• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Immersion Blenders

Marlene

I am not a fan of immersion blenders.  In my experience the motor is first thing to go.  If I were really wanting to use one I would buy KitchenAid.  Your mileage may vary.  KitchenAid may or may not last longer than cheaper stuff but the wands are interchangeable.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 minutes ago, ASporkwithBravado said:

I've never had a motor fail, even on the cheapest models.  It's always been the shaft attachment bearing/seals for me (having used 15-17 blenders)

Go with KitchenAid then.  Problem solved.

What are you blending? Our 2 Brauns are 30+ years old. Not as much used as yours but steady beasts. Maybe lay in some lightly used older ones when they were better made.  Probably cheap. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, heidih said:

What are you blending? Our 2 Brauns are 30+ years old. Not as much used as yours but steady beasts. Maybe lay in some lightly used older ones when they were better made.  Probably cheap. 

I can't recall if mine is Braun or Cuisinart, but I've had it at least 30 years with nothing breaking. But, I also do not use it as much as you do.

Deb

Liberty, MO

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

You'd have to prise my Bamix out of my cold dead hand!

Mine, too. Although it would have to be out of my cold dead hand, not yours. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a KitchenAid regular old stick blender.   It's about 10 years old at least.  I use it may be once a week for soups, salad dressings, 2 minute mayo and three times a day to blend my Metamucil 😎

Still going strong.  Maybe the ones made now aren't as well made?

I picked up an off-brand -- Ambiano, the brand of a lot of small electrics sold at Aldi -- four or five years ago. It has two wands, one a blender and one a whisk. I use it probably once a week. It's held up fine, but obviously the amount of use is not close to yours. But I think I paid maybe $19.95 for it.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Certainly Bamix is available on Amazon so I’m not sure why you are getting these pages.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Certainly Bamix is available on Amazon so I’m not sure why you are getting these pages.

I can search successfully for Bamix on Amazon but I also get the dogs when I click on @liuzhou's link.  But I like the dogs so I’ve clicked multiple times!

Edited to add that Clancy is my favorite so far!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

lot of cold dead hands here

Sooo sorry

I used to enjoy some of their posts :

Bamix ?

1111.thumb.jpg.1715c228093d3eeeb40d65e0721178bc.jpg

222222.thumb.jpg.9142074dfcf362aa94bd47889d119a21.jpg

now I might wait for some Cats

but ................

When I type "bamix" into amazon I get loads of relevant results.  No dogs.  And free Prime one day delivery.

I don't have a Bamix immersion blender but the motor of my rotor stator homogenizer is made by Bamix.  Good stuff.

58 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I can search successfully for Bamix on Amazon but I also get the dogs when I click on @liuzhou's link.  But I like the dogs so I’ve clicked multiple times!

I clicked multiple times, no Airedales.

Only a few corgi, and various types of poo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

That explains it. I went directly to Amazon.  I did not realize there was a link!

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

The units found at https://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/stick-blender.html look very sturdy; however what concerns me is all the smaller units seem very severely underpowered, between  100-150 watts, and the higher powered units are much too large for my needs.

So far, the best regular retail consumer unit I've used is the Cuisine art Smartstick 2 speed 200watt motor, which cost me about $50.

Heidih: I use mine to blend meal replacement protein shakes.  10oz milk, 25g protein powder, and frozen fruit of various sorts; blueberries, bananas, strawberries, sometimes sweet potatos etc. and add spices/lemon or orange flavoured fish oil.  Also I sometimes blend frozen blueberries with lowfat cottage cheese and erythritol- it makes a nice low fat/calorie high protein  cream cheese substitute spread, tastes exactly like the Einstein bagels full fat spread.

Re: those that own kitchen aid units- what Ive found is it's really hard to guage a units durability off time of ownership alone.  Cos if someone uses it infrequently, the total run time may be actually very low.  My mother had a 20 dollar unit that never stopped working over the course of 20 years, but she never used it on a regular basis.

The Bamix has caught my interest; for those that own it, how many hours of total run time have your units had?  Longevity is the most important factor for me right now.  Price isn't an object if its lifespan/performance is congruent.

I used my OG (old guy) for broccoli soup today and noticed the caution "household type" implying a "Braunier" version. The other 2 I found in the garage. Not my personal ones. I like the blend container in the boxed one - does not seem to have been used. 

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ASporkwithBravado said:

So far, the best regular retail consumer unit I've used is the Cuisine art Smartstick 2 speed 200watt motor, which cost me about $50.

This is the one I use, or rather very seldom use.  I paid $31.49.  I've had the Cuisinart four and a half years and used it about as many times.  But it does work.

Looking through the offerings on WebstaurantStore, I'd be interested in the Robot Coupe MicroMix

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/robot-coupe-micromix-7-variable-speed-immersion-blender-120v/649MICROMIX.html

...if I thought I had any real use for an immersion blender.  Robot Coupe also offers a range of Mini blenders that are just a little larger.

• 2 weeks later...