• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

13 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Steak frites: Grilled filet, triple cooked chips, truffle aioli, wedge salad. Classics are classics for a reason. Rebel agrees.

D76B1E70-DFC4-4219-88EA-0CAEA8F48768.thumb.jpeg.c360c2567b55fc06688b442a8da8c44f.jpeg

‘is Rebel the cutie-patootie Terrier I  see above?

• Like 2

I find it amazing the amount of stuff you can cram into a baked potato and it always tastes delicious.  Kind of like packing for a trip when you are only allowed one piece of luggage.  Somehow it always works...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BKEats said:

4 lb black sea bass with a dry rub.. brown sugar, cayenne,  paprika, garlic.. almost blacked... cooked with smoke on like a 500 degree oven for  30 minutes. or so. 

:

It's a beast

49899034343_ef2a02625f_c.jpg

There's ANOTHER one glaring at you. I'd be looking over my shoulder, if I were you. Just sayin'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Well dear reader, since we last spoke, i was summoned to cook again... I was laying in bed with my child watching tv, when the committed decided they were hungry... I fortunately brought two lbs of scallops up here.. so, it was just the quick business of pan cooking 16 scallops... 3 each and well, one to test.. 

I put down on a plate the peppers that were smoked, mixed with grilled oranges and garlic... I clipped a few pieces of the grilled and smoked onions and some of the almonds.. 

49899392173_ea336c1a63_c.jpg

49899909786_eca8ffc6ef_c.jpg

49899910421_a0c1e546f1_c.jpg

I am pretty excited about this dish... i was in the grocery store today and just noticed these huge old peppers and then i knew i had to buy them... Then I sort of came up with the idea of a desconstructed romesco of sorts... really good.. the peppers, which I have a lot of, could be used for a number of things.. firstly, i have beautiful bread and some meredith farm feta.. But, it would be great with sausages, or a pork loin, or roasted chicken, or just so many things.. We will have it for a few days and I will play more with it.  But yeh, definitely a fun fish for me.  

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

7 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Steak frites: Grilled filet, triple cooked chips, truffle aioli, wedge salad. Classics are classics for a reason. Rebel agrees.

D76B1E70-DFC4-4219-88EA-0CAEA8F48768.thumb.jpeg.c360c2567b55fc06688b442a8da8c44f.jpeg

You do need to improve your photography, we can't quite read the wine bottle.

At least you have the rabbit food on a separate plate 😀

Actually, I think Rebel looks like he is about to take you on for the steak !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

Gave it a shot 😂

Roasted Prime Rib, Leek & Spinach Saute, Mashed Butternut, Red Wine Pan Sauce.

Ready

20200516_161751.thumb.jpg.fb103b8cc65ed95724dd85f21588e209.jpg

Steady

20200516_191907.thumb.jpg.ceb3c7e57ded5064cdf9119089effd2f.jpg

Go

20200516_194913.thumb.jpg.232a6259d7ad08161514be857f605160.jpg

Heaps of room for improvement but I didn't totally ruin the expensive Beef! 

Also if anyone was worried about the disruption to my regular content, my times ran over massively and the Kid had Baked Beans on Toast 🤷‍♀️

It's a thing America. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 1

Dinner from a kit last night: my first kit service, ordered from The New Scenic Cafe, a local restaurant. You can read more about the kits I ordered in this post, if you wish.  I ordered their soup and salad kit, which doesn't offer soup choices ("you just have to trust us!"). The soups were generous offerings of Indian-Spiced Tomato soup, and Creamy Red Pepper Curry soup. The salad was easily assembled, from some of the best romaine lettuce I've had in a while.

20200515_195854.jpg

At random, I picked the Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup and gave him the Creamy Red Pepper Soup. As it happened each of us preferred our own soup. What a great marriage!

20200516_073350.jpg

The bread was a couple of their sourdough buns. I should have reheated them in dry heat, I fear; the steam from the CSO seems to have toughened the crust. Flavor was good, though.

20200516_073438.jpg

Dead easy, and delicious!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Frittata with vegetables (tomatoes, pepper, spring onions, mushrooms, parsley), mozzarella, Parmesan, garlic.

Baked mashed potatoes with cheddar, malt syrup and chives.

IMG_20200508_215658.jpg

IMG_20200508_220217_1.jpg

IMG_20200508_220453.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

Dinner last night was baked cod fillet...I had planned to do panko crumbs on top and DH asked if I would try making crust out of Triscuits. I seasoned the fish, spread a little whole grain mustard on top, drizzled some avocado oil. I had crushed the crackers and mixed with some coconut oil, put them on top, and baked at 400 for around 10-12 minutes, then another 10 minutes at 425 since I had something else I had to put in the oven at the higher temp. Triscuits definitely bring the crunch!

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

34 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Triscuits definitely bring the crunch!

I keep some snack sized packages of Doritos and chips on hand just to put on the top of some casseroles that I make. It's faster than crumbs and it has crunch and flavor.

• Like 3

Smithy, I have to compliment you on your taste in flatware (maybe because we have the same yet ourselves!).   Do you know the name of the pattern, I would love to get more?

So, yeh, i woke up at 7, went for a 5 mile run... Then went to a farmers market where the guy i was trying to meet, had his truck break down.. So I arrived at 9 but, he wasn't going to be there till noon... So, abort mission... Made it back home after driving around at 11... had breakfast, then just had these ribs and a salad at 4... So, looks like another 10 pm dinner.. The ribs I had frozen a whole rack of the chinese bbq style the last time I was at my inlaws and I threw on a baby back for good luck.. ;The baby backs I made a memphis style rub accept I also added ancho chile powder.. smoked for 3 hours, started frozen, then wrapped for a couple of hours with some apple cider vinegar for the memphis, marinade for the chinese.. then grilled for 30 minutes or so... Last half our I took the dry rub for the memphis and mixed in some apple cider vinegar... for the chinese style, i mixed honey, garlic, soy, 5 spice and hoisin sauce.. mopped that on... 

Came out great, fall off the bone..   you can see this rack just fall apart when I tried to remove from the grill 

49902078748_949824a199_c.jpg

49902592746_ca437e1454_c.jpg

49902078728_f46458aaa2_c.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

Smithy, I have to compliment you on your taste in flatware (maybe because we have the same yet ourselves!).   Do you know the name of the pattern, I would love to get more?

Thank you! We got it at Williams-Sonoma a long time ago, under the pattern name "Bistro" (or maybe "Cafe"). Over time some of the handles began to crack. By then WS only carried it in obvious plastic, colors black, white, maybe blue?.... I found a replacement at Chefs Catalog a few years back. Chefs called it Bistro.

20200516_165555.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Added photo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Shrimp and grits with bacon and garlic chives.  I had to mix and match two different sizes of shrimp.  Garlic chives may be my new favorite vegetable.

AD4EC833-A93E-42D0-A264-61CBC952BA40.thumb.jpeg.69a4e0e74c64da845ccd02c8bed3fc54.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

58 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Shrimp and grits with bacon and garlic chives.  I had to mix and match two different sizes of shrimp.  Garlic chives may be my new favorite vegetable.

I love garlic chives... try a stir fry (or even better google "fry roast") with big slices of ginger and garlic chives...

• Like 1