmon manufacturers started selling it in cans similar to tuna, I started using it to make salad, subbing it for the tuna. Delicious.

What can I say…I’ve been known to revel in my lowbrow trashiness!

Edited by caroled (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

1 hour ago, caroled said:

As for the canned salmon, I’ve always had a fondness for it as well. Love a salmon patty, and once salmon manufacturers started selling it in cans similar to tuna, I started using it to make salad, subbing it for the tuna. Delicious.

I was well into my late 20s before I ate salmon that wasn't from a can. My mother thought it was some sort of exclusive gourmet food. I almost thought the fish lived in cans, despite living very near some of the best wild salmon fishing rivers in the world. They belong to the the Queen and were not the place for scum like me. Still aren't.

The first time I ate non-canned salmon was in a London restaurant and I remember thinking "That's not salmon! Nothing like salmon."

I'm a bit past my 20s now and still think salmon is overrated. The only time I eat it now is as shashimi or sushi but still not my favourite.

I can't remember the last time I ate canned salmon.

I thought "salmon manufacturers" were other salmon! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

"Coffee Mate’s New Creamer Tastes Like Rice Krispies Treats To Make Mornings Better"

Rice Krispies cereal and ooey-gooey marshmallow...Those are the elements that come together to create the new creamer. It’s basically like breakfast and snack time have joined forces, and resulted in a sweet sip.

Can I have some sugar with a side of sugar for my coffee? :S

Someone should have stopped this new flavor in the early stages of product development.¬¬

• Sad 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

17 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

The height of efficiency. Coffee and cereal in one cup.

My mother did that by accident one morning. I don't think she liked it.

• Haha 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I didn't know whether to post this in food funnies or here but it is so bad it's sad. Needless to say, I took the picture in the store. I did not buy it.

20211014_112907.thumb.jpg.336cf17d4ba6c856eb8ac2f1095c34d4.jpg

But it is low sodium!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 1

I mentioned back here in the potato chip flavors topic, the disgusting Luosifen chips that Lay's had launched in China.

Today a friend in Shanghai contacted me to warn me that Pretz, the Japanese snacks, have been launched in Shanghai in a luosifen flavor!

It's the end of civilisation. My friend tried one and described it as tasting like "like stinky mud".

pretz.thumb.png.eb54a8ff0e94bd9f803f1f6790745292.png

• Delicious 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Yep! What you see is what you get, minus the pretty little cherry tomato on top.

Are you sure it's not 'pasta' made from hearts of palm? Like this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2021 at 5:54 PM, Tropicalsenior said:

I didn't know whether to post this in food funnies or here but it is so bad it's sad. Needless to say, I took the picture in the store. I did not buy it.

20211014_112907.thumb.jpg.336cf17d4ba6c856eb8ac2f1095c34d4.jpg

Very popular around here.  Trader Joe’s regularly sells out of it. From their product description:

Tender, mild-tasting, hearts of palm come from the center of palm trees. Our Ecuadorian supplier takes special care to use only palms that have been cultivated specifically for heart harvesting. With their sustainable process, the palms are not cut down, which avoids endangering the trees.

Harvested Hearts are cut into thin, white strands, using a special process. Nothing is added to this mild- flavored Pasta, which means it’s ideal for heating and tossing with a variety of different sauces. Go Italian with some marinara or take things in an Asian direction by making Palm Hearts Pad Thai. Trader Joe’s Hearts of Palm Pasta even works well in your chicken noodle soup!

• 2 weeks later...

I got this email from my bank yesterday that tells me if I buy a large combo and pay for it with my bank card or if I spend at least 15 bucks by ordering it from ubereats I will get a free dog biscuit. I would say a little more about it but I'm on my way to rush out and get it. I'm sure this is one that's going to be going fast.

Screenshot_20211024-074448_Gmail.thumb.jpg.4277f29030cb81cf79f1f07892e2e905.jpg

Can't wait to see that same smile on my dog's face when she sees her dog biscuit. They say that it's barbecue flavor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, SLB said:

Honestly, that Heinz option made me really sad.  

So I had pretty much the same thought when I saw this photo ad pop up in Facebook:

2238987-center-1.thumb.jpeg.beea5290ad102ccf2b9ad4393b5fa720.jpeg

I wasn't familiar with the brand and it took a while before I got to the very bottom of the label and saw what it really is!

• Haha 12