• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Meat & 4 Veg. 

Rib & Duck Fat Roasties. The ends of 2 bags of frozen veg, and a carrot. 

20200807_194801.thumb.jpg.aab8a35cf4b9047b513a13b38e1cafe9.jpg

Luckily I have a husband who will eat from Moo to Jerky - my steak cooking is inconsistent to say the least. 

Did ok today. 

20200807_194826.thumb.jpg.507ab1a2a90f54401424ec29c7b732f4.jpg 

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

11 hours ago, shain said:

Regarding the freezing or other parts? I do take care that when I make traditional Italian dishes, to respect their traditional flavors and spirit. I do however, allow myself to experiment with techniques and innovative cooking methods. In this case, I can assure that no damage is done to the basil flavor when frozen for an hour.

They just flipped to their other sides!

I, too, often freeze pesto in individual batches, but without the cheese added, which I prefer to do à la minute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@TdeV 

how was the Veal ?

ws ut wort it and would you do it again that way ?

For me it was too rare, I think. The fat was stringy and got stuck between my teeth; at he end of dinner, I had a little pile of fat on the side (which was hard to remove). DH, on the other hand, just ate his. I also didn't like flavour of the marrow, too bloody perhaps.

Next time I will try 135°F or 137°F.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TdeV said:

For me it was too rare, I think. The fat was stringy and got stuck between my teeth; at he end of dinner, I had a little pile of fat on the side (which was hard to remove). DH, on the other hand, just ate his. I also didn't like flavour of the marrow, too bloody perhaps.

Next time I will try 135°F or 137°F.

Or maybe in a pot on top of the stove or in the oven?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My foray into Thai cooking, using any number of the recently procured ingredients...

432517165_ThaiChickencurrywitheggplantandcarrots08-04.jpeg.d537be1164d171906ab99773c6a3b018.jpeg

Looked absolutely disgusting, but tasted much better than its appearance might make you think.

I defrosted the wrong chicken thighs for the dish; I wanted boneless, but instead got 3 bone-in D'artagnan Green Circle thighs. Which are great, just not necessarily perfect for the above Thai chicken curry with eggplant, carrots and onions.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Or maybe in a pot on top of the stove or in the oven?

re veal shank, totally agree.    Low and slow stovetop or oven until close to falling off bone.     Fat will disappear deliciously into the sauce, meat will melt in your mouth.   

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

My foray into Thai cooking, using any number of the recently procured ingredients...

Looked absolutely disgusting, but tasted much better than its appearance might make you think.

I defrosted the wrong chicken thighs for the dish; I wanted boneless, but instead got 3 bone-in D'artagnan Green Circle thighs. Which are great, just not necessarily perfect for the above Thai chicken curry with eggplant, carrots and onions.

Just the 2 of you right? Just pick up the pieces and then lick your fingers thus wasting none of the tasty sauce ;)

1 minute ago, heidih said:

Just the 2 of you right? Just pick up the pieces and then lick your fingers thus wasting none of the tasty sauce ;)

Oh yeah - we did. If you look closely, you can see that I tried to cut the thighs into 2 pieces, through the bone with a poultry shear. I did it leaning into the sink, as I didn't want to mess up a cutting board again, and it didn't exactly work.

I have to say the sauce was pretty good, but I think nicer would be to serve the rice separately in a rice bowl.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

9 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Oh yeah - we did. If you look closely, you can see that I tried to cut the thighs into 2 pieces, through the bone with a poultry shear. I did it leaning into the sink, as I didn't want to mess up a cutting board again, and it didn't exactly work.

I have to say the sauce was pretty good, but I think nicer would be to serve the rice separately in a rice bowl.

I am on that page. I prefer the rice "non gloppy"  Are you playing with sticky rice? Then ya gotta buy one of the attractive baskets :)

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

I am on that page. I prefer the rice "non gloppy"  Are you playing with sticky rice? Then ya gotta buy one of the attractive baskets :)

No, not yet.  Classic jasmine rice. And next time, it'll be alongside. Probably a good way to use a ton of vegetables is making that curry sans meat. Can tofu go in?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@weinoo   Confused.    I regularly bone out chicken thighs (either tossing skin and bones or saving for stock) because I prefer to have more "virgin" meat, i.e., not previously handled or exposed to the environment.    

I made a version of that dish last week.    Absolutely divine sauce, but between spicing and richness (of course, not that I had seconds), i had one of my every-five-years acid attacks afterwards.

eGullet member #80.

Look at these cute little baby bok choy  :) 

thumbnail_IMG_8071.jpg.56f86b17c7f90cd7bda215e523b803be.jpg

Done in the IP with some soy, ginger, garlic and sesame oil

thumbnail_IMG_8074.jpg.1ba7a097754fdb7db4339d3452a1ad89.jpg

Made some egg rolls and pork belly.  Also made some sushi.  Out of that fake crab--I like it, it's not crab but

it's still good.  It was too ugly to post here.  Embarrassingly so.  But oh it was good.  I used cucumbers from the garden, mixed the crab with cream cheese.  I usually hate cucumbers in sushi because they are slimy and taste bad.  These were SO good.

thumbnail_IMG_8075.jpg.283b3309be3ae7f466b6bdeede9910e2.jpg

Some catfish were caught yesterday so fish for dinner last night

thumbnail_IMG_8076.jpg.6bf445eac1a1043d27bbd39ac9f170be.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

4 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

@weinoo   Confused.    I regularly bone out chicken thighs (either tossing skin and bones or saving for stock) because I prefer to have more "virgin" meat, i.e., not previously handled or exposed to the environment.    

I made a version of that dish last week.    Absolutely divine sauce, but between spicing and richness (of course, not that I had seconds), i had one of my every-five-years acid attacks afterwards.

Believe me, I'm confused too. But I will buy high-quality boneless thighs when necessary...from the freezer to supper then takes not much longer than if I were using fresh thighs.

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Look at these cute little baby bok choy  :) 

Done in the IP with some soy, ginger, garlic and sesame oil

Also made some sushi.  Out of that fake crab--I like it, it's not crab but it's still good.  It was too ugly to post here.  Embarrassingly so.  

Oh, I'm sure they looked fine.

Bok choy in the IP - what'd that take, like 30 seconds?

I think we're all becoming Asian cooks!

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

29 minutes ago, weinoo said:

No, not yet.  Classic jasmine rice. And next time, it'll be alongside. Probably a good way to use a ton of vegetables is making that curry sans meat. Can tofu go in?

I am not rule oriented about anything (says the lawyer). I've done plain tofu or crisped up under the broiler for textural variation. 

@weinoo If doing sticky rice, you could probably do it really well in teh CSO... I haven't tried it yet, but plan on it soon (I always forget to start soaking it the night before!), but in general, sticky rice is steamed, not boiled.... no woven basket required!

• Like 1

Just now, KennethT said:

@weinoo If doing sticky rice, you could probably do it really well in teh CSO... I haven't tried it yet, but plan on it soon (I always forget to start soaking it the night before!), but in general, sticky rice is steamed, not boiled.... no woven basket required!

I thought the basket was a table service add on

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

I ahve a heavy pan - it takes a minute or two just to get it hot... ;)

I meant cooking time. 

That said, that's not what anyone here calls “baby bok choy”. it's Shanghai bok choy or, more commonly, Shanghai greens. Baby bok choy is something else.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Back on semi-regular food.  I say "semi" because I still have to avoid anything "stringy" that will get caught between the teeth.  So beef and pork are still out (unless it's ground).  Spaghetti with my chunky red sauce, along with Mexican Gray Squash.

red-sauce-squash.thumb.jpg.2ca15acb13471ec8c56bac055365e1f7.jpg

• Like 13

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs