• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No! No! No! Stop it! The bad ideas topic!

liuzhou

11 minutes ago, jkarpf said:

From a 1962 Green Giant ad in the New Yorker. A James Beard recipe can be trusted, right? . . .

James Beard - Gourmet Cooking with Vegetables, 1962.png

Not a fan of mega agra food but the ad guys at Green Giant did make vegetables cool for kids as did Popeye w/ spinach.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm not sure if this is bad or just sad.

DjdLkbRXgAEVIJ3.jpg.725557055e835f4b97b95cfd9339c2a2.jpg

What are "tested quality donuts"?  Is there a USDA (or other governmental standards agency) set of standards to test them to?

• Like 2

Wow.  I found "Tested Quality Donuts"  by Mayflower and Downyflake had a pavilion at the 1939 New York World's Fair.   So, essentially this is deviled ham, mixed with avocado and crushed nuts on a split sweet bread.   Sounds like the next step in "Avocado Toast" for $15.   Hipsters might line up for this while washing it down with their iced Kombucha lattes!

Or is it make this and find 6-8 people you hate and serve it to them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/9/2021 at 8:10 AM, KennethT said:

I just saw an add for this on FB.... I think this company is several years too late...

https://www.spherificator.com/

This has been around for years - there is one sitting in my chocolate room up on the shelf from my molecular days. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 9:41 PM, Kerry Beal said:

there is one sitting in my chocolate room up on the shelf from my molecular days. 

You had a spherificater when you were a molecule? Isn't that a bit precocious?  😆

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm not sure if this is bad or just sad.

DjdLkbRXgAEVIJ3.jpg.725557055e835f4b97b95cfd9339c2a2.jpg

Oh, dear God. We can end this thread right now--nothing could be worse than this. I think it's the deviled ham that did it for me. Or the Worcestershire sauce. I especially like the way that 18 donuts will serve 6-8, which works out to 2 or 3 donuts per person. Is it possible to eat 3 of these? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

10 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Oh, dear God. We can end this thread right now--nothing could be worse than this. I think it's the deviled ham that did it for me. Or the Worcestershire sauce. I especially like the way that 18 donuts will serve 6-8, which works out to 2 or 3 donuts per person. Is it possible to eat 3 of these? 

The deviled ham and the additions seem ok to me; kinda "fancy" for the era. The doughnuts may not have been the mainly air and sugar concoctions we see alot now. Perfect county fair offering? 

To my horror, I spotted this in a store this morning.

paella.thumb.jpg.17e6b2af58c79a53233611eb5e8268ba.jpg

Microwave for two minutes. Shelf life - 12 months! The worst thing is that it is actually imported from Spain! Well Navarra, the Basque region. Not Valencia.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Microwave for two minutes. Shelf life - 12 months! The worst thing is that it is actually imported from Spain! Well Navarra, the Basque region. Not Valencia.

Are you going to take one for the team? 

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

Are you going to take one for the team? 

Certainly not. As I have said before, I have standards. Astonishingly low standards, but there is only so far I will  go.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Certainly not. As I have said before, I have standards. Astonishly low standards, but there is only so far I will  go.

Not an adventuresome eater, eh? 😂😂

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Certainly not. As I have said before, I have standards. Astonishingly low standards, but there is only so far I will  go.

But...but...it's 100 percent natural, with no artificial preservatives! And gluten-free! And sort of nutritious! 

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

paella.thumb.jpg.17e6b2af58c79a53233611eb5e8268ba.jpg

I assume the seafood is not included though, right?

Oh but there’s more!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Oh but there’s more!

Interesting that they don't include a list of ingredients on the website. I'm sure the packaging has to under EU regulations.I have to pass that store later today, so I'll check to see, but I'm reasonably sure the seafood is included.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've noticed shelf stable products like that more frequently in other countries, not US. A mental block? Maybe similar to a frozen product of same ilk. Not on my shopping list but all that product testing money - who knows?

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Interesting that they don't include a list of ingredients on the website. I'm sure the packaging has to under EU regulations.I have to pass that store later today, so I'll check to see, but I'm reasonably sure the seafood is included.

How old are the room-temp stored dried shrimp sold in bulk at my neighborhood shop?

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

How old are the room-temp stored dried shrimp sold in bulk at my neighborhood shop?

Who knows?

But I do know they are not restored to plump juiciness by two minutes in the microwave.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Here you go (from the Spanish as translated by me):

Ingredients: Cooked rice (68%), vegetables (12%) (red pepper, peas, onion and tomato), seafood (10%) (squid (mollusk), mussel, shrimps), sunflower oil, natural flavors (fish and shellfish), salt and saffron extract.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1