• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@btbyrd – that cod is gorgeous.  I have miso left – hoping I can get to the seafood store soon!

@patti – thank you for your concern.  Not feeling better quite yet, but should be in a month or so. 

@liamsaunt – thanks for the response.  Mine was broiled, but maybe too far away.  I’ll try it closer next time. 

@Ann_T – Jessica walked by and saw your pizza and said, “why don’t you get her to teach you how to make pizza like that?” 😁

I wanted to quickly let everyone know the latest on my knees.  I had the MRI and doctor visit this week.  It turns out that I have a frayed meniscus, lots of swelling and arthritis, and a sprained ligament.  Treatment is gentle PT, rest, no stairs, and prescription anti-inflammatory.  No imminent surgery is the good news.  I should begin to see some improvement soon. 

Monday’s dinner was from 5 Guys:

IMG_4122.jpg.145425d3ddafd7e8ca94cda49c744970.jpg

IMG_4121.jpg.8690547d61e725cdc9f01ceba310d043.jpg

This was last night - I should note that I actually cooked this entire meal.  It was a long process and I was exhausted and sore afterwards, but I did it.  Brat sandwiches.  We got the already cooked ones this time – they are my favorites.  They all split in the pan:

IMG_4157.thumb.jpg.d2806f2142b2dda7361bcb808ac3e62d.jpg

I don’t remember that happening before. 

I am watching a LOT of Food Network on the Firestick these days and saw someone slice the sausages for sandwiches.  Looked interesting, so I decided to try it:

IMG_4161.jpg.ee8a39e422ccdd4cc9dea7e2b4f3c79a.jpg

It was a good trick!  The sandwich was much easier to eat and you got a taste of everything in each bite.  Plate:

IMG_4162.jpg.9785b0e6a4e4cc73feda096ff87e3cc5.jpg

Sliced brat with sauteed onions and kraut on a bun, Rice a Roni, and green beans with vinaigrette. 

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

With the weather cooperating a little bit more (i.e. occasionally normal temps for December 3), I start using the real oven. While I love the steam girl, it just isn't quite the same as cranking up the real thing; gas fired, convection, big so I can cook more than one thing at a time. Sometimes even (almost)  whole meal...

IMG_2926.thumb.jpeg.17958700294c2dc4961c5ae3aaa1319c.jpeg

So I roasted a couple of chicken legs, some sweet potatoes and some baby Yukon golds.The skin on the chicken was absolutely perfect; yes, even better than the CSO.  And my new method (new for me) is to slice up the Brussels sprouts, before simply sautéing them in a little butter and olive oil, with only salt and pepper. Wife said: "man, these are so sweet." With zero anything else.

• Like 14

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 minutes ago, weinoo said:

And my new method (new for me) is to slice up the Brussels sprouts, before simply sautéing them in a little butter and olive oil, with only salt and pepper. Wife said: "man, these are so sweet." With zero anything else.

As the good ones are - the skanky old ones taste like forgotten cabbage. What is with the grill hatch on the sweet potato? Messing with us?

15 minutes ago, weinoo said:

With the weather cooperating a little bit more (i.e. occasionally normal temps for December 3), I start using the real oven. While I love the steam girl, it just isn't quite the same as cranking up the real thing; gas fired, convection, big so I can cook more than one thing at a time. Sometimes even (almost)  whole meal...

IMG_2926.thumb.jpeg.17958700294c2dc4961c5ae3aaa1319c.jpeg

So I roasted a couple of chicken legs, some sweet potatoes and some baby Yukon golds.The skin on the chicken was absolutely perfect; yes, even better than the CSO.  And my new method (new for me) is to slice up the Brussels sprouts, before simply sautéing them in a little butter and olive oil, with only salt and pepper. Wife said: "man, these are so sweet." With zero anything else.

When I do Brussels sprouts, I separate them into their leaves (getting rid of the core).  I saute in a little grapeseed oil/s/p until decently browned and they get really sweet.  That's my favorite prep for them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Kim ShookIt sounds like you're on the mend and I'm glad!  I know you're relieved not to have to have surgery.  What a great idea to slice the sausages.  Totally copying you on that!

@FranciI'm always jealous of your whole fish.  Makes me hungry every time I see one that you've cooked.

Had some green beans that needed to be used so I went ahead and blanched them all to keep them good a while longer.  First way I used some--heated up in a bit of butter with pine nuts and caramelized onions

thumbnail_IMG_0205.jpg.a585474cb4475fdf379a51d53566a850.jpg

Oxtail ragu to go with

thumbnail_IMG_0206.jpg.17e5bcb251d144f55b2028003f6c61a3.jpg

Hot wings, brus. sprouts, Mac and cheese

thumbnail_IMG_0207.jpg.4dca704350568d452fedd166ffd21cc6.jpg

Venison chili and cornbread

thumbnail_IMG_0208.jpg.b94e298b498855bf0c7d91446e876f8f.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0209.jpg.60c370f3d4444cbc67c890cdd77fc641.jpg

Pepperoni and Canadian bacon with the last of the green beans--this time tossed with some balsamic vinegar, parm. cheese and diced onions

thumbnail_IMG_0213.jpg.1ae86caeee91371f1d536e7cf35315ee.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0214.jpg.84aa99990665a9ff16c91818ca1865ec.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

@Shelby that green bean save is such a good idea. Rather than letting fresh vegetables get funky - blanch and gain a day or more.  Love the way you just tossed in oxtail ragu - kind of a big deal for most I think, In my top 20.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, heidih said:

What is with the grill hatch on the sweet potato? Messing with us?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=694359814787590

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Shelby that green bean save is such a good idea. Rather than letting fresh vegetables get funky - blanch and gain a day or more.  Love the way you just tossed in oxtail ragu - kind of a big deal for most I think, In my top 20.

This pandemic has really made me try a lot harder to not waste a single thing.  

LOL well, I didn't mean to sound flip about it.....but it was a really easy meal because I had the ragu already made and frozen :) 

8 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Not that special but quick and homemade fried rice for kidlet - I had the last of the Bacon and a bunch of eggs to use up (my child HATES eggs - loves the "yellow fluff" in fried rice though 🙄). (Over) tCooked the rice yesterday and fridged. Oyster sauce, soy, cooking wine, sesame oil (needed more oyster and soy for my taste but salt/seven). Handful of frozen veg & some spring onion. 10 minutes of my time and 10 points towards feeling better about my cooking rut. 

20201204_183157.thumb.jpg.718938ac8bd1debbacb10ff257c533b1.jpg

Nice, I did very similar w chicken (and side of Modello :

chkrice.thumb.jpg.39a5a6dc029f62181840fc16cd5ee2bb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

That wasn't chicken

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

This pandemic has really made me try a lot harder to not waste a single thing.  

LOL well, I didn't mean to sound flip about it.....but it was a really easy meal because I had the ragu already made and frozen :) 

I was just jealous. So pricey here these days.

32 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oddly that was tomorrow's breakfast plan though Pandemic driven I have no olives.

Funny, because I actually didn't care for the olives. Next time I'd keep them on the side.

• Haha 1

~ Shai N.

9 hours ago, KennethT said:

When I do Brussels sprouts, I separate them into their leaves (getting rid of the core).  I saute in a little grapeseed oil/s/p until decently browned and they get really sweet.  That's my favorite prep for them.

Same but no browning, only cooked barely enough with a drop of water, covered, at high heat a few minutes, no water left. Me and the husband like also cut in half face down in the blue steel until charred and just tender but the kids only like the first method.

Yesterday I make some steamed bread, some spanish charcuterie, xialongbao (bought) and sauté broccoli. Tonight I roasted a chicken, French beans, salad, some steamed rice and it is that time of the year, the husband went to Costco and couldn’t resist this cheap Serrano. 

AE594F2F-0A95-4603-8658-13CE128D47AE.jpeg

C5DBBF19-B8B6-4E7E-9361-4C60D23EA285.jpeg

DD84DBA9-1038-40AB-8B4C-3EAA358BC28E.jpeg

59861AD7-E15E-48BB-B065-042A228F4F3E.jpeg

9AD4AABE-6229-41B7-AB7C-F6400023A9E6.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

@Franci I love those steamed scallion knots. There are packaged ones at my 99 Ranch Market that are really excellent, My f favorite is to steam them and some Filipino longanisa and make sandwich bites with marinated cucumber. On the list when Pandemic settles.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1