• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why the milk I buy comes in plastic bags.

Anna N

22 hours ago, Darienne said:

This wiggly, jiggly aspect of the bag is not a problem.  The bag sits inside a container and you just snip off one corner of the bag to use it.  

That certainly works but after you click off a corner of the container you have no way to reseal it. After I had it seems like the milk would go bad faster and pick up other odors.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

11 hours ago, MSRadell said:

That certainly works but after you click off a corner of the container you have no way to reseal it. After I had it seems like the milk would go bad faster and pick up other odors.

It's a very small cutting, just enough to let a stream of milk out. Obviously the size of the cut corner determines the flow. I've had no problems with spoilage or odor.

I also buy "pure filtered milk" which lasts considerably longer - I bought 4 litres of milk on Jan 2 with an expiry date of Jan 29 - the brand was Lactantia.

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

What about glass bottles/jars, which are returned to the store when you buy more milk, and are then sterilized and refilled.

Labour intensive. Wise but hardly economical.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, Shelby said:

I have the flu something fierce so I'm not firing on all cylinders.  Forgive if a dumb question.

Does the milk container (not the bag) have a lid?

I'm sorry to read that you have the flu.  You need to stay in bed with Hannibal and the good doctor.  As for the milk container, you can buy them without a lid or with a lid that slides on.

• Thanks 1

The solution is to wait until some kind soul (most recently my son) will take me to a store that accepts the empty bottles for refund.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou