• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No! No! No! Stop it! The bad ideas topic!

liuzhou

@Tropicalsenior I don't recall it at all, but It was restricted to a relatively small area. I don't think it had much, if any, effect on bacon availabilty to the extent that we were wolfing down canned bacon in desperation! Again no one I have spoken to remembers that.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I remember canned bacon associated with the DAK brand.    Maybe we bought it at Cost Plus, an American import retailer, and maybe in the mid-60s.    I remember its having excellent flavor and seductive aroma.   At the time, we preferred it to either butcher shop or packaged bacon.  

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

there

I never did figure out where the 'there' that they were talking about was but I have always had the feeling that I was on the outside of the hippie movement looking in and I was certainly glad that I wasn't 'there'.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

You know what they say about the 1960's.

"If you remember it, you weren't there!"

liuz, I was in San Francisco in '67.   "There" was often not as cool as it was made out to be.   And you're right.   A lot of minds got fried.   And a lot of gawdawful food was eaten.

eGullet member #80.

41 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Coming soon to a store near you.

international-delight-fruity-pebbles-and-cocoa-pebbles-coffee-creamers-1605034665.jpg.4c2dc821cdfdd16955a6f5ab1818594f.jpg

https://www.bestproducts.com/lifestyle/a34632604/international-delight-fruity-pebbles-and-cocoa-pebbles-coffee-creamers/

Now you can have your coffee and your cereal together in one cup.

So what the kids will be glugging down the creamer as a treat when mom's back is turned? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Coming soon?   Do kids today even recognize the Flintstones?

According to the article, it's to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Flintstones.

It's aimed at the old kids that do remember it.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Thanks 1

Gag memories.   Long, long ago we used to go gold panning with another couple.  The other couple were not food oriented.   As in, eat to live.   But she was in charge of riverside lunches which consisted of a can of Vienna sausages and jar of Heinz chili sauce.    

I am told that canned Vienna sausage and grape jelly/Heinz chili sauce were chafing dish cocktail highlights at about the same time.    We somehow never encountered them.    They had to be better than these cold-out-of-the-can riparian lunches.     At least I was able to stand my ground and insist that at night we go into town to the local "local" for martinis, steak and red. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

eGullet member #80.

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2021 at 3:45 PM, DesertTinker said:

Having eaten canned bacon (we had a grocery liquidation store here for a few years, so got to experience lots of regional products that would not normally have been available, but hey, it was fun) properly prepared, it wasn’t any worse than any other ordinary bacon. That said, getting it out of the can and into the  skillet to crisp up and finish was a gag worthy experience, slippery, fatty meat rolled up in parchment paper, urgh!

I appreciated canned bacon when working in a bush camp with no refrigeration except a cooler stuck in a hole in the ground and were the food came in weekly if you were lucky.

Yes, getting it out of the can is disgusting. 

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 8/20/2021 at 10:45 PM, DesertTinker said:

...we had a grocery liquidation store here for a few years, so got to experience lots of regional products that would not normally have been available...

Yes!  We frequent two "discount" grocers where we find a wealth of products we've never seen at our normal markets.    Odd-ball concoctions that we'd never try at their normal retail but for a couple of bucks are worth testing,     And some proprietary brands not universally available.    I've started being a little more conservative as i have a panoply of esoteric ingredients and sauces to find uses for.    😄

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

My grandson just sent me this picture. It made me sick to my stomach just looking at it.

bfd.png.010edd6b772ba068417fac6018bbaea3.png

I can't say that particular photo tempts me, but Max Halley has a recipe for Lasagne Balls in his cookbook - breaded and deep fried as you would arancini - and they sound like excellent drunk food to me!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I can't say that particular photo tempts me, but Max Halley has a recipe for Lasagne Balls in his cookbook - breaded and deep fried as you would arancini - and they sound like excellent drunk food to me!

I'd like to hear some feedback from these people on that idea.

• Haha 3

On 8/11/2021 at 3:37 AM, liuzhou said:

This morning I passed by a local branch of Starbucks and saw this sign outside.

starbucks.thumb.jpg.e9a86f93acebe2671847d281e3c8acb5.jpg

Starbucks Cloud™ Beer Flavored Latte⁈ What is wrong with them⁈

No doubt served with these.

On 8/21/2021 at 11:39 AM, Tropicalsenior said:

Coming soon to a store near you.

international-delight-fruity-pebbles-and-cocoa-pebbles-coffee-creamers-1605034665.jpg.4c2dc821cdfdd16955a6f5ab1818594f.jpg

https://www.bestproducts.com/lifestyle/a34632604/international-delight-fruity-pebbles-and-cocoa-pebbles-coffee-creamers/

Now you can have your coffee and your cereal together in one cup.

I am almost certain one of these is worthy of the "second-worst food thing I've ever seen."

The worst was my late mother-in-law's salmon mousse. Canned salmon, gelatine, cream cheese. In a fish shaped mold. Slivered almonds for scales, and half a pitted olive for an eye. That nasty thing has made appearances in several of my worst night terrors.

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

12 minutes ago, kayb said:

I am almost certain one of these is worthy of the "second-worst food thing I've ever seen."

The worst was my late mother-in-law's salmon mousse. Canned salmon, gelatine, cream cheese. In a fish shaped mold. Slivered almonds for scales, and half a pitted olive for an eye. That nasty thing has made appearances in several of my worst night terrors.

But it was considered "ladies luncheon"  sophisticated/chic ;)

• Like 1