Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020


JoNorvelleWalker
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, TdeV said:

@shain, both dishes look delicious! Could you please provide a recipe for Balmos, plus an explanation of what makes the bean dish Romanian? Thanks in advance.

 

Thanks.

The beans are "Romanian" because they are based on a the Romanian dish Fasole batuta, which is a spread/dip made of pureed beans topped with the same mixture of caramelized onions, paprika, and a little tomato paste.

The balmos recipe:

 

  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

Not really.  I find most capers very similar 

Big differences to be found!

 

Be it salt packed/brine vs vinegar - young small capers vs. large (some over an inch!) caper berries - with multitudes of sizes and textures in between

 

I prefer small'ish vinegar'd capers.  But the large berries on the stem are a nice treat at times in salads.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Big differences to be found!

 

Be it salt packed/brine vs vinegar - young small capers vs. large (some over an inch!) caper berries - with multitudes of sizes and textures in between

 

I prefer small'ish vinegar'd capers.  But the large berries on the stem are a nice treat at times in salads.

 

 

 

Agreed, I was commenting on the typical small jared capers in liquid brine found in most grocery stores 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2020 at 2:39 PM, liamsaunt said:

 

I usually add it towards the end of cooking.  A couple of weeks ago I made a coconut curry hake dish, and the soup base had to sit for almost two hours after I put the coconut milk in due to an unforeseen issue.  I ended up having to strain the broth into a fat separator because the coconut oil separated from the broth and there was a thick layer of oil on top of the soup.  Not very appealing!  Of course, then the resulting mostly defatted broth was not as rich as I would have liked.  I think if you add the coconut milk towards the end, it does not have time to separate so you get that nice rich mouthfeel.  

 

I cook coconut milk based curries and soups often. I had always used Goya coconut milk, and in the last few months I've noticed a lot of separation which was not a problem for me previously. I switched to Iberia brand and haven't had the problem since. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Not really.  I find most capers very similar 

 

I've had some pretty horrible tasting capers, but of course can't remember which brands are best. My partner doesn't care for them too much. At our farmer's market a stall was selling capers and also dried, ground caper berries so I could disguise them by coating salmon in the ground capers and broiling. Turned out really well, IMO.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, haresfur said:

 

I've had some pretty horrible tasting capers, but of course can't remember which brands are best. My partner doesn't care for them too much. At our farmer's market a stall was selling capers and also dried, ground caper berries so I could disguise them by coating salmon in the ground capers and broiling. Turned out really well, IMO.

 

I am more a fan of "poor man's capers"  I pickle our nasturtium seeds.  https://www.gardenbetty.com/poor-mans-capers-pickled-nasturtium-pods/

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been so busy and tired lately and cooking has become a chore not a love.

 

Little Dude reached level 7 the other day, and I told him he could have whatever he wanted in the world for dinner (because it was 99.99% going to be Pizza that I could pick up on the way home from work. Happy Kid, Happy Mum). 

 

He went for the 0.01%. 🤦‍♀️

And a Promise is a Promise.

 

20200222_193143.thumb.jpg.d14b688cb928fda533187af468ec111e.jpg

 

And while Grilled Cheese, Grapes, M&Ms and Haribo isn't exactly an effort filled "dinner" to prep, I did have to go grocery shopping for ALL of the ingredients. 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I have been so busy and tired lately and cooking has become a chore not a love.

Little Dude reached level 7 the other day, and I told him he could have whatever he wanted in the world for dinner (because it was 99.99% going to be Pizza that I could pick up on the way home from work. Happy Kid, Happy Mum). 

He went for the 0.01%. 🤦‍♀️

And a Promise is a Promise.

And while Grilled Cheese, Grapes, M&Ms and Haribo isn't exactly an effort filled "dinner" to prep, I did have to go grocery shopping for ALL of the ingredients. 

 

 

No idea what Level 7 is and sis is on VA2 so can't ask. BUT Haribo I know - kinda on the same plane for us back then as finding a new Hi-Chew flavor. Beautiful plate and expertly done sandwich! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nicolai said:

A short cut for dinner.

 

One main and one Dessert.

Shall I see if I can organize a CARE package for you?

  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Nicolai One of my favorite visuals is walking in to a Mexican diner type place at lunch and seeing the guys joyfully picking at a whole fried fish. Beer and tortillas/salsa of course on the table but the shared "feeding experience" and the grins - priceless. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...