• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No! No! No! Stop it! The bad ideas topic!

liuzhou

• 2 weeks later...

Vintage "bad ideas" dept:

240122777_3059235197655475_1080191039987392433_n.thumb.jpg.77457c555694bd15963f89de40c766cc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Oh dear. That moulded salad is almost certain to give me nightmares. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

240122777_3059235197655475_1080191039987392433_n.thumb.jpg.77457c555694bd15963f89de40c766cc.jpg

From the same company that brought Veg-All into existence. They must’ve done something right, The Larsen Company was in business from 1895-2006. This most certainly could not have been it!🤢

Edited by DesertTinker
Punctuation (log)

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Oh dear. That moulded salad is almost certain to give me nightmares. 

The immediate post-war years in America were some of our darkest.    Relative technology (canning, freezing) + gelatin + middle class pretensions -> some pretty awful concoctions.   Such as a passed on family recipe for "Maddy's cranberry salad" = raspberry Jello, half pint sour cream, can of cranberries.   Or "Lime pineapple salad" = lime Jello, flat of crushed pineapple, half pint of cottage cheese.  

Somehow, we all survived.   Even if these didn't.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

2 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

It got worse than that. I remember a buffet once where someone had one with okra and canned mushrooms.

That sounds not half bad.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

39 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

I’m literally gagging at the thought of that canned veggie cone. 

Quite literally I threw up after being forced to dine on post war canned asparagus.  My palate never again approached asparagus until the 1970's.

Sort of like the canned bacon my English hostess served on my first visit to Great Britain.  Only by then I was polite enough to partially suppress the gag reflex.  @liuzhou has assured me British bacon is not like this.  I do not believe him.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Not half bad ... entirely bad? ;)

"Not half bad" == "more than half good".  Under what swamp did you grow up?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sort of like the canned bacon my English hostess served on my first visit to Great Britain.  Only by then I was polite enough to partially suppress the gag reflex.  @liuzhou has assured me British bacon is not like this.  I do not believe him.

Believe whatever you like.

The fact is that in almost 70 years of being British, I have never eaten canned bacon; nor do I recall ever seeing it.

However a little research does indicate that what little canned bacon is sold in UK, is and has been imported. From the USA!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Canned bacon actually exists? Gosh and I thought my bad idea of ordering a pizza at 1am would take the cake for today! 

Especially since I’m 1- no longer hungry (I didn’t eat yesterday) and 2- am nodding off from exhaustion!! 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Having eaten canned bacon (we had a grocery liquidation store here for a few years, so got to experience lots of regional products that would not normally have been available, but hey, it was fun) properly prepared, it wasn’t any worse than any other ordinary bacon. That said, getting it out of the can and into the  skillet to crisp up and finish was a gag worthy experience, slippery, fatty meat rolled up in parchment paper, urgh!

Edited by DesertTinker
Added info (log)

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Believe whatever you like.

The fact is that in almost 70 years of being British, I have never eaten canned bacon; nor do I recall ever seeing it.

However a little research does indicate that what little canned bacon is sold in UK, is and has been imported. From the USA!

The canned bacon in question was product of Denmark.

In the well more than 70 years I have been American, I have never seen nor been served canned bacon, save in Britain.  One has to have a taste for small bones and cartilage.

Canned bacon is very much a "thing" among the prepper community, and it commands a considerable premium over the price of regular bacon. There are plenty of examples on Amazon, so I won't bother sullying this thread with links.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I had a hunch that it was probably Danish because I had seen canned a lot of Danish bacon in the supermarkets in the US about that time. If I remember right, didn't the UK have an epidemic of disease about that time that just about wiped out the pigs in Britain.

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I had a hunch that it was probably Danish because I had seen canned a lot of Danish bacon in the supermarkets in the US about that time. If I remember right, didn't the UK have an epidemic of disease about that time that just about wiped out the pigs in Britain.

I don't recall any outbreak of disease among pigs in the 1960s, nor can I find anything online referring to that. Perhaps you are  thinking of so-called "mad cow" disease, but that was 1980s and as the name suggests affected mainly cattle, but also 177 people died. Later, in the early 2000s, there was an outbreak of foot and mouth disease, but that affected mostly cattle and sheep, although some pigs were involved..

The two largest suppliers of canned bacon seem to have been Yoder's (Ohio - based) and Plumrose (Chicago based, but now owned by JBS in Brazil, who acquired the company in 2017.)

Danish bacon was certainly sold in the UK in the 1960s, but no one I have spoken to recalls canned Danish bacon.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto