• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I just think this is weird.

But first, I admire how, in Chinese dinner parties at home (or in a restaurant), no one thinks twice if offered a store-bought dish along with home cooked. This was a friend's food a few days ago. She has given her permission for me to post it here.

239090131__20210726033309.thumb.jpg.a143ab626380f546d5a670e61b3be887.jpg

I could make out that plastic box contains what I took to be salmon, some slices of lemon and what appears to be mayonnaise, but to be sure I asked her. She sent me the ingredients label, which fortunately she still had.

1687282802__20210726164946.thumb.jpg.b28391f23bac2684021513c8e86d3e03.jpg

This lists the ingredients as: Atlantic salmon, butter, mayonnnaise, garlic, vegetable oil, Moravian cheese, salt, lemon and spices.

This is odd in itself. Moravianan cheese, I'm taking to be Olomoucké tvarůžky, the soft cheese from Loštice, Moravia, in the Czech Republic, rather than the Italian-sounding Gran Moravia, the hard cheese, also made in the Czech Republic, but using traditional Italian methods. But who knows? Not my friend.

But what really spooks me is that it comes with clear instructions on how to cook the dish:

Home oven:  Bake for 8-10 minutes at 200℃; or pan fry on a low heat for about 3 minutes.

Yet, there it is on the table, clearly uncooked. Of course, I asked my friend.

"Oh! I didn't notice that! I thought it tasted a bit strange, but just guessed that is what foreign food is meant to taste like!"

Full marks for being adventurous, zero for reading her own language.

P.S. She teaches Chinese language in a high school!

liuzhou

liuzhou

I justthing this is weird.

But first I admire how, in Chinese dinner parties at home (or in a restaurant), no one thinks twice if offered a store-bought dish along with home cooked. This was a friend's food a few days ago. She has given her permission for me to post it here.

239090131__20210726033309.thumb.jpg.a143ab626380f546d5a670e61b3be887.jpg

I could make out that plastic box contains what I took to be salmon, some slices of lemon and what appears to be mayonnaise, but to be sure I asked her. She sent me the ingredients label, which fortunately she still had.

1687282802__20210726164946.thumb.jpg.b28391f23bac2684021513c8e86d3e03.jpg

This lists the ingredients as: Atlantic salmon, butter, mayonnnaise, garlic, vegetable oil, Moravian cheese, salt, lemon and spices.

This is odd in itself. Moravianan cheese, I'm taking to be Olomoucké tvarůžky, the soft cheese from Loštice, Moravia, in the Czech Republic, rather than the Italian-sounding Gran Moravia, the hard cheese, als omade in the Czech Republic, but using traditional Italian methods. But who knows. Not my friend.

But what really spooks me is that it comes with clear instructions on how to cook the dish

Home oven:  Bake for 8-10 minutes at 200℃; or pan fry on a low heat for about 3 minutes.

Yet, there it is on the table, clearly uncooked. Of course, I asked my friend.

"Oh! I didn't notice that! I thought it tasted a bit strange, but just guessed that is what foreign food is meant to taste like!"

Full marks for being adventurous, zero for reading her own language.

P.S. She teaches Chinese language in a high school!