• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Rasmus

Rasmus

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I assume these wouldn't be full size ovens in width and depth with just less vertical space or they wouldn't be much cheaper to run. They would probably be more costly to run once you were running more than one. The problem, outside of buying and wiring a bunch of single shelf ovens, is that you have a bunch of single shelf ovens. So you either have them all on or you hope you aren't busier than what you have on can handle or you're waiting (which means your customers are waiting) for additional ovens to heat when it's busier than anticipated. Even if it's a single unit with multiple independently controlled single shelf ovens built into it, that would only solve he wiring difficulty... the other problems would remain.

I think they could match say quarter sheets, which will make their volumes much smaller and therefore super fast to heat up. You basically wouldn't need to preheat them at all, but start the cooking as you put in the food.

The wiring should be super simple. Basically similar to a server rack (central power strip embedded in the shelves). There could even be a central control display, letting the user set all ovens to the same program - for large batches - or control them individually.

I think they would be more costly to run if you were to run them the entire time and the same temperature. That sounds like a kitchen continuously preparing large quantities of the same type of food. But that's not the type of kitchen I am talking about here. I am thinking about restaurants with diverse menus, where each serving may be small (one person, often); small restaurants and restaurants that work with prepared dishes, that are done in a central kitchen elsewhere...

Rasmus

Rasmus

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I assume these wouldn't be full size ovens in width and depth with just less vertical space or they wouldn't be much cheaper to run. They would probably be more costly to run once you were running more than one. The problem, outside of buying and wiring a bunch of single shelf ovens, is that you have a bunch of single shelf ovens. So you either have them all on or you hope you aren't busier than what you have on can handle or you're waiting (which means your customers are waiting) for additional ovens to heat when it's busier than anticipated. Even if it's a single unit with multiple independently controlled single shelf ovens built into it, that would only solve he wiring difficulty... the other problems would remain.

I think they could match say quarter sheets, which will make their volumes much smaller and therefore super fast to heat up. You basically wouldn't need to preheat them at all, but start the cooking as you put in the food.

The wiring should be super simple. Basically similar to a server rack (central power strip embedded in the shelves). There could even be a central control display, letting the user set all ovens to the same program - for large batches - or control the individually.

I think they would be more costly to run if you were to run them the entire time and the same temperature. That sounds like a kitchen continuously preparing large quantities of the same type of food. But that's not the type of kitchen I am talking about here. I am thinking about restaurants with diverse menus, where each serving may be small (one person, often); small restaurants and restaurants that work with prepared dishes, that are done in a central kitchen elsewhere...

Rasmus

Rasmus

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I think they could match say quarter sheets, which will make their volumes much smaller and therefore super fast to heat up. You basically wouldn't need to reheat them at all, but start the cooking as you put in the food.

The wiring should be super simple. Basically similar to a server rack (central power strip embedded in the shelves). There could even be a central control display, letting the user set all ovens to the same program - for large batches - or control the individually.