• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

6 hours ago, chromedome said:

In most of those applications, they do indeed get plump and tender.

Puddings, porridges, it doesn't matter how the raisins plump in them because they have enough moisture to do the job. But if you put dry raisins in baked goods the moisture that is used to plump the raisins has to come out of the final product and can cause it to be dry. I always have a jar of raisins in the refrigerator covered with rum. Then when I put them in baked goods they are preplumped and delicious.

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

Dried cherries, yes. Dried cranberries, yes. Dried barberries, yes yes yes. But perhaps due to overexposure in childhood, I flinch at raisins now. The broccoli salad I made today has barberries in place of raisins, and we'll love it.

...and so we did. Here's an excerpt from dinner. 

20200525_213449.jpg

The rest of the dinner wasn't photographed / snapped. Corn on the cob (too early in the season, I think) and oven-baked breaded pork steak: tasty but tough, probably a sign of the times.

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, chromedome said:

I invariably put them in my oatmeal, my rice pudding and my bread pudding. Also my butter tarts, and sometimes I'll add raisins and walnuts to an apple strudel or apple pie.

In most of those applications, they do indeed get plump and tender.

Listen, im still willing to be friends just a long as we lay down parameters.. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Haha 3

Aunts in isolation... We were invited over.. we brought the tiramisu, i made sichuan cucumber thing, we brought a cheese from Churchtown Dairy.. It was a really gooey camembert style cheese.  We also brought croutons for cheese and also potato salad  and beet salad ... More birthday celebration... The host threw the burgers on the grill and walked away, i flipped them after 4 minutes and my time on the grill began.  They were small so we did 4 and 3..  They came back with about a minute left after the flip.  The cheese was down and buns were  toasting.  

A lot of meat consumption.. we are back in brooklyn and the wife and I during our ride home spoke of a no carb vegan, alcohol free diet.    I think I am going on a three day fast tomorrow.. it's been a lot lately.  Coming back to an empty fridge and no food in the house, outside of that huge freezer full of meat.   Might be a good time to go vegan for a bit.  

49937271807_b3e1fcb66b_z.jpg

The dogs were nathans. 

49936968281_a0557fdd35_z.jpg

The other day i was driving around this small town trying to find my mother in law flowers for her birthday... three places in town, i parked in front of called and they had none.. So, i was just about to give up when i passed this place called, sour flower, or flowerkraut, or something like that.. Well, they have flowers and sourkraut.. so, i asked for the kraut that started it all and they suggested the original.. it has salt, cabbage and that's it.. Well, in addition to flowers, i purchased this.. we tried it on the hot dogs and it was fantastic..  really just salt and cabbage and it felt healthy and well fermented.  Which reminds me I should have made my own kraut during the pandemic. 

My hot dog was topped with raw onions, mustard and kraut.  I can't remember the last time I ate a hot dog.. it must have been at least 6 months.  I was happy. 

49936478668_a145d5d74b_z.jpg

thick cuts of this beautiful rye bread with lots of olive oil roasted at 400 for longer than you would think

49936454583_a6db2c5b0b_z.jpg

Golden beets... I essentially wrap in foil with a bit of olive oil.  Then smoke and cook until a long skewer goes all the way through with just some resistance.  I use to prick the beets when roasting  hot in the oven but, i don't when cooking slow. 

49937271282_7521d577ed_z.jpg

We sat in the garden and then at this adorable table:

49937272027_4e194c2374_z.jpg

put the boy up on the wall next to his mother:

49936992511_56085740c2_z.jpg

was slowing driving today and noticed a dear on the side of the road.. I stopped the car, rolled down the window, put it in park and sat there for like 5 minutes talking to it.. he was just staring at me, maybe 12 feet away.. 

49936992506_6c19ea8233_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 12

15 hours ago, heidih said:

Is the squash pickled from raw?  Overview of method?

It's more like a short quick-pickling. Cooked first, then add some ground fenugreek, crumbled dried red chile, onion powder, turmeric,sugar,  amchur, and a splash of sherry vinegar, then let sit for a couple of hours 

• Like 1

Scored myself some beautiful, large, live, wild caught shrimp. Cooked with a lemon (zest and juice), olive oil, garlic, ginger and chilli sauce. Served with tagliatelli. Finished with black pepper (freshly ground, of course!)

20200526_190138.thumb.jpg.b49d01950007777e3ee913464eec49a6.jpg

20200526_192932.thumb.jpg.f35502f832defaac83ca3a4260d22ef8.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Day before yesterday, my son and the back yard neighbors were texting and they mentioned they were going to BBQ ribs on Monday.  Charlie said he found a Korean recipe for ribs that we really liked.  They asked him if I could make it and he said yes.  They were spare ribs and I trimmed them into St. Louis ribs, then got a second slab of St. Louis ribs to make sure there would be enough and marinated them overnight.  I also made creamed corn.  The picture was taken inside before I knew they were planning to have it outside.  The outside picture is our patio before they swept up all (OK some of) the debris from the Locust tree above us.  They brought potato salad, red white and blue tossed salad and a mixed fruit cobbler and vanilla ice cream.

20200525_165846.jpg

20200525_104007.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 14

Memorial day

Borrowed a little electric smoker from my cousin nearby.

Loaded it with cherry chunks.

Cooked ribs approx 4 hours and added chicken wings for the last 2 hours.

Served with homemade creamy cole slaw and new potato salads- no photos

IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_0995 2.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Steelhead fillets - s&p, paprika, baste of stone ground mustard, evoo, lemon juice - baked in bbq with a packet of mesquite for added value.

(Not pictured; watermelon margaritas, corn, scallion bacon quiche, dogs, burgers topped w house made kimchi, quinoa salad, asian noodle salad, blueberry pecan cake, chocolate whoopie pie cookies stuffed w canoli cream and pignoli cookies - all baking on premise courtesy other half. 

trout1.thumb.jpg.9d99b4228b1cb0042c8ec20a622c4e32.jpg

trout2.thumb.jpg.977039b7cffea0d7a25bea30190da551.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

That wasn't chicken

1 hour ago, Eatmywords said:

Steelhead fillets - s&p, paprika, baste of stone ground mustard, evoo, lemon juice - baked in bbq with a packet of mesquite for added value.

(Not pictured; watermelon margaritas, corn, scallion bacon quiche, dogs, burgers topped w house made kimchi, quinoa salad, asian noodle salad, blueberry pecan cake, chocolate whoopie pie cookies stuffed w canoli cream and pignoli cookies - all baking on premise courtesy other half. 

trout1.thumb.jpg.9d99b4228b1cb0042c8ec20a622c4e32.jpg

trout2.thumb.jpg.977039b7cffea0d7a25bea30190da551.jpg

Very Nice!!

Its good to have Morels

Burger (actually half beef, half puree of kidney beans, artichoke, pepper, and smoked paprika) with pickles and Shake Shack style cheese sauce (made with 3/4 daiya, 1/4 cheddar). Tater tots with cheese sauce on the side.

20200525_192247.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

Quarantine cooking is getting meh.

Yup. more than 2 months of cooking every night( except when because of a badly timed Zoom thing we do freezer pizza) has gotten old. We haven't done take out.  Mostly I haven't repeated more than once exc for chili to use up leftover beef. The little garden has been a real boon. The freezer is only half empty though. NY strips are gone as are duck and goose,  but flatirons, chicken thighs and wings, short ribs,  bratwurst and Italian sausage, pork loins and tenderloins, salmon, shrimp, smoked turkey and pork, beef tenderloin butts are still available. But I'm ready to take a few days off.

• Like 8

Today was a new low for weird meals. For breakfast I had a piece of toast and a couple of fried egg whites. The reason for the egg whites was because yesterday we used four yolks to make an Atlantic Beach Pie. For lunch I had a grilled cheese sandwich and half of a mango. For cocktail hour we broke new ground and actually had a friend over. She came right back into the yard, never even going into the house, and she stayed at the opposite end of the picnic table from me and my husband. I had Bloody Marys and they had Corpse Revivers. On the table there were olives, potato chips, sliced salted kohlrabi and hand sanitizer. The snacks were eaten on separate plates, so there was no sharing from a common source. We were loopy after she left, so we totally abandoned the idea of dinner and had a slice of pie for dessert. The weather is warm and it was a treat to actually see someone we haven't seen in at least two months. I'm so used to seeing no one but my husband that it seems remarkable to actually have a live three-way cocktail hour and a REAL FRIEND. Cheers!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, scamhi said:

Memorial day

Borrowed a little electric smoker from my cousin nearby.

Loaded it with cherry chunks.

Cooked ribs approx 4 hours and added chicken wings for the last 2 hours.

Served with homemade creamy cole slaw and new potato salads- no photos

IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_0995 2.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

Cookshack.   A very well made smoker.   Not a lot of bells and whistles on that model but It does the job well.  Inspired a few knock offs.  Your Q looks delicious 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Unfortunately Egullet dosen't have the capacity to let me rename myself 'learntalotfromherecancooksometimesbutitsstilliffy' 

But damn, that'd be a great name!

• Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com