• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

It was a pasta comfort food weekend, evidently.

IMG_2945.thumb.jpeg.d16416b1dce6c21e6cab94a5ddcf4679.jpeg

Fusilli all'Amatriciana e fagioli e chiffonade basilico. The local, heritage basil from @KennethT and the farms on E. 31st St., in Kips Bay, a historical Manhattan farmland...

The bay was named after New Netherland Dutch settler Jacobus Hendrickson Kip (1631–1690), son of Hendrick Hendricksen Kip, whose farm ran north of present-day 30th Street along the East River

Side salad.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

After eating restaurant food (take out from the hotel restaurant) for 3 days, it was great to be back in my own kitchen.

Baby back ribs, slow roasted in the oven, then slathered with Hoisin sauce and 5-spice powder, then under the broiler for a few minutes.

Eaten with wild rice and brown rice mix, and a stir-fry of cauliflower, carrots, and bell peppers.

249635967_Ovenribs2743.jpg.3a60f11db239a3db49e8b3029feb96e2.jpg

Dessert was homemade donuts and chewy ginger bread cookies from 2 neighbors!

881725849_Sweettreats.jpg.dd775fcd13b54303573a8cc53cc7bcbf.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Vegemite Cheese on Toast for my boys tonight. Think it was cheddar, moz, edam. This isn't Mum guilt worthy or my food rut. This is what you get after 3 hours on a tennis court on a 45 degree day for a school graduation/christmas concert that ends 2 hours after bedtime!! 

Gosh I miss takeaway sometimes! 

20201207_213612.thumb.jpg.91fd75f8b5ed1f09d383727e07856d58.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

In solidarity with my British friends and family back home, I made some scotch eggs as what the government, after much debate, has now decided is a "substantial meal". First I made the sausage meat from some fatty pork and spiced and seasoned it. Boiled some quail eggs. Formed the scotch eggs then panko coated them twice. Fried and put in mouth. With home-made mango relish.

I made ten altogether. Might have another in a minute.

20201207_190744.thumb.jpg.de7172697f73a235f17e2e9e0a830484.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, weinoo said:

It was a pasta comfort food weekend, evidently.

IMG_2945.thumb.jpeg.d16416b1dce6c21e6cab94a5ddcf4679.jpeg

Fusilli all'Amatriciana e fagioli e chiffonade basilico. The local, heritage basil from @KennethT and the farms on E. 31st St., in Kips Bay, a historical Manhattan farmland...

Side salad.

hyper-local!  I wish you could have had some of the basil when the plant was in its prime - leaves the size of your fist...  I think it's time to either plant another or clone the one I've got going and start over... this plant is just way too big, flowers too frequently and the leaves aren't as big and beautiful as they used to be...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, heidih said:

I think we need more detail on your mango relish.

I've been making this for years, but can't remember where the original recipe came from. I may also have adapted it slightly.

Ingredients

150g soft brown sugar

150 ml white wine vinegar

1 star anise

1/2 a red onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 thumb of ginger, chopped

1 or 2 red chillies, chopped

3-4 mangoes, chopped

1 tsp black mustard seeds

salt and pepper

Dissolve sugar in vinegar and add everything. Simmer for 25-30 minutes. Cool and keep in fridge. It keeps for months. Eat with chicken, cheese, curries, scotch eggs - pretty much anything.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

hyper-local!  I wish you could have had some of the basil when the plant was in its prime - leaves the size of your fist...  I think it's time to either plant another or clone the one I've got going and start over... this plant is just way too big, flowers too frequently and the leaves aren't as big and beautiful as they used to be...

We were always taught to cut basil flowers. They fry up nicely as  a snack. So many fun basils. I used to sell an African Blue that is sterile, smells great, and lasts forever.m Plus the Annie's catalog will make you crazy. https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=5099

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

We were always taught to cut basil flowers. They fry up nicely as  a snack. So many fun basils. I used to sell an African Blue that is sterile, smells great, and lasts forever.m Plus the Annie's catalog will make you crazy. https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=5099

I've been pinching the basil flowers for over a month!

• Haha 1

Still experimenting with some little used venison cuts while they are still fresh.

This is the thin layer of muscle that exists between the skin and carcass of animals.  It gives that striped pattern to the back of properly skinned lamb and deer carcasses but most hunter pull it off accidentally with the skin.

1488438167_File_000(6).thumb.jpeg.aaa1416598ab05bde109150e2025f426.jpeg

Slathered it with a thin layer of duxelles and thyme, salt and pepper and then rolled and tied them before searing and placing in a 450 degree oven for ten minutes.

1506851487_File_002(2).thumb.jpeg.98b4b653d53a9c3243001a20c31bbd2b.jpegFile_003.thumb.jpeg.f0e0be123b560f14901e91f5d224c9c6.jpeg

Sliced thickly and served with a port wine, venison stock and red currant jelly reduction and pomegranate seeds.  Tasted like venison and mushrooms but had a texture like very tender, thin calamari.  Interesting to say the least and I'd have to try it again with different flavourings before I could decide whether I actually like it.File_004.thumb.jpeg.97795586d66ec4d752525ee56034ae38.jpeg

Edited by sjemac (log)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

I am enjoying the education regarding the deer meat. Your explanation of the texture was excellent - gave me the picture. Do you buy the currant jelly or make it? I used to use it frequently but my local stores stopped carrying it. Know I can order but having a recommendation helps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

I am enjoying the education regarding the deer meat. Your explanation of the texture was excellent - gave me the picture. Do you buy the currant jelly or make it? I used to use it frequently but my local stores stopped carrying it. Know I can order but having a recommendation helps.

I buy it. I found a little European deli nearby that now does mail-order due to COVID and they sent me three jars of the the jelly for the same price that I can source one jar from Amazon.  Finding fringe ingredients in rural Canada is always a challenge. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 7:37 AM, scamhi said:

tomates farcie. stuffed with ground pork, parsley, thyme, grated garlic, onion, cream and flaxseed meal (instead of breadcrumbs)

chianti

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3171.JPG

Interesting. Never thought of flaxseed meal instead of breadcrumbs. How much would you use for, say, a pound of ground pork?

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Shelby – I love that you served your chili over pasta!  Mr. Kim objects, but I grew up with elbow macaroni in my chili.  I’m guessing back then it was an economy, but I still love it.  I love your cornbread, too – so nice and craggy. 

@robirdstx – love the pot pie!  I’ve got your recipe and need to make one soon!

@liamsaunt – love the Chinese food!  I made some char siu by @Dejah's recipe and am planning on a family egg roll-making session.  Hope mine look nearly as nice as yours!

I made some Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice soup last night:

IMG_4181.jpg.4eecc907dd1bbd2a5e16fad7f788a1eb.jpg

Topped with a little paprika oil.  Served with mayo/mustard slaw and crusty bread:

IMG_4183.jpg.0c49b0a58efb4dc3c2e6079e6f37a0b8.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:
Trial Run.

First pizzas out of the new Ooni Koda 16 Gas Pizza Oven.

I think there is a bit of a learning curve, but all things considered

I'm really happy with first try.

Oooh, I am jealous!  This is the only thing I asked for as a Christmas gift.  I don't think I am going to get it though.  Your pizza looks delicious!

20 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

That looks wonderful. What kind of apple do you recommend with gruyere?

I just used the apples that came in my CSA box.  I checked the listing and they are sun gold?  I have never heard of that variety before.

Tonight, pineapple fried rice and sole roll ups with a chile, cilantro, fish sauce and palm sugar sauce

1119171786_solerollups.thumb.jpg.451231dd5b889cef056668dfb4cc4257.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 3