• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

8 minutes ago, Franci said:

Husband came home with a 5 lbs snapper, he underestimated the time needed for cooking, once we finished all the side dishes, the fish was finally ready 😂. It was delicious but we have leftovers for lunch 😁

98237A1D-AE7A-4685-806E-134D6910509E.jpeg

CC52ADE1-4903-4556-A9C0-33E232274596.jpeg

Oh my that is a beautiful fellow

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, patti said:

ETA: With all the talk of beets, no one mentioned pickled beets. I love those!

Oh yes! Always have some going in the fridge. I grew up with the supermarket ones in the jar. I do love a raw shredded beet salad with young-uns or roasted beet salad w/ feta and such but knowing I have my pickled ones gives a sense of comfort in Pandemic times ;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shain said:

, blue cheese, apples,

Just...no, @shain. It's pizza not dessert!

65355519_Pastawithchickenfetaolives12-17.thumb.jpeg.fba89f2e98af07e023dac5733a4697db.jpeg

Clean up the fridge pasta. With chicken, feta, olives, tomatoes, basil, etc. etc.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

57 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Just...no, @shain. It's pizza not dessert!

Firstly, I do like dessert pizzas (I often make one with ricotta, mozzarella and figs, as well as one with peaches, cream, fresh mozzarella and basil). They make a wonderful dessert.

However, this pizza is nothing dessert like, I use tart granny smith apples which lends fruity tartness and mild sweetness, both goes well with blue cheese. Putting caramelized onions on there (for example) would have been much sweeter, but not considered dessert like. It's the association of apples to dessert which makes it seem as such, not the necessarily the flavor. There are many such examples - beans made into (delicious) anko paste, avocado is made into shakes, lard used in sweet pastry, chocolate and cookies added to mole, fruit preserves and sauces served with meat and poultry, chicken is coated in caramel sauce.

Also, I took the idea from a small local pizzeria in Northern Italy, so I have the approval of at least some Italians :P 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 5

~ Shai N.

21 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@liamsaunt – thank you for the directions.  That is definitely something that will go over well here!  One additional question: how many servings of fish for the recipe?

Four servings.

Last night, herb roasted chicken served with gravy, mashed potatoes and more of the endless carrots from my CSA

1792703997_herbroastedchicken.thumb.jpg.d5c9dac284ed91cbd5bd9e45e7e28726.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

@shain – gorgeous color on that crust!

@Ann_T – the fish and lobster are gorgeous!  We just received lobster tails for Christmas.  Could you please tell me the temp and time for the CSO? 

@liamsaunt – thank you for the information.  I am looking forward to making the fish!  And that is one beautiful chicken.  I’m afraid if I was alone in the kitchen with it, I’d peel off ever inch of that skin😁.

Dinner last night was something we saw Molly Yeh make on Food Network.  It started with meatballs:

IMG_4327.jpg.f2572dd7846f63e5dbdfbdf79f6b54d2.jpg

It called for pork only, but I happened to have some already mixed beef and pork for meatloaf in the freezer, so I used that.  I also baked the meatballs instead of frying.  I don’t get frying meatballs – messy and you end up with unevenly cooked meatballs.  More ingredients:

IMG_4328.jpg.0b96392d2135eecdac3e3951a0a5151f.jpg

Rolled out biscuit dough, some cheese and a meatball:

IMG_4329.jpg.68bdd77b08f9eeafe765cac869a20c60.jpg

Then they are wrapped up like a dumpling and fitted into a square pan:

IMG_4330.jpg.1152262275ec60f90a1ebf70e7eb2d94.jpg

When they come out, they are topped with a butter/olive oil/garlic mixture, Parmesan, and parsley and baked for another few minutes:

IMG_4333.thumb.jpg.b4c953971030ee2a87949a5fd7f27e82.jpg

Served with a side of marinara:

IMG_4335.jpg.e428ea1d42c8cde718f00e708755f756.jpg

A cross section:

IMG_4336.jpg.24fa0c2c344be770f050e6da4028fdc5.jpg

I was afraid that the bottom (where all the dough was gathered together) would be too doughy and dense, but it was fine.  These were like meatball stuffed garlic knots.  We liked this a lot.  Hoping they reheat well in the CSO.  Also some salad:

IMG_4332.thumb.jpg.8ec421c2618eef94534530187a227310.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Poached chicken, bread, romaine.  Blue cheese dressing I made a couple weeks ago.  I noticed too late the dressing had blue mold.  Same color as the cheese.  Am I in trouble?

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Poached chicken, bread, romaine.  Blue cheese dressing I made a couple weeks ago.  I noticed too late the dressing had blue mold.  Same color as the cheese.  Am I in trouble?

Let us know today.

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I bought these...

1880489560_Headonprawnsraw12-18.thumb.jpeg.a9d952329fb6ba3c7216803c5075b012.jpeg

Head on, North Carolina wild prawns at Cervo's Market. Asked chef what he felt about cooking them - they do them a la plancha at the restaurant. So...

514118559_Headonprawnsplancha12-18.thumb.jpeg.2e57950bada1348d13297a8543b17050.jpeg

A la plancha it was.

1132921128_Prawnsbakedpotato12-18.thumb.jpeg.bffb9dce39faa57af5f0fd7e44e12bc0.jpeg

Made for a nice, simple meal. Baked potato. Salad. These prawns. Oh...

1024644006_BaguetteBienCuit12-18.thumb.jpeg.deec737cb6272bc14d71d87865ee0f0e.jpeg

And a beautiful baguette from Bien Cuit. These aren't a classic French baguette (what is, unless you're, well, in France? Or @Ann_T?)  And don't tell Significant Eater, but every once in a while, the cook sneaks a snack during prep...

172970517_BaguetteBordier12-18.thumb.jpeg.d3c82724f15b9e90225d82a7510d1747.jpeg

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Doubtful. Most of the blue cheese molds are Penicillum. IIRC

• Thanks 1

Love head-on shrimp.  When I had more time, I used to get them all the time from my local H-Mart (Korean grocery).  Now that I'm strapped for time, if I make shrimp at all, it's the IQF deshelled deveined kind.  But I love using the head-on ones in curries (great for sucking the head).

Also, if you remove the heads, you can make "shrimp head fat" which was used in a bunch of some of the most well known Pad Thai places in Bangkok...  I think they actually cooked the heads in pork fat... even better...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Love head-on shrimp.  When I had more time, I used to get them all the time from my local H-Mart (Korean grocery).  Now that I'm strapped for time, if I make shrimp at all, it's the IQF deshelled deveined kind.  But I love using the head-on ones in curries (great for sucking the head).

16 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Also, if you remove the heads, you can make "shrimp head fat" which was used in a bunch of some of the most well known Pad Thai places in Bangkok...  I think they actually cooked the heads in pork fat... even better...

Next buy, my plan is to shell them and make a shrimp shell stock in which I'll poach the shrimp. Or maybe the shrimp head fat.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

58 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Not trying to 'one up you', BUT....if they are fresh (live spot prawns being a great example) I would either make a reduction similar to your suggestion, or - better yet - deep fry them and eat the whole damn things!

2 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Not trying to 'one up you', BUT....if they are fresh (live spot prawns being a great example) I would either make a reduction similar to your suggestion, or - better yet - deep fry them and eat the whole damn things!

I used to love going to this one sushi place - when you ordered the sweet shrimp (botan ebi) which are raw, they deep fried the head and served that too....  drool...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T – the fish and lobster are gorgeous!  We just received lobster tails for Christmas.  Could you please tell me the temp and time for the CSO

@Kim Shook, I used the Steam Broil setting at 500°F .  I didn't really time it.  But it was about 8 to 10 minutes.  It will depend on the size as well. These were not overly big. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

.... don't tell Significant Eater, but every once in a while, the cook sneaks a snack during prep...

172970517_BaguetteBordier12-18.thumb.jpeg.d3c82724f15b9e90225d82a7510d1747.jpeg

Tell  her you are exercising a variation of the French custom of 'le croûton' or 'le quignon', granting the bread shopper an end of the baguette to munch on his walk home.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Pasta, broccoli, cheddar cheese sauce (modernist cuisine method) with some blue cheese, mustard and chili. Semi soft eggs, crisp bread. Not a mac and cheese, I wouldn't even call it a pasta dish, rather a dish with pasta. You break down the egg and it partially blends with the sauce - so you get cheesy-eggy pasta and broccoli, and then cheese coated egg pieces to eat with the bread.

PXL_20201204_131911507.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.