• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No! No! No! Stop it! The bad ideas topic!

liuzhou

Refresh my memory.  Marijuana is illegal in China, right?  So... what use is stoner food?

And, just to add -- durian is the most vile addition to anything... including more durian.  Just sayin'.

• Haha 2

On 1/9/2020 at 1:37 AM, Steve R. said:

Refresh my memory.  Marijuana is illegal in China, right?  So... what use is stoner food?

And, just to add -- durian is the most vile addition to anything... including more durian.  Just sayin'.

Technically, marijuana is illegal, yet it is is openly offered for sale in countryside markets in certain areas. Don't PM me for details! 

Hemp oil is widely available around here, but contains only negligible amounts of THC and so is legal. It is even available in my local state-owned, over-expensive department store's  basement excuse for a "supermarket". Hemp seeds are also easy to find.

363847035_CannabisSativaL.(Oil).thumb.jpg.4cc72b5476738838668c0721261a8f2e.jpg

For the record,  I like both durian and oysters, but preferably weeks apart!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I suppose one could argue that strawberries provide the same dash of tartness that a squeeze of lemon does, but it still seems wrong.  I went out to dinner recently and the chicken liver mousse had kiwi on the side.  I was all, " kiwi?  wtf?" but in reality the flavor is not that different from a tart apple, which I wouldn't have questioned. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
16 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Top: Shop's Cheese and Durian Cake
Bottom: Shop's Cheese and Banana Cake

I don't care for bananas in baked goods and prefer durian fresh so >>> running! But I'll admit they do have some taste profile similarities with stinky cheese. Then again I can't wrap my tiny mind around some of the plus cheese stuff I see in Korea.

On 1/9/2020 at 1:29 PM, pastrygirl said:

I suppose one could argue that strawberries provide the same dash of tartness that a squeeze of lemon does, but it still seems wrong.  I went out to dinner recently and the chicken liver mousse had kiwi on the side.  I was all, " kiwi?  wtf?" but in reality the flavor is not that different from a tart apple, which I wouldn't have questioned. 

I was thinking the same...  But the picture looks rather syrupy.  I am afraid the actual dish might be intolerably sweet.

We will never know, until @liuzhou goes to taste it for us!

4 minutes ago, donk79 said:

I was thinking the same...  But the picture looks rather syrupy.  I am afraid the actual dish might be intolerably sweet.

We will never know, until @liuzhou goes to taste it for us!

Don't set your alarm clock!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 months later...

We all know we are living in the end days even if we don't admit it to ourselves. The end is nigh!

If you don't believe me, read this tale of horror in the face of the apocalypse. Then head for the bunker poste haste!

C@rn Tofu

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 5 months later...

What the...

20210412_114015.thumb.jpg.4b4a48e9a789385775754ffb18d7200a.jpg

Pomegranate flavour cranberries? What's wrong with cranberry flavour cranberries?

(They also do blueberry flavour cranberries! Cherry flavour cranberries! Snail flavour cranberries!)

OK. I made up one of those, but why not! At least there are no c@rn flavour cranberries. Yet.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Inspired by the Vietnamese?

(Sadly, after the requisite tourist samplings can report no obvious 'stamina' boost)

Not particularly Vietnamese. We have here in China too (Vietnam probably got it from China) with either snake or lizard. Sometimes, sea horses.

I've also drunk grappa in Italy with snake in the bottle. And seen vodka with snake in Russia. Seems to be quite common in many places.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

Reminds me of a tin we bought at an antique market.    Labeled "snake venom."     i had it sitting on a kitchen shelf when son spotted it and went ballistic, "WTF ARE YOU THINKING?!   You have NO IDEA what was in that tin or how potent it was or what residue is left even if it was packaged in an interior bottle."     We triple wrapped it in newspaper and put it in the garbage.   How DO you get rid of something like that?

eGullet member #80.