• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@heidih and @shain – both beautiful examples of black sesame art.  We would love either one.  The three of us in my little family share a culinary peculiarity – while we love all kinds of sesame creations, we ALL detest sesame oil.

@Dejah – with the pickerel picture, I had a hard time telling which was flora and which was fauna! 😁

Dinner – Mr. Kim’s plate:

IMG_4573.jpg.2e2744330cbd2791f3eea336c1c127d7.jpg

Fruit salad, pork w/ gravy, kale from Jessica’s “Misfit” vegetable delivery (which she doesn’t seem to be able to stop – it’s like when I belonged to the Columbia Music Club in the 70s) and broccoli casserole.  My plate:

IMG_4574.thumb.jpg.0d37c0da641cf14b44ff615af57acd81.jpg

I decided to do something a little different.  I cooked some medium egg noodles and heated up some pork.  Instead of just gravy, I added some whipping cream and Dijon to it and used that.  Also, the last of the Sister Schubert rolls and some leftover celery and pimento cheese.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

590896114_Ribeyegrassfed12-28.thumb.jpeg.a4662cc7ac87dc73c6fd96cad147bcd1.jpeg

Rib eye, grass-fed NY beef (I think via Marlow and Sons, from what little I could garner). Brought home from a Cervo's market purchase, reverse seared, then pretty much slammed in the cast iron. This was fucking delicious.

Served with a baked potato (1/2), a baked sweet potato (1/2), and Brussels sprouts (many 1/2s).

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

37 minutes ago, weinoo said:

590896114_Ribeyegrassfed12-28.thumb.jpeg.a4662cc7ac87dc73c6fd96cad147bcd1.jpeg

Rib eye, grass-fed NY beef (I think via Marlow and Sons, from what little I could garner). Brought home from a Cervo's market purchase, reverse seared, then pretty much slammed in the cast iron. This was fucking delicious.

Served with a baked potato (1/2), a baked sweet potato (1/2), and Brussels sprouts (many 1/2s).

What is "reverse seared" please? This looks SO delicious! 

3 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

What is "reverse seared" please? This looks SO delicious! 

Actually...it was

42 minutes ago, weinoo said:

fucking delicious.

Probably been discussed on here somewhere, but this is how I rolled...

Kenji

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Bodega Sandwiches (lightly scrambled eggs with black pepper and swiss cheese, on kaiser rolls toasted in bacon fat), steamed corn with butter, smoked paprika, and nutritional yeast on the side.

20201229_191739.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

11 hours ago, TicTac said:

Not sure there are pickerel farms...from the minimal knowledge I have on the matter.

Not a huge market for them.  From what I gather, hatcheries that do work with them, but then are release back into the wild. 

So how does he deliver little fish then?

@Dante – your Bodega sandwich and corn look and sound delicious.  But there seems to be something besides egg or cheese peeking out from the roll.  Maybe some kind of meat?  I finished dinner about an hour ago and I’d gladly wolf down that sandwich! 😁

I used the turkey carcass from Christmas dinner to make stock and added the dark meat scraps and some egg noodles to make turkey-noodle soup.  The stock turned out really well:

IMG_4572.jpg.b326ed6619e76ab989f134c45ce83a4c.jpg

We did a porch drop for Mr. Kim’s dad and stepmom and stepsister (who are quarantining because his dad has Covid☹️).  We knew that it was unlikely they had ever seen homemade stock, so we warned them that it would look like Jello!  The container that went to Mr. Kim’s mom needed no warning – she’s been making stock longer than we’ve been alive!  So tonight was turkey noodle soup and a baguette with creamy Gorgonzola.  This cheese is like a mix of Gorgonzola and Brie.  Incredibly gooey and delicious.  They haven’t had it at Wegman’s for a long time and finally, today, it was there. 

soup.jpg.8ae877ac73a6d960c07d26886119a5d5.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

So I tried the Viral TikTok Wrap thing (which I know is probably just a common mexican way of folding a Tortilla). But I have to say my husband was very impressed and has requested all future wraps to be made like this for even ingredient distribution. 

20201229_213542.thumb.jpg.bf4137f62f0cdb56795951d414bbf144.jpg

Snip half way, fold in quarters etc. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

13 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

which she doesn’t seem to be able to stop – it’s like when I belonged to the Columbia Music Club in the 70s

Yes, but those first 11 albums were worth it!

• Haha 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@heidih and @shain – both beautiful examples of black sesame art.  We would love either one.  The three of us in my little family share a culinary peculiarity – while we love all kinds of sesame creations, we ALL detest sesame oil.

Very common I think. They are so distant in taste similarity to me. I was gifted a big tin of Kadoya brand years ago. I used it in Korean preps but that sucker took up fridge space for a long long time.

https://shop.yocupco.com/kadoya-sesame-oil-56-oz-bottle-1-case-10-bottle.html

• Like 1

Berry jam fried chicken on a cornmeal-scallion waffle with hot honey.  We all liked the chicken, the waffle not so much, and thought the combination of the two was kind of odd. I would make the chicken again though.  The picture makes it look darker than it was.  Here is a link to that recipe:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021444-berry-jam-fried-chicken?action=click&module=Local Search Recipe Card&pgType=search&rank=1

1885773222_chickenandwaffles.thumb.jpg.41fd5504bbb51c770494cf9c34010c70.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

10 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Berry jam fried chicken on a cornmeal-scallion waffle with hot honey.  We all liked the chicken, the waffle not so much, and thought the combination of the two was kind of odd. I would make the chicken again though.  The picture makes it look darker than it was.  

You did not like the chicken and waffle concept or the way they were flavored? Roscoe's chicken and waffles is a favorite after a night out.  https://www.roscoeschickenandwaffles.com/our-story

• Like 1

Tonight’s dinner started actually at tomorrow’s dinner: I started to make Chikuwa - Japanese fishcakes - and deviated from my usual recipe by using previously frozen fish. It should have been clear to me that this wouldn’t work, but ...

B719E3C3-B7E5-4A75-AF9F-0715351FADA0.thumb.jpeg.937b674594f5d871fd4d82f9d17265d1.jpeg

Like my professor used to say: You don’t have time to do it proper, but obviously you always have time to do it again 😶

I decided to call it a day and make some take-out style “Chinese” fried noodles. Topped with Laoganma chili crisp. Foolproof. And accompanied by a (tiny bit strong) highball ...

A077F5B1-EE3B-48F4-8785-D22E45C18E98.thumb.jpeg.1c5e1844f74d3816006bc33c4fc350b6.jpeg

All good. And when the family asked for “what’s next” I used the quart of hot oil to make some Taiwanese Night Market pork. A pound of pork neck disappeared faster than it was cooked (or photographed). Quality save 🥳

CDAEA65B-7A21-40AF-B6A2-305FF24EBED1.thumb.jpeg.14bf65f12464bebaac94da499366c519.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Tonight’s dinner started actually at tomorrow’s dinner: I started to make Chikuwa - Japanese fishcakes - and deviated from my usual recipe by using previously frozen fish. It should have been clear to me that this wouldn’t work, but ...

B719E3C3-B7E5-4A75-AF9F-0715351FADA0.thumb.jpeg.937b674594f5d871fd4d82f9d17265d1.jpeg

Like my professor used to say: You don’t have time to do it proper, but obviously you always have time to do it again 😶

I decided to call it a day and make some take-out style “Chinese” fried noodles. Topped with Laoganma chili crisp. Foolproof. And accompanied by a (tiny bit strong) highball ...

A077F5B1-EE3B-48F4-8785-D22E45C18E98.thumb.jpeg.1c5e1844f74d3816006bc33c4fc350b6.jpeg

All good. And when the family asked for “what’s next” I used the quart of hot oil to make some Taiwanese Night Market pork. A pound of pork neck disappeared faster than it was cooked (or photographed). Quality save 🥳

CDAEA65B-7A21-40AF-B6A2-305FF24EBED1.thumb.jpeg.14bf65f12464bebaac94da499366c519.jpeg

Nice save. Pork neck is under- rated in my opinion.  Wise professor ;)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I used the turkey carcass from Christmas dinner to make stock and added the dark meat scraps and some egg noodles to make turkey-noodle soup.  The stock turned out really well:

IMG_4572.jpg.b326ed6619e76ab989f134c45ce83a4c.jpg

We did a porch drop for Mr. Kim’s dad and stepmom and stepsister (who are quarantining because his dad has Covid☹️).  We knew that it was unlikely they had ever seen homemade stock, so we warned them that it would look like Jello!  The container that went to Mr. Kim’s mom needed no warning – she’s been making stock longer than we’ve been alive!  So tonight was turkey noodle soup and a baguette with creamy Gorgonzola.  This cheese is like a mix of Gorgonzola and Brie.  Incredibly gooey and delicious.  They haven’t had it at Wegman’s for a long time and finally, today, it was there. 

soup.jpg.8ae877ac73a6d960c07d26886119a5d5.jpg

This created such a craving that I pulled my packet of turkey wings from freezer, ran under water to get the stuck on packaging off, put in a wide lidded skillet with a bit of water & salt and am hoping for dfrost. Then will dry well and roast. I prefer a brown stock. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Hacking away at the eternal holiday ham, I remembered a French country classic, guaranteed a choice in village restaurants in the Yonne, northern Burgundy, jambon Chablisienne, essentially our familiar vodka sauce with Chablis subbed for vodka.    Shallot, tomato, Chablis, cream.  

1039488371_ScreenShot2020-12-30at5_45_05PM.thumb.png.dea42af36b3e4aa5266ce1665aa38098.png

• Like 10

eGullet member #80.

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Duvel why does previously frozen fish not work?

The best way I can describe it is that it doesn’t hold the water properly. During steaming, significant amounts of liquid was expelled from the fishcakes, which in return turned brittle. It is similar to a meatloaf. I should have upped the cornstarch amount and stirred the mixture for longer time to compensate and create more binding/ water retention. But ...

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Thanks 1