• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

6 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

I don't know the exact amounts... Puree haddock flesh with eggs and some potato starch (which helps hold the shape). You can also add onions, garlic, herbs, spices et to the fish paste. Form balls and boil until they float to surface.

Thanks - I am not a recipe person and can usually take it from the outline. Potato starch has been mentioned in various contexts here recently. I need to branch out and get some to play with.

Gyudon. Used an unrolled rib eye cap; tried to slice it as thin as possible - not quite thin enough, but good and fatty and tasty. Talk about an easy dinner.

1612904476_Gyudon12-12.thumb.jpeg.e6b1d5f73dee69ccba2962e29510f226.jpeg

Along with...

655512642_Celeriacarottes12-12.thumb.jpeg.9abf11b07daf118ffc1ded0534359d77.jpeg

The two French salades made with the Moulinex, the perfect tool for the job. The nice and mayonnaise-y celeriac could almost be Japanese, though doubtful they would use as much mustard.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

10 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@patti those zucchini fries look delicious! 

Thank you. I'm back to hobbling, so my husband followed my instructions to make them. He did a good job!

@Kim ShookThank you, as well, regarding the stuffed shrimp. My first time making them, and while they were delicious, I don't know that I will make them again. I think making crab cakes and fried shrimp as two separate things is preferable.

• Like 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

@robirdstx – Mr. Kim is working from home most days.  I showed him your brisket and sausage and he thinks that we should reciprocate for the trip you made a couple of years ago so that you can show us good brisket joints! 😄

@Shelby – I’m really impressed with your gyro.  I should try to make it myself, but we are blessed with really good Greek/Middle Eastern restaurants, so I’ve never done it.  You see we got some below and it was great.  What I’d really love is a pile (at least 5 or 6😁) of those gorgeous fries beside mine.  I wish I knew someone who made stuffed cabbage.  I’ve never liked cooked cabbage (except for this non-squeeky version), but suspect I might like stuffed.  Yours looks good!

@patti – I adore anything stuffed with crabmeat and grew up eating crab stuffed shrimp whenever I found them on a menu.  That said, I haven’t ever made them myself.  Where they really fiddly?  Or did you just not find the two together as good tasting as separately?

Mr. Kim picked up dinner at a little café we love on Friday:

IMG_4266.jpg.fd6afcce4a6b1610cba9a50968a0c0ea.jpg

We shared the falafel and gyro and Mr. Kim also got a steak skewer.  Delicious, as always.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Pambazos. Crumbled tempeh flavored with browned onion, smoked paprika, chipotle, garlic, toasted spices (coriander, cumin, clove, cinnamon and some other stuff). Roasted eggplant, cabbage and lime slaw, crumbled feta, avocado, sour cream.

Served with salad and pickles. We also shared a couple of beers.

I had extra filling and sauce so I made some for lunch the next day, this time diluted the sauce a bit so that it will toast better without charring in spots, also used mushrooms instead of eggplants for some variety. No pictures of this round.

PXL_20201201_193827211.thumb.jpg.cad42edc3dd61acac9b293e9be6c10f1.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Dinner12142020.png

Dinner was a failure.  The potato and broccolini were quite good.  Not so the steak.

This was a choice rib steak I got from Shoprite.  Now that I have the APO I decided to prepare the steak "sous vide" rather than on the Philips grill.  The steak cooked for two and a half hours at 57C.  Then seared thirty seconds to a side in a hot pan.

Flavor was fine, texture was disgusting.  Fat had not melted.  Wish I had measured the temperature.  Anyhow by the time I took the picture and sat down to eat, the meat was cold.  Most unappetizing.

One trick I learned.  After blanching the broccolini I popped it in the 57C oven on paper towels.  It dried right up and made it to the table warm.

Tonight's dinner isn't shaping up so well either.  I was going to roast a chicken breast in the APO.  Amazon sent skinless breasts.  Amazon also ruined my breakfast.  I've been juicing golden beets.  Who would have guessed golden beet juice was so delightful?  Amazon sent red beets.

I'm sure red beets would juice but the kitchen would look like a crime scene.  I don't have to pay for the beets of course but I'd rather not see them go to waste.  My inclination is to roast them.  Any suggestions how to prepare a beet?

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm sure red beets would juice but the kitchen would look like a crime scene.  I don't have to pay for the beets of course but I'd rather not see them go to waste.  My inclination is to roast them.  Any suggestions how to prepare a beet?

My favorite basic prep is roasteed, skinned (rubbed off) salt, best olive oil (I like grassy), and a touch of favorite balsamic. Give a few minutes rest. No "blood" involved.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Any suggestions how to prepare a beet?

It's a known fact I am not a fan of beets. 

My suggestion would be to bury the beets in a compost heap. Back from whence they came...¬¬

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@Kim ShookFiddly is a good way to put it.  Luckily, my husband was happy to be my assistant. 

Tonight, he was more than my assistant. He made broccoli cheddar soup, under my direction. It is good!

3F086B7E-082F-45A5-A3E8-383D0ADDCCFE.jpeg.59437bf856e778246dbebf6e62211d09.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

It's a known fact I am not a fan of beets. 

My suggestion would be to bury the beets in a compost heap. Back from whence they came...¬¬

I'm right there with you, but I think they should be put in the fireplace and burned in effigy as a warning to the rest of the vile red creatures lest they cross your threshold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Purely for the record, I love beets. Totally unavailable here, so I smuggled a pack of seeds in last year to grow some on my balcony this spring.

I'm now laughing at all the people who mocked my perfectly sensible aversion to c@rn! 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I admit to not "liking" perfectly lovely dishes members post because I can see bell peppers of any color in them. We all have quirks.  @liuzhou - did you grow them as microgreens on your balcony as you might not have depth for the full root formation? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, heidih said:

I admit to not "liking" perfectly lovely dishes members post because I can see bell peppers of any color in them. We all have quirks.  @liuzhou - did you grow them as microgreens on your balcony as you might not have depth for the full root formation? 

As I said, I haven't grown them yet, but will do so in the spring. I don't foresee any problems with roots. I've grown them before successfully.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

58 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

As I said, I haven't grown them yet, but will do so in the spring. I don't foresee any problems with roots. I've grown them before successfully.

Any suggestion what I could do with mine?

Edit:  P.S. I'm envious you're allowed to grow stuff on your balcony.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou