• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yup - ours were made with cream cheese buttering the squished bread - had to be canned asparagus. I could probably still do some serious damage to some! Canadian here. 

And in response to @chromedome - maraschino cherries or manzanilla olives or gerkins could make up the middle. 

I'd eat that now, cream cheese and canned asparagus rolls.  Somewhere in my genetic memory I'm sure I've had this at a relation's house at some get together.

The olives and gherkins would work for me too.  Skip the maraschinos, never been a fan of those.

EDIT:  I swear I've had them here in the SW within that last couple decades, except using a flour tortilla instead of bread.

lemniscate

lemniscate

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yup - ours were made with cream cheese buttering the squished bread - had to be canned asparagus. I could probably still do some serious damage to some! Canadian here. 

And in response to @chromedome - maraschino cherries or manzanilla olives or gerkins could make up the middle. 

I'd eat that now, cream cheese and canned asparagus rolls.  Somewhere in my genetic memory I'm sure I've had this at a relation's house at some get together.

The olives and gherkins would work for me too.  Skip the maraschinos, never been a fan of those.

EDIT:  I swear I've had them here in the SW within that last couple decades, expect using a flour tortilla instead of bread.

lemniscate

lemniscate

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said: