• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

XMAS over so it must be Easter

Bernie

Well on Monday 30-12-2019 we received an ALDI catalogue (more junk mail).

Big news! Hot Cross Buns are for sale.

When I was a kid, traditionally Hot Cross Buns (or Easter Buns as the politically correct agnostics among us call them) went on sale about a week or so before Easter, you know fasting for lent and all that.

Their sale has been getting earlier and earlier, but come on guys not till after the new year at least.

And stop selling CHOCOLATE chip Hot Cross Buns or Peanut Hot Cross Buns or mixed nuts Hot Cross Buns.

We had the GFC to tell the bankers to at least take their greed off the front page.

What sort of crisis do we have to have to get Hot Cross Buns back to even a modicum of decorum. Perhaps a public flogging or 2 of grocery chain bakers?

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

I've noticed this past couple of years that the supermarkets are turning 'em out for all of the holidays. That may be just a regional thing, I don't know, but it's consistent with the trend of pushing turkey and ham at every holiday as well.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Here it is turkey for thanksgiving, beef roast for Christmas, and ham for Easter. Never seen the buns really pushed. - sound like the horror that occurred with bagels. Green for St Pats - eewww   Now it is the red explosion for Valentines which will push cheap champagne and lobster tails. (last happens for New Years Eve as well) Then it is on to massive discounts for all things "diet" - esp frozen meals...

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, same here. And gardening stuff going out on the shelves.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I bought my first bag of Brach's Valentine Conversation Hearts of the season today -- and likely my last. They've changed them.

At first I thought it was just the appearance; they're now made with a raised edge and raised type for the slogan, as opposed to flat all the way across with the stamped-on slogan. That's bad enough; if the old style was good enough for the 60 years I can remember them, why change? But they went and messed with the flavor, as well.

If Brach's changes the formulation for its Hide-And-Seek candy coated Easter eggs, I will be picketing the factory.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I bought my first bag of Brach's Valentine Conversation Hearts of the season today -- and likely my last. They've changed them.

At first I thought it was just the appearance; they're now made with a raised edge and raised type for the slogan, as opposed to flat all the way across with the stamped-on slogan. That's bad enough; if the old style was good enough for the 60 years I can remember them, why change? But they went and messed with the flavor, as well.

If Brach's changes the formulation for its Hide-And-Seek candy coated Easter eggs, I will be picketing the factory.

I was going to say the Valentines candy and pink cookies are out. I hate it when they change a favourite candy. I remember Brachs from when we used to camp in Maine. The camp store had a display of them. Yum.

Update: Today, I found the "old" kind of Brach's conversation hearts. As they taste fresh and are not tooth-shatteringly hard, I'm presuming they are this year's and Brach's is just making two different kinds.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com