• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Well, I managed to cook myself something without maiming myself.

Not exactly the original plan, but hey ho! Spicy shrimp with linguine.

20200327_184013.thumb.jpg.490bc8cf3329f5fee928765e50a5ed3c.jpg

20200327_184019.thumb.jpg.986d56d91e7bff830ffd748f1f5a7ae3.jpg

Unfortunately, the shrimp are not the larger wild live ones I usually buy, but frozen from the supermarket. Good seafood seems to be the only casualty of the situation here. Not a clam to be found anywhere.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Unfortunately, the shrimp are not the larger wild live ones I usually buy, but frozen from the supermarket.

Since that is the best I can ever hope to get it makes your dinner much more likely to be an inspiration. You must really miss your fresh seafood. Of course you can manage without but that’s not the point.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Speaking about fresh seafood - I am curious...

I am headed to the seafood market today as we need fish (and I want to freeze some)!

I am contemplating buying a large amount of live clams - I would like to preserve them - the question is...

- Do I freeze them on a sheet tray alive - in shell, and use in future dishes from frozen?

or

- Do I quickly cook them in a bit of butter/garlic and then place in jars, top with olive oil and freeze?

Which would offer the best result (not looking for long term storage, just the best tasting product from frozen)?

38 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I am headed to the seafood market today as we need fish (and I want to freeze some)!

I am contemplating buying a large amount of live clams - I would like to preserve them - the question is...

- Do I freeze them on a sheet tray alive - in shell, and use in future dishes from frozen?

or

- Do I quickly cook them in a bit of butter/garlic and then place in jars, top with olive oil and freeze?

Which would offer the best result (not looking for long term storage, just the best tasting product from frozen)?

Sorry. No idea. I always cook them live.

13 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Sorry. No idea. I always cook them live.

I do too - but I want to reduce trips to the market under current circumstances, figured someone might have some experience / knowledge on the topic!

dinner at home..again. this time a Marcella Hazan recipe of pasta with tuna sauce. It is an uncooked sauce. finely chopped garlic, a can of tuna grained, one raw egg, 1/2c heavy cream and 3-4 tbl freshly grated parmesan. chopped parsley. with a Fontsainte Corbieres Gris de Gris rose

IMG_4124.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

or

i have successfully frozen clams.  I steam them open, shuck, and cover them in the cooking liquid then freeze.  They are goo for things like clam pizza, linguini and clams etc.

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fixed up some Rao’s spaghetti sauce and salad:

IMG_1639.thumb.jpg.e0c4e3d60b860b83d0ed8f825e173d45.jpg

Added onions, red wine, ground beef, garlic, Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset herb blend and piled it up with some Mozzarella and Parm.  Wish I had some of @Shelby's homemade pasta to go with it.  Which is actually a ridiculous thing to say because I have a pasta machine in my closet that I bought at least 8 years ago that has never been out of it's box and now is exactly the right time to get it out and play around with it.  Sigh.  

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Fixed up some Rao’s spaghetti sauce and salad:

IMG_1639.thumb.jpg.e0c4e3d60b860b83d0ed8f825e173d45.jpg

Added onions, red wine, ground beef, garlic, Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset herb blend and piled it up with some Mozzarella and Parm.  Wish I had some of @Shelby's homemade pasta to go with it.  Which is actually a ridiculous thing to say because I have a pasta machine in my closet that I bought at least 8 years ago that has never been out of it's box and now is exactly the right time to get it out and play around with it.  Sigh.  

Get it out.  I promise, it's easier than you think.  And it's so good.  And like you said, it's a perfect time to mess around in the kitchen.  

• Like 5

This is an easy recipe for lasagne using ingredients from the supermarket.  Perfect for making with the family and it feeds many.  Now I do make a homemade lasagne based on a 1966 recipe from Italy, but that takes time and many more steps.  For now, I think this will suit just fine.  

Weeknight Ravioli Lasagne.JPG

Ingredients-

1 lb. lean ground beef chuck

1 tbsp. olive oil

2 tsp. dried basil

2 tsp. dried oregano

1/2 tsp. dried chile flakes

1 tsp. garlic powder

Salt and pepper

12 oz. chopped frozen spinach

1 28oz. jar fire-roasted tomato and garlic pasta sauce

1 25oz. package frozen beef or sausage ravioli

1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese

3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Instructions-

Heat the oven to 400.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the olive oil, then the ground beef.  Cook the meat until it's done, then drain off the fat and juices.  Season the beef with the basil, oregano, chile flakes, garlic powder and salt and pepper.

Place the spinach in a colander and run water over it to thaw.  Use your hands to squeeze out as much water from the spinach as you can.

In a deep rectangular baking pan, spoon a layer of pasta sauce over the bottom.  then add a single layer of the ravioli.  It takes about 8-9 ravioli to make a layer in a 3 quart baking pan.  Add a layer of the ground beef.  Add some of the chopped spinach. Add spoonfuls of the cottage cheese.  Add a layer of the mozzarella.

Repeat the layers-pasta sauce, ravioli, ground beef, spinach, cottage cheese and a final layer of mozzarella.

Cover the baking pan with foil and bake the lasagne for 40-45 minutes.

Remove the foil, turn the oven to broil, and broil the top of the lasagne until the cheese is bubbling hot. Bring the lasagne out of the oven and let it sit for 8-10 minutes before cutting into squares.

Turn up the broiler the last few minutes of baking time in the oven to get the cheese bubbling and some bits of crispy char. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

22 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Corned beef, cabbage, carrots and potatoes.  A little late for St. Patty's day, but...

Had mine late, as well. It was a case of #FirstWorldProblems. I only have my small freezer atop my refrigerator. I bought two Corned Beefs, planning to cook one and freeze the other. But didn't have the room due to a small Prime Rib roast from Xmas in the freezer.

So for St. Patrick's Day, I had Prime Rib and the fixin's (with my rub concoction and Martha Stewart's oven times and temps). It was superb. Once the Prime Rib was out of the freezer, I put one of the corned beefs inside.

This past Sunday I finally made the other corned beef in my slow cooker served along with potatoes and carrots, No cabbage because Walmart had jacked up the price to $1.57/lb, the rat bastards! >:(

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Dinner...

Chuck03282020.png

Twice ground chuck.

Dinner03282020.png

Candele sugo alla Bolognese.  Forgive lack of intermediate images.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

My new favorite  veg-- we just steam and lemon juice    Chinese cauliflower

What is Chinese cauliflower?

Seems to be some cauliflower / broccoli cross.

I've never see it in a quarter of a century in China! It's Japanese, apparently.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

My husband misses the Pub. It really is the only social outlet for many rural men. He really wants a Parmy, but I am suffering from anxiety driven ICBFitus so he got wedges with sour cream and sweet chilli - a much easier pub staple. 

Made in the Air frier I just got gifted 🙂

20200328_200917.thumb.jpg.57c884a6edea913ec06b0e37aead983e.jpg

Slang decoder: Parmy = Fried chicken Snitz topped with ham, tomato based sauce & cheese. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Well thanks for the translation, but what is a Snitz? 😁

Look if you can pull strings with the powers that be to get me mobile user spell check 😂 

It's a Chicken 'Schnitzel', according to Google. I knew snitzel was wrong and Schnitzel looks wrong to my eyes!! 😂

• Haha 5