• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Fandy--Fair Haven

Rosie

Chef/owner Martin Plastiak put a "le" in front of his nickname "Fandy" and came up with the name of his new restaurant "Le Fandy" located at 609 River Road, Fair Haven. This is a very small space and reservations are not taken. We were told that after 6:30 on weekends you usually have to wait for a table. Weekdays are not a problem. Not only is this restaurant small but you may want to eat before you dine here as the portions are very small as well. The menu lists nine appetizers, five fish entrees, three meat courses and one vegetarian entrée. We ordered fish as Chef Plastiak is formerly from Le Bernardin, New York City.

One problem we had with all of the dishes was that they were underseasoned. Yellowfin tuna carpaccio was spread so thinly on a small plate that we thought it was a thin layer of sauce. The menu listed that the tuna was brushed lightly with a ginger lime mayonnaise but we couldn't taste it. Pepper added some flavor to this bland dish. Lowell had shrimp marinated with cilantro on a bed of green lentils and fois gras sauce. We could not taste the cilantro or the foie gras. However, the shrimp were perfectly cooked. Entrees were also minute. The halibut was boring with oyster mushrooms, prosciutto, and braised romaine lettuce. Again--no flavors. The monkfish was the best of the four dishes we tried but by no means worth ordering again. It came cinnamon crusted surrounded by a mushroom ragout, roasted garlic mashed potatoes and a red wine glaze. The portion of potatoes was three times the size of the fish. On this dish I could taste the cinnamon and thought the red wine glaze was delicious.

We opted for a cheese course for dessert. When we asked the waitress what cheeses were on the menu she told us Swiss and four French cheeses! We each had a tiny taste of each cheese and although the cheese was served cold we liked this course the best. However we had to ask twice for some bread for our cheese. Also, when we were first seated a roll was placed on our bread plate and never replaced. $92 with tax and tip; BYO. Phone: 732-530-3338.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

We go there probably once a month or so (we live in town). We love it. Best dishes are definitely seared scallops and duck breast salad (both appetizers), and for entrees the monkfish and grouper (best fish dish I think) and especially the pork tenderloin (I love this dish). For a little while they were doing a duck breast spring roll appetizer which was memorable, but I am not sure if it is currently on the menu.

Unfortunately the best dessert, pineapple rice pudding in phyllo parcel, has only been available on two occasions, but if its there you should try it.

The atmosphere is quite subdued, given the confines of the room. Service is professional and without fanfare. It is BYO and there is a liquor store in the small shopping center across the street if you forget.

The only downside is the lack of waiting space if you can't get seated immediately (no reservations for parties less than 6). To combat this, I would plan on eating between 6-7 when it is least crowded.

Like I say, we absolutely love this place and agree with all of the reviews it has received in the press, this forum being the only spot I have seen it get a less than stellar review.

Edited by Taboni (log)

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

• 1 month later...