• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No! No! No! Stop it! The bad ideas topic!

liuzhou

23 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Not particularly Vietnemese. We have here in China too (Vietnam probably got it from China) with eithersnake or lizards. Soetimes, sea horses.

I've also drunk grappa in Italy with snake in the bottle. And seen vodka with snake in Russia. Seems to be quite common in many places.

Yes, the wiki says invented in China.  Congrats.   We just didn't see it there or the other 7 Asian countries in quite the abundance as Vietnam.  It was everywhere.  

That wasn't chicken

3 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Yes, the wiki says invented in China.  Congrats.   We just didn't see it there or the other 7 Asian countries in quite the abundance as Vietnam.  It was everywhere.  

It is considered to be a medicine here rather than a tipple when you are thirsty, so it's only available in traditional Chinese pharmacies. I guess you didn't visit so many of them in China.

Funnily enough, I'm not doubting you at all, but I don't remember ever seeing it in Vietnam. I did in Laos or Cambodia - I forget which.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

It is considered to be a medicine here rather than a tipple when you are thirsty, so it's only available in traditional Chinese pharmacies. I guess you didn't visit so many of them in China.

Funnily enough, I'm not doubting you at all, but I don't remember ever seeing it in Vietnam. I did in Laos or Cambodia - I forget which.

I saw plenty in Laos not Cambodia. We visited a couple chinese pharmacies. My wife was elated to learn she didn't need a script for codeine or maybe vicodin. Not sure but it was something strong.  She was ready to move there....w or w out me. 

• Haha 1

That wasn't chicken

53 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

What is that? 

A lesser-known Canadian tradition.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/sourtoe-cocktail-lives-on-at-yukon-bar-after-creator-wills-his-own-toes-1.4693551

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

What the...

20210412_114015.thumb.jpg.4b4a48e9a789385775754ffb18d7200a.jpg

Pomegranate flavour cranberries? What's wrong with cranberry flavour cranberries?

(They also do blueberry flavour cranberries! Cherry flavour cranberries! Snail flavour cranberries!)

OK. I made up one of those, but why not! At least there are no c@rn flavour cranberries. Yet.

I should mention that I regularly buy both dried cranberries and orange flavored dry cranberries.  For years.  I don't know why they exist, but they taste good.  Better than the yam flavored ones at any rate (yes, that part's a joke).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is it reasonable to assume they did some marketing research and that it had appeal to some? I can’t see adding it to my grocery list.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Is it reasonable to assume they did some marketing research and that it had appeal to some? I can’t see adding it to my grocery list.

I doubt they did much, if any, market research. They probably just reached for novelty at any price and threw it out there.

I love squid and I'm partial to the occasional drop of ice cream, but never, ever simultaneously. My shopping basket will not be sullied!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I had squid ink icecream once while living in Japan. It was not awful - just different (and pitch black) ...

I've seen squid ink ice cream and yoghurt here. I remember the strange ice creams in Japan, too.

The worst I've seen here though, is the very popular c*rn ice cream!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I've seen squid ink ice cream and yoghurt here. I remember the strange ice creams in Japan, too.

The worst I've seen here though, is the very popular c*rn ice cream!

What is that tree that smells just like it. All over the local high school campus - kids call it the cum tree.  Squid does have a clean sweetness so there is some sense to the ice cream.

ETA: ornamental pear

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Brace yourself!

mmexportcbca3b7902c9a67c201cca4a959dad49_1620237845334.thumb.jpg.95bcc612cfbcdc1dd1f9ff4cfc23b795.jpg

Squid ice cream on a stick!

Damn, I'm curious.  How do you not try this? - Worried you'll sprout more limbs?  Who couldn't use an extra arm?  And is that a cat paw? Are we to believe it will catch the octopus and make the ice cream? I love the Chinese.

That wasn't chicken

1 minute ago, Eatmywords said:

Damn, I'm curious.  How do you not try this? - Worried you'll sprout more limbs?  Who couldn't use an extra arm?  And is that a cat paw? Are we to believe it will catch the octopus and make the ice cream? I love the Chinese.

I have taste buds and standards!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/6/2021 at 7:32 AM, Duvel said:

I had squid ink icecream once while living in Japan. It was not awful - just different (and pitch black) ...

But then again, Japan features a lot of weird icecream flavors, some of which would not find your appraisal, either (yes, @liuzhou, I am looking at you):

53912_700x.jpg

I have made corn ice cream, and it was delicious. Oh, that I had thought to have that presentation! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.