• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

On 7/16/2021 at 9:41 PM, liuzhou said:

extracto de azafrán

Having lived in a Latin country for 30 years I can tell you that  azafrán does not really mean anything. It may say it is saffron and you may think it is saffron but it is just something that gives it the color. It may be turmeric, it may be achiote or even just yellow food coloring. But ninety-nine times out of a hundred, it's not saffron.

I just got out my box of Goya with azafrán and the ingredient list has Mexican azafrán on it. Here is what Reddit says about that.

It's safflower, not saffron.

Safflower is known as “Mexican saffron” or azafran. Aside from the fact that it comes from a completely different plant, another difference is that the petals are the part of this plant that are used and not the stigmas. Safflower has commonly been passed off as saffron as it has a similar ability to color food along with a pleasant, distinctive flavor."

One commenter on Chowhound said it all. "If it's cheap it's not saffron"

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

On 7/16/2021 at 9:41 PM, liuzhou said:

extracto de azafrán

Having lived in a Latin country for 30 years I can tell you that  azafrán does it really mean anything. It may say it is saffron and you may think it is saffron but it is just something that gives it the color. It may be turmeric, it may be achiote or even just yellow food coloring. But ninety-nine times out of a hundred, it's not saffron.