• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yemenite Meat Soup

DanM

I need help. My wife fell in love with a Yemenite meat soup while in Jerusalem last week. It was pretty spectacular. All I  can say about the soup is that it had a brownish red broth with a thick and heavy body, heavily spiced, and with large chunks of meat. There were no veg or other ingredients besides the meat in the broth. Any idea what type of soup this is?

Thanks!

IMG_20191230_233421.jpg

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

If you added beets to the Yemenite Beef Soup cited above you would indeed have a very good Yemenite Borscht. All the main ingredients for borscht are there, like the short ribs, marrow bones and potatoes, and the Yemenite spice mix Hawaij. Just wanting for the beets. Delicious, I would think!

• Like 1

Being vegetarian, I haven't had this soup myself,but it is quite common in Israel now days. It's called Yemani beef soup, or often leg soup, as it's made with leg bones.

You want a decent amount of bones and marrow, some cubes of stewing beef cuts, tomatoes, paprika and Hawaij. The links above seem good, if a bit complicated, this is a simple hearty soup.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

~ Shai N.

Ohhhh. Your wife has great taste. But how did you come across this famous Yemeni dish?

The name of the dish is Saltah Fahsa and is one of my favourite Yemeni dishes. It does come in different concoctions and the way to eat it is with Yemeni Malawah bread dunked in the soup with fishing the shredded meat. So spicy and comforting.

I have posted pictures sometime ago and here are some from the web:

- Malawah Yemeni bread

klhuFC9.jpg

- Saltah Fahsa

k8csmMt.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, gfweb said:

You can buy Knorr demiglace here in  the  stores.  Too salty to use.

And I like salt

Sure, it’s an international product (though it might have some minor variations). Although when living in Japan I bought a lot of it, as Japanese “demiglace” was nowhere meaty enough and oddly sweet.

Fully agree on the salt issue - and don’t get me started on the tomato powder). Hence the disclaimer on the substitution. I think if you properly brown your meat and simmer on the bone with tomato/garlic purée it should come out just fine ...

• Like 1